Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I myself am just beginning to get myself involved in home audio after I just got my vintage Sansui G-6000 receiver back from the repair shop ($240 later, which I was happy to pay....the repairman was a true virtuoso). I am so impressed by the sound of it, that I need a little advise as to a really nice set of speakers to complement this unit (before which I may offer my father-in-law cash for his G-9000 that he has that's collecting dust). Any thoughts?

So any audiophiles out there? What do you run at home?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tim,

I am an audiophile wanna-be (I wanna-be but my wife doesn't wanna let me be!). Have you visited the "Speaker Shop" on Main Street across from UB South Campus? When I was in the area (before moving to Portland) they were mainly carrying B&W and Definitive with some electrostatics upstairs, but (IMHO) Ed and Guy are great resources and nice guys to BS with regardless.

BTW - I have Definitive 2002's with a Proton Tube. At the time I was more interested in Cinema rumble than refined acoustics.

Jason

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I've passed by there a thousand times, but never thought to stop in. Thanks for the idea! That's about 4 miles from my house.

I'm just getting my feet wet in this as well.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hey, Tim. Have you checked out avsforum? Here's a link to their home theater forums:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3

I've never been in 'em -- I usually lurk in the ReplayTV one and its pretty active and helpful. Hopefully same for the home theater one, too. Worth a look...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Surrong sound definitives

I have a full surrond sound system (two fronts, center, two rears, and sub) all made by Definitive. I've been extremely happy with the whole system, and the quality of the sound.

They have 'matched sets' that allow you to get all of the speakers from the same family.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

The Speaker Shop is awesome!!!

After going to several places around town, and listening to JBL, Sony, Yamaha, Polk Audio, Boston Accoustic, and several others, I ended up going with a very nice set of Paradigm shelf speakers from the Speaker Shop (www.speakershop.com). They gave the best tonal quality and depth of any of the small speakers that I heard, the B&W was my second choice....they had a very nice mellow sound to them, but I liked the brightness of the Paradigms. Total price around $270 for the pair.

The store was the impressive part though. They had a TV called a Loewe flat screen....I have never in my life seen such picture clarity on any set before....I could actually see every little line and detail in Bruce Willis' face as I watched some movie about him getting shot up in some futuristic taxicab (gotta get that movie, whatever it was) while my custom cables were being made up. The price was $3800 on the set....very reasonable for this superior instrument.

But upstairs was the neat part....a full Macintosh/B&W home theater setup, total price $200,000! Apparently they sell a few a year. I'm just going to save my nickels for the matching subwoofer to the Paradigm speakers. With that classic Sansui receiver, the sound is incredible! I generally listen to classical music, jazz, or swing on my system because I think that it allows me to fully appreciate the quality of the components (Great Uncle Gene Krupa would be proud).

Now, for the next question....is there any true difference in CD players, other that the amount of CDs that they store?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: update

hondacuraworld said:
...I could actually see every little line and detail in Bruce Willis' face as I watched some movie about him getting shot up in some futuristic taxicab (gotta get that movie, whatever it was...
The Fifth Element.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: update

hondacuraworld said:

Now, for the next question....is there any true difference in CD players, other that the amount of CDs that they store?

Well, aesthetics is always important!

Most of what CD players do is pretty generic - send out a digital signal to an amp, convert it to analog and pipe it to the speakers. The higher end ones allow more sophisticated programming, selecting or screening tracks, setting up edit lists, searching for peak volume so you can set your tape volume levels correctly.

And some have an element of design to them; this Bang & Olufsen, of course, nicely complements my silver MDX, and it's fun to watch the playback head zip across the CD array. Maybe there was a subconsious element to my choice in MDX colors... :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was actually thinking with going with a set of Beovox speakers before I bought the Paradigm Titans, but I couldn't find any locally. Is your whole system Bang & Olufsen, or just the CD?

I'm building my system one piece at a time to allow me to get better (and more expensive) components than I would regularly buy if I bought them all at once. I've found that www.epinions.com has been a great resource for anyone buying anything, the reviews are done by people who own the items.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Bang & Olufsen

I've been into B&O for about a dozen years, starting off by buying pieces from older models as new ones came on line; thus I have one of the original 2000 receivers (basically a 30 inch long, 1 inch tall silver and black bar), an 8004 tape deck in a rosewood cabinet, and a turntable from the 3000 system (remember turntables?:)). About 7 years ago I picked up a pair of Penta speakers (- 6 foot tall pentagonal towers back before there were tower speakers) out of the back room of a Dayton's warehouse, it was a real steal. These got me into their 'live systems', where data from the receiver is broadcast into windows on the speakers, so you can read out the volume and source info.

Finally when we remodeled our house, I designed and wired it to incorporate their Datalink system, so a remote pointed at the speaker in our dining room controls the CD player in the living room. It's too cool! I've got a couple connections waiting in some other rooms, for when I win the lottery.

Given that you seem to be a collector of, um, curious techologies, you'd probably enjoy the B&O stuff, they're a pretty remarkable company. The dealers are few and far between tho - I try to buy components out of state and have them shipped, saves a bundle on state tax (shh!). Bang and Olufsen of Chicago has been a great place.

Sorry bout the long post - I can go on about this stuff!! :D

Check out http://www.bang-olufsen.com/, a fun site.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Tim,
I have two Miller & Kriesel subwoofers. The one upstairs is for my audio system and is a 400W self-amplified unit. The neatest thing about it is it has a variable cross-over network on the back to plug in the two other speakers. This segregates the low frequencies to just the subwoofer and really cleans up the midrange. If your Sansui amp does not have a separate connection for a subwoofer like the audio-video amp in my downstairs surround sound system, then this might be something to consider as you build your system.

·
Registered
619 Posts
tim, if you haven't bought your speakers yet, try http://www.axiomaudio.com

there M3ti's(i think) were rated awesome. they should provide u with a link to the review. if you like them, the try http://www.audioshop.on.ca they have better prices, but they don't let u return it if you don't like it(unlike the axiom web site)

good luck

·
Registered
619 Posts
btw, for subs i would recommend Dr. Hsu Research subs. check out http://www.hsuresearch.com for more info.

they are supposed it be awesome for only $500 bucks. if your budget is lower, cosider energy subs, they are pretty good.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ended up buying Paradigm Titan bookshelf speakers, and I'm quite happy with them. The sub is the next step.

Have you heard any of the Hsu Research subs? I was committed to the Paradigm PW2500 (about $750) up until now, but I like the slender design of the TN series by Hsu. I don't know if I could really buy a speaker that I can't hear first....it's just difficult to judge whether you'll be happy or not until you hear them.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
Ended up buying Paradigm Titan bookshelf speakers, and I'm quite happy with them. The sub is the next step.

Have you heard any of the Hsu Research subs? I was committed to the Paradigm PW2500 (about $750) up until now, but I like the slender design of the TN series by Hsu. I don't know if I could really buy a speaker that I can't hear first....it's just difficult to judge whether you'll be happy or not until you hear them.
Good point Tim - all speakers have 'personality' - no matter how good a speaker looks on paper, there are lots of subjective aspects that relate more to what you like to hear rather than accurate reproduction. Do you like booming bass or crisp cutoffs? It will differ among subs.

Marshall Amps are a great case in point, when cranked up, the sound they put out is only marginally related to the signal they got; gotta love 'em! :D

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, honestly, I'm not a "booming bass" kinda guy, I really enjoy a crisp, well-balanced sound with appropriate highs and lows, and most importantly powerful lows and highs when needed. That is the main reason I chose the speakers I did.....my second choice was B&W.....they had very nice sound, but were a bit too mellow for my tastes (well, in this particular price range of under $500).

Although I do love to turn up the volume on my stereo, most of my time listening to it is spent with my son while we're playing with our Lionel train floor layout in the basement....so that's not really an option.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Tim,

Glad to see that MDXs and audiophiles run together. Another good on-line source is hifi.com. They have their own brand of speakers, yet carry plenty of electronics -- AND they have a 45-day return policy. Maybe even better would be audioadvisor.com; I got my newest CD player from them on close-out, a Marantz CD67SE.

Yes, there's a definite difference between CD players -- but you need good speakers and good electronics to hear the difference. A friend of mine can't stand Sony players for more than a few minutes (they make him "jittery"), but thinks that Phillips/Marantz/Pioneer (among the affordable brands) are easy on the ears. Your speakers are a good start. Next thing y'know, you'll be reading Stereophile -- proof that you're hooked!

BTW, I've been in the Speaker Shop while visiting Buffalo. Very nice, and you also have one or two other good high-end hi-fi places there (I just can't recall their names; one was a small cinder-block building with bars on the windows, but with GREAT sounds inside).

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now you have me wondering where that shop is....hmm...

I may just end up buying a CD player from audioadvisor.com....I only had a couple of minutes to check the site out yesterday, so maybe I'll have a chance to look at it today.

My eBay buy of a pair of Sansui speakers came in yesterday from Colorado, so I'm going to play with those. Can't remember the model number offhand, but they come each with a 12" woofer, two 6" midrange, and 3 tweeters. The cabinets were toasted, so I had the seller ship the speakers, fronts, and crossovers so that I could either do build-ins in the living room, or, more likely, make a winter project of making new hardwood cabinets for them. I won the bid on these before I bought my current speakers, so I was kinda stuck with them. Maybe I'll paint the speakers tan, make burlwood cabinets for them, and tape microphones to the top and pass them off as $25,000 B&W's!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Tim,

Remember one thing -- trust your ears, not just what someone else tells you. And calibrate those ears now and then by listening to LIVE acoustic music -- Buffalo has a great symphony (I've heard them in Kleinhan's, as well as in Raleigh [eons ago]), plus I'm sure there are jazz clubs that are intimate enough that the music isn't amplified. As soon as music goes through amps and speakers, that's what you're hearing: the amps and the speakers. And take in a piano recital now and then; piano is a good touchstone for most folks.

Most folks who love music will agree that a system that does most things right, but perhaps doesn't have the highest highs or the lowest lows, sounds better than a system that covers both ends but adds stuff to the midrange that shouldn't be there. Another way to put it is that subtractive sins are better than additive sins.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts