Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Question for the forum, I have a 2016 Acura MDX, SH-AWD with ADV+ENT and I was wondering if it is detrimental to the car for me to skip placing the car in Park (P), and just hit the Start/Stop button while the car is still in another gear such as D/S (Drive) or Reverse (R)? I've done this a couple of times accidentally. I noticed that it immediately defaults to Park, but was wondering if this is bad for the car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hello,

Question for the forum, I have a 2016 Acura MDX, SH-AWD with ADV+ENT and I was wondering if it is detrimental to the car for me to skip placing the car in Park (P), and just hit the Start/Stop button while the car is still in another gear such as D/S (Drive) or Reverse (R)? I've done this a couple of times accidentally. I noticed that it immediately defaults to Park, but was wondering if this is bad for the car.

Thanks!
You should be fine. See below:

Ok here we go: page 350 - turning off engine while vehicle is stationary and transmission is not in P, it will automatically go to P.

Page 351 says press brake pedal, shift to N, press start/stop within 5 seconds and it goes to ACC mode for 15 mins, then it goes to P and shuts off. Hitting P during this ACC mode cancels ACC and powers off the car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
should be ok. it's all controlled by computers now so no matter how you do it, it will always follow the protocol.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I do if all the time. I love that feature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
agreed. great feature. crazy thing is we're first time parents with a toddler and sometimes i'm so tired i get in the MDX and press the "D" button on the transmission selector wondering why the car won't start and then i look down. muscle memory fail. :) but seriously as others have posted you will be fine just pressing the engine on/off button.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should be fine. See below:

Ok here we go: page 350 - turning off engine while vehicle is stationary and transmission is not in P, it will automatically go to P.

Page 351 says press brake pedal, shift to N, press start/stop within 5 seconds and it goes to ACC mode for 15 mins, then it goes to P and shuts off. Hitting P during this ACC mode cancels ACC and powers off the car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I recall seeing this. I think this is what you would do if you were running the car through a car wash. For those who run your car through a car wash, do you just leave the car in Neutral idling the whole time? When I had a mechanical shifter, I would put the car in neutral and then shut off the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello,

...I was wondering if it is detrimental to the car for me to skip placing the car in Park (P), and just hit the Start/Stop button while the car is still in another gear such as D/S (Drive) or Reverse (R)?
Thanks!
Yeah like others mentioned here, this is normal. I actually also find it quite handy feature because it automatically places ignition into "Accessory" mode, so if you are planning to remain in the car and continue listening to Radio etc., this is the way you want to turn it off. Otherwise if you switch into Park - then Off, your Radio shuts down and you need to wait ~ 20 sec to put it back into Accessory mode again without starting the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts