Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to stock up on oil now that Walmart has a sale on Mobile 1.

I have been using 0/20 (standard advance full synthetic)

Should I switch to the high-milage formula I have close to 90k miles on the 2015.

I don’t plan on using the extended milage formula as I don’t like to go that long between changes.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
No. Stick with the regular 0W20.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Follow the manufacturer recommendation - 0W20.

I think many of these oil variants are gimmicky and would rarely provide a practical benefit for most people. But using Mobile 1's website for this oil -

- Do you have oil leaks? That's one area this oil claims to mitigate somewhat although whether it really would would depend on the type of leak.

- Do you have 'excessive sludge deposits due to less-than-adequate maintenance practices' where this oil claims to be somewhat helpful? I doubt it since I think you maintain your vehicles given your postings.

Somehow I've managed to go hundreds of thousands of miles in multiple vehicles using cheap Costco Chevron Supreme 10w40 dino oil without any engine problems (not the MDX - in it I use 0W20 Mobile 1 full syn). Given that you're likely using 0W20 full syn in your MDX now I'd expect it to be able to go for a very long time without worrying about this area - likely to hundreds of thousands of miles - probably longer than you'll end up keeping the vehicle.

Given all that, using the high mileage oil probably won't hurt anything other than possibly...mileage, it could drop a bit (probably not significantly or noticeably) due to a higher viscosity.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never used the High Milage formula in any vehicle i’ve owned but I feel like someone is either buying all the regular mobile 1 0/20 or they don’t stock it at Walmart because it’s only High Milage or Extended Milage that is available.

The extend Milage is about $5 more where the high Milage is $23 for 5 qts (same price as regular)

I guess I’ll wait for the next time it goes on sale.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I never used the High Milage formula in any vehicle i’ve owned but I feel like someone is either buying all the regular mobile 1 0/20 or they don’t stock it at Walmart because it’s only High Milage or Extended Milage that is available.

The extend Milage is about $5 more where the high Milage is $23 for 5 qts (same price as regular)

I guess I’ll wait for the next time it goes on sale.
Not that I am a fan of Mobil1 but an Extended Mileage has a much better chemical composition than a regular Mobil1 0W-20. You don't hav to go longer between oil changes by using a better oil, IMO.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
No do not switch. Hm oils work by swelling your engine seals to better preserve oil that tends to leak from higher mileage engines and 100k miles is what i deem just broken in. Once you swell seals, there is no going back. If you are not experiencing any issues with your current formulation, don't change it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts