Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know why I occasionally get a high beam flash from oncoming drivers...my wife was following me (she was in the MDX) and with the very sharp cutoff on the lights every time she went over an uneven surface it seemed like she was flashing me. Lights are excellent otherwise, so I guess there isn't much one can do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have this problem, but its not when my hi-beams are illuminated. I have not determined a fix yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Jewel lights are very clear, crisp and bright, which is why I like them. When I had my 2014 I got flashed by on coming traffic about 4 times in 4 years, I think because they were still quite unique back then. My 2017 has been flash twice in about 4 months of ownership. I did determine that they were aimed slightly higher, so I had the dealer adjust them down. Nobody has flashed me since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thing is, with the sharp upper cut-off, you don't want to aim them any lower than they have to be, otherwise you won't get good lighting during certain maneuvers. Like going downhill when there's an uphill coming up. I am quite pleased with the quality of the lighting on my 17. Nice, wide, even lateral coverage, which makes adaptive lights not needed. Great around turns.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The cutoff on my wife's '12 TL (which has HID and not LED Jewel Eyes) is also very sharp, and you sometimes get flashing. I've found that the Jewel Eyes do have a sharper cutoff than the projector-based HID's - but both are relatively dramatic compared to Halogens........

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ I agree and I think the is the reason it looks like 3rd gen MDX's appear to be flashing their brights when road undulations push the cut off over the sight line of oncoming drivers which causes them to flash back. We get very nice lighting that has virtually no glare, I'll take some return fire from time to time.

I sure hope the system has a long service life, bet it's not inexpensive to replace.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
And then add in the fact that for pre-2017s, none of us (in the US, Canadians and Russia/China models do) have any headlight leveling system to compensate for the angles and bounces... Sometimes I wonder if we should just aim the headlights higher and blind everyone the majority of the time rather than having the sharp cutoff bounce in and out of the vision, making them think we're flashing them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The Jewel lights are very clear, crisp and bright, which is why I like them. When I had my 2014 I got flashed by on coming traffic about 4 times in 4 years, I think because they were still quite unique back then. My 2017 has been flash twice in about 4 months of ownership. I did determine that they were aimed slightly higher, so I had the dealer adjust them down. Nobody has flashed me since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

The manual indicates the driver side lights are intentionally adjusted a little downward compared to the passengers side due to blinding the driver on in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
735 Posts
How have you all reacted to the high beam flashers? I normally just take it with understanding their POV but the ones that fire and let it linger I return fire and that gets them to drop it immediately.

I honestly don’t understand NJ and the Garden State Parkway. Every time I am on that highway it seems like a lot of folks have their high beams on full time. Is one light out and they are using the high beam to have both lights on or do they just Teach NJ folks to do this?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I get the occasional flasher, but it is because my auto high beam system has not dimmed the bright lights soon enough when topping a hill or rounding a curve. However, it will sometimes dim when rounding a curve when no cars are around as it senses the guard rail or a large object on the side of the road.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How have you all reacted to the high beam flashers? I normally just take it with understanding their POV but the ones that fire and let it linger I return fire and that gets them to drop it immediately.
That is exactly my reaction; you get a pass for the quick flash but if you linger you're going to get lit up...and regret it.

Over the holidays we were following family across unfamiliar (to us) country, got a call from them asking if everything was OK, "you keep flashing your brights, we thought something was falling off our car" :wink:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I get the occasional flasher, but it is because my auto high beam system has not dimmed the bright lights soon enough when topping a hill or rounding a curve. However, it will sometimes dim when rounding a curve when no cars are around as it senses the guard rail or a large object on the side of the road.
I wish the 2015 had auto beam.

·
Registered
837 Posts
And then add in the fact that for pre-2017s, none of us (in the US, Canadians and Russia/China models do) have any headlight leveling system to compensate for the angles and bounces... Sometimes I wonder if we should just aim the headlights higher and blind everyone the majority of the time rather than having the sharp cutoff bounce in and out of the vision, making them think we're flashing them.
Auto leveling headlights come on the 2016 MDX in Canada. Mine work fabulously.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wish the 2015 had auto beam.
Ain't that great. The new LED streetlights are bright enough to turn off the auto hibeams even though there are no other cars in sight. I'm starting to think I'm better turning it off, which you can do, and using them at will.
Now I am even more jealous. That’s a great feature, saves the super expense bulbs (errr headlight since there are no blubs). To think if I would have waited a year!

Does it go back on when the Street Lights are gone?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, kinda. Most places have streetlights, though. When it actually works, it's pretty neat, as it's quick to dim if a car is coming or if you are nearing one in front. But there are lots of times when I want highs and have to manually turn them on. I had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with this feature and turned it off because of the same reasons, although the MDX is a bit better that the Jeep in that regard. Every now and then I need to turn the feature back on by holding the headlight lever back for about 30 seconds. Somehow it turns itself off. I also don't think the feature deploys the highs at less than 40mph.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts