Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent 3 hours this weekend trying to get Homelink to work based off following the instructions to the letter in the manual, on the Acura Owners website and the Homelink website and random Google fishing. Have a 2016 Chamberlain.

I cleared all codes at least 4 times. I tried the initial frequency pairing over 30 times. The Homelink light would continue slow flashing before it times out at between 53 and 56 flashes. I unplugged every light and electric item in the area in case of interference.

I took it on a drive and I finally got it to initially pair a quarter mile from my house at 50 flashes. But when I got home I tried about 10 times to set the second rolling code pairing, and the garage door would never recognize Homelink and turn off the learning light.

I guess it probably doesn't work at all and picked up someone else's garage door on my drive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
I recall I was in a loop like you.

I recall I had to erase the code (hold right and left buttons for 30 seconds until the lights flashed.

then put your garage opened in learning mode.

then hit the button on homelink that you want to train, press once and release. Then press and hold that button until flashes then press again Or again until the door closes.

the step I think I was missing was pressing the homelink button once before the press and hold.

·
Registered
581 Posts
IIRC you have to "teach" the HomeLink your remote before you put the door opener in learning mode. You didn't miss that step by chance?

Based on your description of what is happening the HomeLink is working fine and it's just a matter of you getting the programming set. I can relate to your difficulties as it can be a bear if you are having trouble understanding the sequencing for your particular opener.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did all that exactly as prescribed by Acura and Homelink. From memory...

Press and hold the outer buttons until the Homelink light flashes to clear memory

* Note you must do the next step successfully first and BEFORE pressing the learn button on the garage door for Homelink to learn the correct frequency. This is also the step that would not work in front of my house or in the garage, but worked several streets away.

Press and hold the Homelink button you want to program at the same time as pressing and holding the garage door remote button you want to program, until Homelink light flashes rapidly.

For rolling code garage door openers only, press and hold the Homelink button. Do not proceed unless it flashes rapidly for two seconds and switches to solid (it finally did)

Press the learn button on the garage door opener and complete the remaining steps within 30 seconds, with the vehicle as close to the garage door opener as possible, to program the rolling code.

Press and hold the Homelink button you are trying to program for 4 seconds. Release and repeat up to 3 times. On the 2nd or 3rd try the garage door light should flash and the learn light should extinguish (they never did). And the next press the garage door should activate (nope).

I tried this many times, with several permutations I found on the internet too. If anyone has gotten a different sequence to work, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recall I was in a loop like you.

I recall I had to erase the code (hold right and left buttons for 30 seconds until the lights flashed.

then put your garage opened in learning mode.

then hit the button on homelink that you want to train, press once and release. Then press and hold that button until flashes then press again Or again until the door closes.

the step I think I was missing was pressing the homelink button once before the press and hold.
That is not the officially published sequence. But I guess I didn't go that far off script. I'll try the next time I'm at my parents. Was trying to program theirs. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
FYI, there is a new version of homelink called 2.0 and if you have an older garage door opener you'll need an adapter. IF you have a newer door opener, I don't believe 1.0 will work with 2.0.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chamberlain says they switched to Security 2.0 in 2013, and my garage door opener data plate says it is manufactured in 2016. I thought that the yellow antenna wire it has also indicates 2.0.

Do you know if Homelink in this generation Acura is 1.0?

I went to the Homelink website and put in 2006 MDX. It didn't have my Chamberlain model number, but it did ask if it had a yellow antenna wire. It acted like they are compatible, but maybe it is a website error?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I just Google searched Homelink adapter, and in the Amazon reviews for Liftmaster 855lm it says required for all cars prior to 2011 with Security 2.0 garage doors.

So I guess shame on Homelink for not keeping their website up to date.

LiftMaster 855lm Homelink Repeater Kit
LiftMaster 855lm Homelink Repeater Kit - - Amazon.com

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think you are missing putting the garage door opener in learning mode, or whatever it is called. I remember having to climb my ladder, press a button, and then hurry to program the home link in the Acura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you are missing putting the garage door opener in learning mode, or whatever it is called. I remember having to climb my ladder, press a button, and then hurry to program the home link in the Acura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did that. It's paragraph 5, 6 and 7 in my 2nd post.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just saw Eric post a Homelink fix video for his "new" TL.

May be this helps:

Yep I'm pretty sure that is the answer. That is the exact same kit in my reply post #8. His is just branded Homelink, while the one I linked to is branded Liftmaster. At least for a short time, Homelink corporation was giving them away free to people. I'm sure that's over by now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts