Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a hitch for my bike carrier. Anybody have any feedback for the OEM hitch? I really like the design and how it integrates to the bumper. If not the OEM, what other brands do all of you recommend.

FYI, I am looking at the Thule Helium carrier. It fits 1.25 and 2 receivers. It should connect to the OEM hitch right?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just had the OEM put in, looks good.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
MikeyLikesIt - Thanks for posting that DIY video link. Whoever created the video did a great job of documenting the hitch install.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i had the OEM put in w/ the transmission cooler. intentions were to eventually buy a boat. in the meantime, i use a thule 3 bike rack with it to carry the mountain bikes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible to install this without lifting the car?

Also how is the OEM hitch bike carrier compared to an aftermarket model?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Regarding the transmission cooler. I see no mention of that when looking at the accessory list for the 2016. Is it already installed, or does it come with the hitch and they just don't mention it?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Not sure if Acura/Honda has it ready for independent sale yet. Some folks have gotten it from their dealers, but for an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@Tk288

2", rated to 3500# w/o transmission cooler, 5000#with a trans cooler installed. tongue weight is 500#

FWIW a performance trans cooler (non-OEM) costs ~$50 and are two hoses and 4 ties to install, so that's an easy way to preserve your trans in the long run and save a few bucks too (if you're out of warranty anyway)

·
Registered
869 Posts
The dealer told me the 2016 with the 9-speed is only rated to 2000 lbs. The 14-15 with the 6-speed can go to 5000 properly equipped like you showed. Just an FYI
Straight from Acura's spec sheet for 2016 MDX:

Towing Capacity
3500 lbs. with 350-lb tongue weight*
*Towing capacity can be increased to 5000 lbs on MDX SH-AWD with dealer-installed accessory

Owner's Manual for 2016 MDX says the same, pg 327.

9-speed tranny cooler has custom piping to interface with the tranny and has been on backorder status. Tranny cooler for 6-speed uses typical ATF line hoses and is available.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I ordered Curt concealed hitch from Autoanything for $140 (free shipping). No need to cut or disassemble anything. I'll be using it for bike rack only anyway therefore couldn't justify spending bunch of cash on an OEM. Acura tow hitch and trans cooler is way overpriced, IMHO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Straight from Acura's spec sheet for 2016 MDX:

Towing Capacity
3500 lbs. with 350-lb tongue weight*
*Towing capacity can be increased to 5000 lbs on MDX SH-AWD with dealer-installed accessory

Owner's Manual for 2016 MDX says the same, pg 327.

9-speed tranny cooler has custom piping to interface with the tranny and has been on backorder status. Tranny cooler for 6-speed uses typical ATF line hoses and is available.
That is what the dealer told me. I guess the dealer misled me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had the OEM hitch installed on my 2016. The sticker on the hitch does say 3500 LBS. I had the dealer install it before taking delivery of the car. We never discussed the cooler as my hitch is solely used for a bike rack and possibly later a small cargo box.

The user manual also says 3500#

1 - 19 of 19 Posts