Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow MDXers...
Have a 2020 MDX with factory hitch, looking at options for a SINGLE tray-style bike rack that is hitch mounted. I currently have a Yakima Hold Up, which is a tray style and holds two bikes. In the upright/storage position, it does not allow one to open hatch. It will when open but no bikes, and when titled open with bikes... Standard operations for most tray style racks...

I really want a bike rack that when upright/closed will allow the rear hatch to open freely. This allows rack to 1) stay on all the time, 2) stay out of the way and not bite your shins, and 3) allow the family to open and close the hatch with fear of damage...

Does anyone out there have hands-on experience with any of these?
First Choice, the Rocky Mount Solo and the stock photos are of a 3rd Gen MDX, but the hitch is aftermarket and is lower than OEM, thus may impact hatch clearance that is evident from the stock photos...

This one from One Up or perhaps this from One Up too - and they both have dimensions on the website, but short of building some type of jig, no way to tell about hatch clearance. And of course I am not near stores that have options for hands-on...

Hoping someone has one some feedback, or another suggestion from the real world... thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello fellow MDXers...
Have a 2020 MDX with factory hitch, looking at options for a SINGLE tray-style bike rack that is hitch mounted. I currently have a Yakima Hold Up, which is a tray style and holds two bikes. In the upright/storage position, it does not allow one to open hatch. It will when open but no bikes, and when titled open with bikes... Standard operations for most tray style racks...

I really want a bike rack that when upright/closed will allow the rear hatch to open freely. This allows rack to 1) stay on all the time, 2) stay out of the way and not bite your shins, and 3) allow the family to open and close the hatch with fear of damage...

Does anyone out there have hands-on experience with any of these?
First Choice, the Rocky Mount Solo and the stock photos are of a 3rd Gen MDX, but the hitch is aftermarket and is lower than OEM, thus may impact hatch clearance that is evident from the stock photos...

This one from One Up or perhaps this from One Up too - and they both have dimensions on the website, but short of building some type of jig, no way to tell about hatch clearance. And of course I am not near stores that have options for hands-on...

Hoping someone has one some feedback, or another suggestion from the real world... thanks!
I didn't get any online feedback, nor were emails to the various manufactures helpful. Thought I would post this follow up for posterity...

I pulled the trigger anyway, and am pleased to report the Rocky Mount Solo works flawlessly. If you want the convenience of using the power hatch and a bike rack you can leave on w/o interference (by inches, so no issues at all), here's a great option:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts