Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone else has seen the hood oscillating vertically while driving around 70+ mph. The oscillation would look like the hood is not completely engaged to the front lock. I have seen mine oscillating about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. When stopped, the hood is completely engaged and the hood is not loose at all.

After a detailed observation, I found the underlying metal sheet of the hood is unglued from the top metal sheet. The hood's hook is attached to the underlying (bottom) metal sheet of the hood and this sheet is glued to the top metal sheet. By the way, my hood has the air deflector. So, at high speed, the hood wants to lift due to the high wind velocity acting over the hood/deflector surface; and because the bottom layer is unglued from the top metal sheet, the bottom layer flexes allowing the up and down movement of fractions of one inch in the top metal sheet of the hood. I hope I explained well the issue.

My problem at this time is to find a glue and way to re-glue both metal sheets again across the complete hood.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
338 Posts
What about JB Weld?

I have not noticed my hood moving at all and I do mostly highway driving.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think JB Weld would be doable.

The next question is what tool to use to keep both layers pressed while the glue is curing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can get vices from home hardware, or lowes if need be. As long as your just gluing the front edge, that should do it

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can get vices from home hardware, or lowes if need be. As long as your just gluing the front edge, that should do it

Well, the thing is I need to glue the middle sections. The front and lateral edges of the two metal sheets are in good order. It is at the inner contact points of the two metal sheets that the factory glue failed.

I know one possible option might be removing the hood and do vacuum bagging.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've seen a Dentless technician work hail damage out of a hood.

If the dent is on top of an area that has reinforcement, he will use one of his tools to separate the reinforcement.
It's usually a flexible factory glue (you can stab it with your thumb nail or car key).
Then he can work the dent out.

If you go to a Automobile Paint Store (not a general auto parts store) they sell the bonding agent to glue the pieces of metal back together.

The JB Weld idea isn't going to hold up over time, because it's not flexible (it drys hard as glass) and as you mentioned, the hood does have some play and yours has more play than most.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carpayment,

Now that you mention it, you are right about JBW. It is not flexible and it will break with time. I will do a search on metal bonding agents to see what options there are.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Spring clamps found an any hardware store or even Harbor Freight.

Or ratcheting ones

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

phins2rt,

Great!!! So, I am not the only one with the issue and Acura already knew about it. I found the TSB and I will get the 3M bonding sealant.

How long ago did you glue your hood?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
phins2rt,

Great!!! So, I am not the only one with the issue and Acura already knew about it. I found the TSB and I will get the 3M bonding sealant.

I think it was last summer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
phins2rt,

I just went through this same exact thing a week ago. Ive even got a hood deflector too. I went to home depot and bought construction adhesive loctite power grab in a red plastic tube. It is PU based so it should stay flexibe. Also do not clamp anything. So far so good for me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got the work done. I used some sprinkler spares for putting some pressure to the lower skin metal against the top hood skin.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts