Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I experienced with my 2002 MDX Touring. To be clear, the following repair items were not part of the scheduled maintenance -- I did all the scheduled maintenance like I was supposed to do, but the following additional repair costs were incurred outside of that:

11/2001 -- purchased the 2002 MDX Touring

Nothing other than regular maintenance until about 68,000 miles (> 8 years from purchase date):

3/2010 (i.e. >8 years after purchase date), 68,000 miles -- Front engine mount

4/2011 78,300 miles -- transmission started to lunge at lower gears

9/2012 95,000 miles -- 2nd row middle seat safe seat belt would not retract

1/2013 102,000 miles -- CV boot, Front and side engine mount

11/2013 112.000 miles -- Front sway bar bushings/links, front struts/mounts, rear and front arm bushings

4/2015 128,000 miles -- Rear main seal, front pump seal, 4th gear pressure switch

3/2016 brake caliper mount bolt, front axle shafts

6/2017 145,000 miles -- Needs shocks, power steering pump, and there is an oil leak from some seal that would be expensive to replace. And she needs new tires and a brake job, which I know are unavoidable maintenance items. At this point we decided to buy a new MDX.

Overall, the 2002 MDX performed well. It never stranded us anywhere in 15 years, so I am grateful for that. While I wish it could have held up better in the later years, I think it did well enough -- enough so that I am buying another one in a few days.

I have seen a healthy debate on this site as to the cost effectiveness of Acuracare extended warranty. I hope my data here can shed some light, if any, to the other owners. That is my intent in providing this information (even if it's for a much older car). FYI, I am leaning towards getting the Acuracare for 8 years/120,00 miles just because of all the electronics that's on the newer cars. I did not have extended warranty on the 2002 MDX.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The extended warranty from HondaCare (That's it's real name..haha) is excellent. Never buy it from the dealer, buy it from an online dealer and save $$$$
I can't remember if CV boots and and Bushings are covered though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts