Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2004 mdx Touring. Had it since Feb 10 2018.
I don’t remember hearing this issue during test drive. I never would have bought it if I did.

When pushing gas and in cruise control the engine or something makes a high pitch hum that the pitch gets higher the faster I go. It starts for sure around 30mph and goes up in pitch the faster I go. If I let off the gas it starts to go away a little. They told me if I used D4 the sound would go away. It does not.

Acura dealer said this is the tranny. Is it? They said the only fix is a new $8k tranny. Is this true? That’s more then I paid for it. I want to take it somewhere else and get a second opinion. I paid $6500 Plus tax and license etc. about $7500 or so total. Then $3100 on top of that at the Acura dealer for an inspection and fixes.

I can’t stand this noise. I have major Anxiety disorder and OCD big time and the sound kinda hurts my ears.

I would really appreciate some feedback from you all. I’m feeling really bad and really need some help. My parents bought me the car and it was my pick. It’s my first car. And now I want to get rid of it for something else because of this issue and I feel terrible.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
you paid $6500 for a 2004 MDX Touring? Yikes, bro. That sounds unbelievably over-priced, to me!

Why are you pressing the gas pedal while using cruise control?

Are you saying the noise doesn't happen when cruise control isn't on? Assuming this is true, then I doubt the transmission is the problem.

The easy solution is to use cruise when you want to rely on cruise... But if you're going to use the throttle, manually, turn cruise control off. Simple.

If I misunderstood, please provide more information.

Also, I know you have some anxiety and maybe other issues... Talk some breaths, or do whatever helps you to calm down a bit. Of all the problems for a car to have this sounds like NOTHING... Definitely not something to trade a car in, over. Life will throw you lots of curve balls... Gotta take them in stride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You misunderstood.
The sound is there while in cruise and while not in cruise but pushing the gas.
Anytime it’s accelerating. Only coasting it’s not there.

The sound really bothers me and kinda hurts my ears.

I have a video on you tube of the issue. I’ll try to post a link.

https://youtu.be/H8xzrRHdKVo

·
Registered
962 Posts
Very common in early 21st century MDX and Honda Odyssey transmissions. Does require a a tranny tear-down to fix. They can go more than 100K miles after the noise shows up if nothing else goes wrong.

INFO HERE:

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/powertrain-pro-automatic-transmission/these-transmissions-need-quit-their-whining

Suggest:

1. Do 2 or 3 "Drain and fill" fluid changes. Use only Honda/Acura fluid. Put on about 100 miles between each change. Very easy to do yourself. DO NOT get talked into a "Flush". Honda engineering specifically recommends against it.

2. If the first fluid change comes out very dark or has a burned smell, you may have other internal problems.

3. Just gotta learn to live with the noise. I had it for the last 50K miles on my 2005. Yea, it bugged me, but I learned to tune it out. Cranking the Audio System volume up helps. :)

BTW - If you want to do the changes yourself, a case of 12 quarts of genuine fluid is available from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-quart/dp/B01B1B2ARC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521856689&sr=8-4&keywords=honda+transmission+fluid

If you have a Carquest store nearby, they sometimes sell it a a fair price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
I won’t do anything myself and Acura already has done flushes on something I don’t remember. They said I need a new tranny. Is that true? Or can this be fixed realitively cheap?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts