Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for the first time in my life I am without a truck and never had an SUV. The Mdx has the factory hitch, and I need to transport four bikes. What am I looking for in a bike rack? The range in pricing is pretty extreme. Do I need a Yakima? What's good?

Mdx folks plead school me on bike racks.

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use the same one, no issues and not too pricey. Nice thing is that you can tilt it back and be able to open your hatch. Holds 4 bikes nicely but takes a bit of adjusting/tilting the bikes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm a total newb too and wanted to know the pros and cons of different bike racks:
1) Hollywood racks - attaches via rubber coated clamps and straps:
PROS - no hitch required if you dont already have one, portable
CONS - prone to dents and scratches over time, regardless of what the manufacturer says, and no security

2) Swingman - Attaches to towing hitch and swings sideways to allow access to the trunk
PROS - no need to take off the bikes to access the trunk
CONS - not sure???

3) Thules - has a variety of different types

4) K2 (listed above)..

Does anyone have a strong preference/opinion on which is the best? I do not have a towing hitch so that would be an extra $400-500 bucks cost. Which is why I would lean towards the trunk/hollywood rack style...

thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you have carbon fiber frames, you don't want anything touching the frame. Platform type hitch mounts are what you want. But most of them are bulky, heavy and difficult to store. The ratcheting ones are very convenient in use; it takes literally seconds to get a bike mounted or removed. A couple minutes for 4 bikes and you're on your way.

If you have aluminum frames you have a lot more flexibility. You may get paint damage with some racks, but it will be strictly cosmetic.

With any rack, be careful with cable locks. I had a bad experience during a spring road trip years ago. We got into a snow storm late at night on I25 near Colorado Springs, and a jack-knifed semi across the road convinced me it was time to spend the night somewhere. The 4 bikes on our hitch rack were plastered with frozen slush, so I decided not to take them inside, but I threw a cable lock on them and figured they weren't going anywhere. I forgot to take off the cable lock when we got going in the morning, and the grit in the slush wore through paint and into the carbon fiber on two bikes. Not good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you have carbon fiber frames, you don't want anything touching the frame. Platform type hitch mounts are what you want. But most of them are bulky, heavy and difficult to store. The ratcheting ones are very convenient in use; it takes literally seconds to get a bike mounted or removed. A couple minutes for 4 bikes and you're on your way.

If you have aluminum frames you have a lot more flexibility. You may get paint damage with some racks, but it will be strictly cosmetic.

With any rack, be careful with cable locks. I had a bad experience during a spring road trip years ago. We got into a snow storm late at night on I25 near Colorado Springs, and a jack-knifed semi across the road convinced me it was time to spend the night somewhere. The 4 bikes on our hitch rack were plastered with frozen slush, so I decided not to take them inside, but I threw a cable lock on them and figured they weren't going anywhere. I forgot to take off the cable lock when we got going in the morning, and the grit in the slush wore through paint and into the carbon fiber on two bikes. Not good.
Thanks Wanderlust. Great tip regarding slush and carbon fiber, I guess there was a lot of harsh road salt mixed into it. I had no idea that could happen so easily. I was planning to get a carbon fiber one, so good to know. Is there a ratcheting model that you recommend?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transporting four bikes together on a rack will be quite difficult for as you are doing it for the first time. There are several companies that offer transportation services in reasonable price. Hiring a transporting service can prove to be pocket friendly then purchasing an expensive rack. Before you buy a rack explore: <style type="text/css"> body,div,table,thead,tbody,tfoot,tr,th,td,p { font-family:"Liberation Sans"; font-size:x-small } a.comment-indicator:hover + comment { background:#ffd; position:absolute; display:block; border:1px solid black; padding:0.5em; } a.comment-indicator { background:red; display:inline-block; border:1px solid black; width:0.5em; height:0.5em; } comment { display:none; } </style>wewilltransportit.com and find out about transporting services, just a suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts