Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did the EGR cleaning as preventative maintenance and cleaning the TB at 111K miles on my father in laws 2008 MDX. Now I am experiencing this issue with the idle being a little high. What are your recommendations for an OBDII tool that can reset the TPS so the re-learn procedure can happen. I read about the Foxwell NT510 but they all say for BMW and Benz so I didn't buy. Can you guys make some recommendations on obdII tool that does this reset without breaking the bank? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
What do you guys think of the Foxwell NT650? Does it work on Acura to reset the TPS?

Talk to Skirmich or search for his post on this related issue. He will tell you exactly what you will need to do. He had the exact same problem after cleaning the throttle body. You will have to go to the dealer and they will reprogram the original (default) values.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. Acura dealer is the only solution here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
He had it reset in Mexico for only $20. for op, buying Honda specific NT510 should be better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the Foxwell NT650 tonight. It specifically states that it can reset the TPS. I will post the results when I get it

·
Registered
354 Posts
There has to be some RESET without going to the dealer. After I dropped the transmission of my X to replace the main rear oil seal, the engine RPMs came back erratic and low with engine almost stalling. I had to do the re-learn procedure to get the RPMs steady and in order. 15 minutes later of re-learn, the engine was smooth as usual. So, I do not know how it happened. The only anomaly was the battery was disconnected for three days from start to finish of the job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I read the NT510 allows for 1 free software to be loaded on the device. The confusing factor for me was not knowing if it comes preloaded or not because I saw some for BMW's listed on eBay so I stayed away and decided for the extra money to get a device that will work on more than 1 brand of vehicles

·
Registered
306 Posts
you need to clear the throttle plate learned value, it is different from an idle relearn. over time as carbon accumulates on the throttle plate the ecu will adjust the "zero" position to accommodate. now that the carbon is gone the learned value is no longer correct. the HDS even has a "carbon accumulation check" it can run which looks at this learned value to tell you weather its time to clean the throttle plate. not sure if this terminology equates to what your scanner calls a TPS reset. i am only familiar with hondata.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
There has to be some RESET without going to the dealer. After I dropped the transmission of my X to replace the main rear oil seal, the engine RPMs came back erratic and low with engine almost stalling. I had to do the re-learn procedure to get the RPMs steady and in order. 15 minutes later of re-learn, the engine was smooth as usual. So, I do not know how it happened. The only anomaly was the battery was disconnected for three days from start to finish of the job.
The re-learn you did is to allow the car to learn the position of the throttle plate whether it is correct or not. The scan tool allows you to adjust the position to the correct place if it is wrong. Different issues.

Reactions: PRGonzalez

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
From what I read the NT510 allows for 1 free software to be loaded on the device. The confusing factor for me was not knowing if it comes preloaded or not because I saw some for BMW's listed on eBay so I stayed away and decided for the extra money to get a device that will work on more than 1 brand of vehicles
I am truly puzzled by Foxwell's product numbering system. If you can give us some insight here, I am all ears.

One NT644 can buy 3 NT510 ...
But NT650 is only 188 here
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Foxwell-NT650-OBD2-Car-Diagnostic-Tool-Engine-ABS-SRS-Airbag-13-Reset-function-Auto-Scanner-Automotivo/32913915448.html

Anyone tried to buy from AliExpress? If anything goes wrong, can we argue with credit card company?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought from eBay. It was listed for $195 or best offer. They accepted $175 and it is new. If it works as described, it is worth it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i was able to buy HDS software and a dedicated cheapo laptop running win XP for less than that. if all you own is hondas like i do, its a no brainer, nothing beats HDS.

·
Registered
354 Posts
i was able to buy HDS software and a dedicated cheapo laptop running win XP for less than that. if all you own is hondas like i do, its a no brainer, nothing beats HDS.
Where at ?, I have been interested in getting HDS for a long time with no avail. There are four Acuras and one Honda at my household

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Foxwell NT650 arrived today. I plugged in and in less than 2 minutes, the TPS was reset. It was very easy.
Thanks! This is very helpful. Can you take a look at the TPMS system and tell me what kind of info is available? I might have to get one myself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts