Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....as stated before we just bought an 04 and an 06 for my sisters family. I was over at her house yesterday and we were jockeying cars around to make room in driveway.......she started the 04 and there was the typical Honda/Acura sound that we are all familiar with....then she started the 06 and it was a higher pitched noise while starting and it seemed to extend beyond the start for about a full second.....then the car purred like a kitten. Didnt sound like belt noise to me.....this sounded like a starter issue or whatever the starter engages. I did a search and found 2 posts on this subject from a few years back............one suggested starter sticking.....the other was something about teeth missing on ring gear?

Now to me....starter sounds easy to fix no worries.......ring gear teeth does no sound so easy..............what do u guys think the issue is?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was able to find a couple more threads on this subject by doing a google search. It appears that i need to remove the starter and clean/lube/replace and save big bucks....

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yes, it's almost certainly the dreaded dry starter syndrome (though I did just make up that name...). Mine's done it since I bought it months ago, and I do have a new starter that the previous owner included with the car, but haven't got around to doing anything with it yet (first, too much travel, then, Arizona summer). It doesn't sound like a big job - from what I can read, you just disconnect the battery, move a few hoses out of the way, unbolt it and pull the starter out, re-lube the shaft, and re-install. I just figure I'll wait until it's NOT 105+ (the nasty sound is less pain than frying in my engine compartment).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok....as stated before we just bought an 04 and an 06 for my sisters family. I was over at her house yesterday and we were jockeying cars around to make room in driveway.......she started the 04 and there was the typical Honda/Acura sound that we are all familiar with....then she started the 06 and it was a higher pitched noise while starting and it seemed to extend beyond the start for about a full second.....then the car purred like a kitten. Didnt sound like belt noise to me.....this sounded like a starter issue or whatever the starter engages. I did a search and found 2 posts on this subject from a few years back............one suggested starter sticking.....the other was something about teeth missing on ring gear?

Now to me....starter sounds easy to fix no worries.......ring gear teeth does no sound so easy..............what do u guys think the issue is?

Thanks
I had a strange sound on my 2004 that sounded like my starter was hanging up for a few seconds after the engine started....I changed out the starter with an aftermarket model about 4 years ago and the strange sound went away. It took me maybe a couple of hours from start to finish to do the job - it's a little tight and I do remember I had to remove the battery and the battery tray but overall it was a pretty simple job.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I read a few times that sometimes a new aftermarket starter doesnt solve the problem......so I guess if I were to install a new starter of any kind I would grease the crap out of it prior to installing......

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yes, greasing the starter's shaft is a great idea no matter what starter you're putting in. Whether the ideal amount of grease is enough to fill the entire cavity, or a light schmear seems to be up for debate, but certainly some grease is a good thing.

I was thinking of drilling an access hole in the starter housing, and leaving a tiny little hose in place that I could use to spray in some white lithium grease if it ever acts up again - it would be a whole lot easier than removing the starter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Habbyguy....brilliant idea......u could install a zirc fitting.....and just use a grease gun on it every 6 months. Have we determined which is the best grease to use on the starter yet?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've read several different takes on the issue - some want high-tech synthetic grease (either a light schmear or loads of it) and I've seen others opting for something a lot lighter. I can kind of see the point behind either, but really it comes down to the mechanical clearances between the moving bits, and the environment they're in. In any event, if you had the option of squirting in a bit more grease any time the shaft got dry, I suspect you could get away with lots of options - basically, anything that would keep the shaft lubed enough for the starter gear to slide back down easily. I wouldn't doubt you could get away with using motor oil or something even lighter than that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the trick here is keeping the lubricant on the moving part or in the zone. If it was a sealed area some mystery oil in there would be awesome......well I cant wait to get my hands on this starter and get the job done. Its my sisters car.....so i will have to scoop it up and drag it to my man cave garage so I can enjoy the DIY

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still havent fixed this issue on my sisters car. Now I am wondering if it is possible to rig a long straw or something like it so I can spray inside of starter cavity. Is there an opening on the starter cavity that is exposed to the elements? I realize I cant spray heavy grease.....but there are some really good can lubes these days....if I could get lucky and spray the shaft....this might quiet the starter for a while.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just get a rebuilt starter and change it out. I did the lube and replace a couple times before it finally quit. I got real good at replacement though and I can do it in about 20 min., give or take now. The first rebuilt starter I bought didn't work at all....
Make sure they bench test it in the parts store before you leave.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ......I like the Steelers too.......I bandwagoned them during the 3 superbowl run.....even bought a Franco Harris jersey :) .....anyway a couple of questions for you.

Do u recommend OEM rebuild ...aftermarket or what?
How much did it cost you?
My sisters car has had this high pitched whine for about 3 months now.....how long will it work til it dies? Do u think cold weather will make it die faster?

I watched a youtube video on replacing......but this guy only went in once....u have been in several times....

Did u remove battery?
Did u remove any hoses?
Any tips or tricks?

I will be doing the repair in the coming weeks...

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks ......I like the Steelers too.......I bandwagoned them during the 3 superbowl run.....even bought a Franco Harris jersey :) .....anyway a couple of questions for you.

Do u recommend OEM rebuild ...aftermarket or what?
How much did it cost you?
My sisters car has had this high pitched whine for about 3 months now.....how long will it work til it dies? Do u think cold weather will make it die faster?

I watched a youtube video on replacing......but this guy only went in once....u have been in several times....

Did u remove battery?
Did u remove any hoses?
Any tips or tricks?

I will be doing the repair in the coming weeks...

Thanks
Rock Auto has new starters starting at under $80.......I think I bought a TYC starter and have had it installed for at least 3 years now ( I think) and it's been flawless.

When I replaced my 2004 starter, I removed the battery and battery tray - I have read somewhere here on the forum that you don't have to remove the battery and tray but it seemed to be much easier with the battery removed.

No hoses had to be disconnected. It was a pretty easy job. Direct bolt on no shims or gaps to set.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool sounds good. I almost always go OEM.....but with OEM costing 3 times aftermarket I couldnt resisit. I purchased a starter from A1 auto after looking at all options for about 2 hours. They have lifetime warranty and even offer roadside assistance. Now I am hoping I wont need either but just the fact that they offer it shows me they stand behind their product. The part was only $119.00......TYC had them for $80 all day long but a few bad reviews scared me away......note there were many good reviews as well. I will slap this thing on next week sometime if the snow clears by then.

Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got an OEM starter and lubricated it before my local mechanic changed it a month ago. He charged me $75. Now it 's going to last for another 10 years with a recent valve adjustment from dealer ($500 in LA)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cant beat OEM......but $500 stings a bit much......Gotta keep some cash in the hopper in case the tranny goes south........sure hope it doesnt though

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well well well.......that starter kicked my butt. Granted I always take my time to enjoy the project.....but there were a couple of hick ups that were tricky. Honestly I would not recommend this project for most DIYers....hard to quantify who is right for the job.....but I found it to be quite challenging. Here are some highlights....

Removed battery and battery trey....pretty easy

removed right side cable and small connector....easy

tried to loosen top bolt on starter...it was stuck hard!! Eventually got it to break free using a breaker bar.

tried to loosen bottom bolt....it was frozen...used PB Blaster and breaker bar 20 minutes later got it loose. This is all by feel and in a very very tight space. Most of my stress was removing those 2 bolts.

Finally tried to remove that damn clip bottom right side in a very tight area....it was rusty...and I was moving the release tab in the wrong direction....eventually I used a mini grinder to cut the damn plastic holder off of the wire harness...once in my vice I popped it right out. I was pissed!

Pulled starter out and installed new TYC starter.....the only difficult part is getting the correct socket wrench and adapter to fit in the tight spaces. Also I found it very odd in that when tightening w breaker bar the bolts never seemed to hit bottom....I was worried they were spinning out so I just left them as very snug.

Went to start car after hours of fighting.......nothing....nada....not a damn thing! Removed it at the rate of 5 times faster then my first attempt and had old one reinstalled in a jiffy.....car started right up with old starter...but still with whining noise.

Now I am confident that i can remove and reinstall in under an hour.....but i caution the faint at heart this job isnt a no brainer and requires a darn good set of sockets and wrenches.

A1 Auto is sending me another unit....I am apprehensive about it but will try one more time. My install was a real battle....Im kinda pissed I got a defective unit......I assume it was defective.....kinda hard to screw up the install.....2 bolts....3 connections........

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It's possible that you weren't getting a good ground on the TYC starter if the bolts weren't really (!) tight.

Anyway, I had a new starter (came with the car when I bought it), but I opted to just clean and grease the new one instead. It's been 4-5 months now, and it's still nice and quiet. I figure it's not all that tough to replace it if the original starter starts squealing again.

Also, I didn't find it necessary to remove the battery tray, but I did have the throttle body off while I was doing the valves and plugs, so had a bit more room to work. The job isn't TOO bad if you're comfortable working by feel, and have a reasonably complete assortment of tools.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya the issue is the tight space and the fact that the bolts do not move freely...at least not in my car. It really makes a big difference regarding what u remove to do the job. Next time i will remove the two plastic engine covers and maybe leave the battery in. Ya know I wouldnt be surprised if the TYC starter was a hard tap....or ground away from working. As for the bolts it hard to explain. the space is so tight that I got the bolts as tight as humanly possible with my standard socket and then moved to my 30" pipe....it was odd that I could keep turning the bolts w the pipe...I thought one was gunna break so I stopped. Does the starter get its ground from being bolted to the engine or from on of the wires that are attached. I have an air wrench that I will use next time......How tough are those bolts?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Those bolts are only supposed to be torqued to 33 foot/pounds... that's not much, particularly if you're using a 30" pipe (unless you were pushing that pipe with a couple fingers). It's easy to get them plenty tight with a standard 3/8" drive socket. I'm guessing you very likely stripped out the threads in the block, so you might have trouble with the starter loosening up (and losing its ground) in the future.

I know it SEEMS like those bolts need to be gorilla-tight, because they can be difficult to break loose... but that's not the case at all. They're just difficult to get a good angle on, and years of environmental action (salt, water, dirt) on the bolts can make them tougher to remove as well (I'm no expert on this living in Arizona, of course). ;-)

And yes, the ground IS supplied by the starter body being bolted to the engine block - there's no extra wire carrying the ground.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts