Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a quick search on here and didn't find anything. Is there a harness or anyone come up with anything to keep the fog lights on when the high beams are on? I did it on an old jeep simply by bending a prong to a relay out of the way. I doubt the MDX is that simple... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I did it for my 2G TLS which I had to do some electric research with the electric diagrams, I found out it was easier than cake to accomplish it using just 1 wire. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-generation-tl-1999-2003-98/diy-high-beam-fogs-mod-802817/

I really haven't had the time to go through the same process in my MDX since the Fogs are pretty much useless compared to my TL but If I ever get my hands on the OEM Electric Manual I can tell you if it is as simple as my 2G TL.

Reactions: trunk monkey

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
597 Posts
I've done a quick search on here and didn't find anything. Is there a harness or anyone come up with anything to keep the fog lights on when the high beams are on? I did it on an old jeep simply by bending a prong to a relay out of the way. I doubt the MDX is that simple... Thanks.
Be aware, in some states (if not all) it is forbidden to have more than 4 lights on at one time. You can have low-beams and fogs, or low-beams and high-beams with no fogs. If you enable the fogs with low and high beams, you will have 6 lights on simultaneously and you can get a ticket. That is why the lights are wired the way they are to comply with regulations nation wide.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yup here in Cali is a royal no go but I doubt he is asking this to daily drive it.. I use all 6 lights in very dark back roads and never had an issue with the PO-PO.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My previous car was a 2004 MDX, and the fog light mod was a simple 1 wire splice, which took all of 5 minutes.

When I took delivery of my 2016 MDX, I went to the online electrical diagram ($10/day fee, as there is no printed Maintenance Manual or Electrical Troubleshooting Manual anymore - damn you Honda!). The fog light relay is now controlled by a "Relay Control Module" via the Gauge Control Module. According to the Exterior Lights Circuit Diagram #8103, the Gauge Control Module communicates with Relay Control Module via two separate B-Can (ie, multiplex computer wiring) lines from the B-Can transceiver integrated within the Gauge Control Module. Knowing that multiplex lines carry multiple signals through single wires that are very sensitive to short circuits and 'shade tree' rewiring, I stopped trying to figure out how I could rewire my fog light system before I did some serious damage. Tim Allen notwithstanding, I gave up!

Anyone else have a clever workaround?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be aware, in some states (if not all) it is forbidden to have more than 4 lights on at one time. You can have low-beams and fogs, or low-beams and high-beams with no fogs. If you enable the fogs with low and high beams, you will have 6 lights on simultaneously and you can get a ticket. That is why the lights are wired the way they are to comply with regulations nation wide.
Ha.. I know, I write tickets for lights or lack there of quite often. But thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My previous car was a 2004 MDX, and the fog light mod was a simple 1 wire splice, which took all of 5 minutes.

When I took delivery of my 2016 MDX, I went to the online electrical diagram ($10/day fee, as there is no printed Maintenance Manual or Electrical Troubleshooting Manual anymore - damn you Honda!). The fog light relay is now controlled by a "Relay Control Module" via the Gauge Control Module. According to the Exterior Lights Circuit Diagram #8103, the Gauge Control Module communicates with Relay Control Module via two separate B-Can (ie, multiplex computer wiring) lines from the B-Can transceiver integrated within the Gauge Control Module. Knowing that multiplex lines carry multiple signals through single wires that are very sensitive to short circuits and 'shade tree' rewiring, I stopped trying to figure out how I could rewire my fog light system before I did some serious damage. Tim Allen notwithstanding, I gave up!

Anyone else have a clever workaround?
In English please... Just kidding. So essentially I'm probably just out of luck?

·
Registered
870 Posts
In English please... Just kidding. So essentially I'm probably just out of luck?
A bit above my pay grade, but I think what highcountrymdx is saying is that the lights ( along with everything else in the vehicle ) are computer controlled and you don't really want to start screwing around with the "network" wires between the computers. If this is correct, I would go old-school and buy or assemble a complete wiring and relay kit to power the foglights straight from the battery. Tap into whatever light circuit you want to drive the solenoid for the relays ( side marker lights, for instance ), and wire a new switch in ( or under ) the dash. Maybe you can get a local delinquent to help with it, when he's between hot-wiring gigs.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Makes sense for the 3G to save weight for the Fog Light wiring using the Multiplex but the 2G MDX wasn´t made that tech savy (At least not the early 2G).. Multiplex (B-Can) does not mess with the workings of the Fogs, I found a helpful image of the Electric Diagram for the Fog Lights and they can be modified for sure, I just need the High Beams diagram now to work something out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts