Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of 9006 4100K to 4300K HIDs. Must be quality merchandise, aligned properly and priced right.

I am NOT ordering them from another country.

Anyone interested in a group buy?

I will be ordering within 20 days.

I can do some research on pricing and all the other stuff.

Steve

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I emailed Bill yesterday. He had some in stock for $450 shipped.

Dale, are still happy with the ones you installed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Okay, so how difficult was the install?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
McCulloughs are NOT the ticket...

They are made form parts made in Taiwan or someplace close to there.

McCullough told me that the bulbs have a 30 day warranty and the ballasts have a one year warranty.

No thanks.

I am doing some more research. I have found the SPW kits for ~$400.

Still workin' it...

Steve

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: McCulloughs are NOT the ticket...

SuperDuty Steve said:
They are made form parts made in Taiwan or someplace close to there.

McCullough told me that the bulbs have a 30 day warranty and the ballasts have a one year warranty.

No thanks.

I am doing some more research. I have found the SPW kits for ~$400.

Still workin' it...

Steve
I am sure there is not a single HID kit that is 100% american made, except for Sylvania who makes after-market bullet projectors for external lights, or the direct replacement kits they offer for Ford F-150s.
Even then, I would be surprised if some components are not foreign made.
You obviously have not done many searches on this website or you would have found just about every type has been purchased, and all seem to still be working fine, some hitting 2 years now.
A long warranty does not say everything about the quality or the support from supplier.
You only have to look at the difference in construction.
The ones that rely on external battery connections and an external relay are an old technology.
But that's fine, even with a shorter warranty, I would rather have one distributed by a major american company that is well made, easy to install and has clear instructions. And the alignment matches the stock. Something that was a problem on the first HID kits from other sources.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me rephrase this...

I am looking for Philips or Osram bulbs and ballasts from a company that is located in the US. I like the stuff from autolamps-online.com, but I am not going to do business with a company across the Atlantic ocean. Furthermore, I am not going to mess around with an international fax transmission.

So...

I am looking at the SPW kit for around $400 vs. several others.

Is anyone interested in a group purchase of these kits?

Still working...

Steve

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Steve,
What K value do the SPWs come in? The lowest I have seen is 7000K (limited searching). Do they have anything closer to 4000-5000K that you know of? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
tnguyenmdc said:
I maybe interested in them. What company is SPW? Where can I find more information about them? Thanks.
You can check here .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Working it...

OK, I am working with a local company that is a dealer for Xenon Technologies. I think with a commitment of 10 people I can get the Xenon Technologies kit shipped for $450. That's the 4100K kit.

I am interested in the 4100K kit myself. He can probably do a bit better on the 5000K (blue tinted 4100K bulbs) if anyone is interested. I also think a 6000K kit is available as well. Not sure on pricing.

These kits are Philips ballasts and Philips or Osram bulbs. They are also "laser aligned", whatever that means.

I am going to be meeting with him in the next couple of days and will have contact info for ordering and pricing.

Y'all stay well,

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Xenon Technologies is the way to go. . . i ordered my XenonTechnologies kit from SPP which shipped in 4 days. i ordered the 5800k [advertised as 6000k]. this kit comes with 2 PHILIPS BULBS, 2 PHILIPS BALLASTS, RELAYS, VELCRO, & everythign you need- cant complain about the instructions either, EXCELLENT packaging [for those who care] - and the price i paid was $595.41 shipped. This kit is GREAT!!! I love the purple/blue/white irradescence i get with these HIDs. They illuminated the West Side HWY here in NYC for everyone around me last night - it was hiliarious. 2 other trucks next to me had 4100k HIDs. it was no competition with the 5800k [6000k] - i saw the look on their faces as if "where did this guy get those lights?" haha it was hilarious. in any event. these lights are well worth it. and xenontechnologies uses only the best parts out there. PHILIPS is the ONLY HID authority. no doubt about that. take my word for it. dont buy japanese, dont buy the american because they get it FROM the japanese. and anywhere else is phony. -GERMAN made parts are the best for now. until someone steps up? ALSO: there is no such thing as any HID kit that goes beyond 5800k[6000k] - 8000k kits and 12000k kits are phony. misguided and uninformed consumers are tricked by such false claims. believe me i almost bought them if it wasnt for this informative HID site . . . HIDo's & HIDont's

I will be posting my pictures of my HID equipped X today. they will be up shortly. check my gallery - TSARMS

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a new group buy...

We have the 4100K and 5000K Xenon Technologies kits for $440
And the 6000K (Stage 2) Xenon Technologies kits for $579

Both are plus shipping (estimated $10 to $15 in the continental US)

See new HID group buy thread here.

Steve

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My review of the McCulloch HID kits from peronsal experience

According to the article referenced in a previous post, even Japan buys Osram or Philips bulbs. There is a lot of assumptions that american brands like McCulloch have electronics parts from Taiwan, etc. when in fact they are assembled in Taiwan, where much electronics is assembled for quality companies world-wide.
I suspect, since McCulloch does design it's own HID lighting for other uses, it is their design, which does not have to be a bad thing. (This isn't rocket science techonlogy, by any means).
I also believe the bulbs are likely Osram or Philips since they are the primary manufacturers of such bulbs.
What McCulloch has done is use a more state of the art design that integrates inverse voltage protection, uses lower operating current for the circuitry, all this negates the necessity for more complicated wiring and external relay and battery connections. All of which are simply more areas of potential problems. (The KISS principle).
They also isolate the igniter assembly for greater flexibilty, and use longer wiring to ease component location
and facilitate ease of installation. Standard weather-proofed AMP connectors and robust cable jackets along with glare free light output and perfect alignment results in a quality product.
The blue coating is not necessary in my view, and was a marketing ploy to sell them as 5000K lamps when in fact the bare lamp is in the 4100-4300K region.
They even came out with 7000K replacement bulbs (yes, heavier dye) for those desiring a more purple look along with less light output, dumb!
Yes, the warranty is on the low side, especially for the bulbs. Hopefully, their claims of 2000-3000 hours will hold true.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
DaleB,

FWIW, here is some info I received via email from McCulloch. I was asking them what type of bulbs they use:

The raw bulb component is Philips. However, it is manufactured by McCulloch.

Here is the harsh reality: Philips makes the glass for all? HID bulbs in the market. So everyone must buy from Philips and pump their own Xenon gas. Osram bulbs are mainly from Korea. Moreover, even Japanese made bulbs are rebased from Korean bulbs. Even Philips (Germany) made bulb dies if you have a poor ballast and we are certain the Philips ballast you get are from Asia. Your main concern should be who made the bulb and how is the warranty on the bulb.

What is more important is:
Who made it? does the company has good/bad reputation?
How does the seller handle warranty? send it back to manufacturer? direct swap?
How does the seller/manufacturer handle your situation?
How MUCH do they charge to handle your warranty? free or $50 shipping and handling?

Retrofit kit manufacturers from Asia buy components. Not many companies can afford the machine that makes the bulbs. Truthfully, there are less than 10 of them that has the technology and facility. McCulloch make bulbs for some Japanese and Korean HID companies, however, as I have mentioned before, if the ballast is junk then it will die prematurely and might kill the bulb along with it. It is easier for the retrofit companies to make the ballast instead of the bulb and it is also easier for electronics to fail.

I hope this can help shed some light on a few things.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
phins2rt said:
DaleB,

FWIW, here is some info I received via email from McCulloch. I was asking them what type of bulbs they use:

The raw bulb component is Philips. However, it is manufactured by McCulloch.

Here is the harsh reality: Philips makes the glass for all? HID bulbs in the market. So everyone must buy from Philips and pump their own Xenon gas. Osram bulbs are mainly from Korea. Moreover, even Japanese made bulbs are rebased from Korean bulbs. Even Philips (Germany) made bulb dies if you have a poor ballast and we are certain the Philips ballast you get are from Asia. Your main concern should be who made the bulb and how is the warranty on the bulb.

What is more important is:
Who made it? does the company has good/bad reputation?
How does the seller handle warranty? send it back to manufacturer? direct swap?
How does the seller/manufacturer handle your situation?
How MUCH do they charge to handle your warranty? free or $50 shipping and handling?

Retrofit kit manufacturers from Asia buy components. Not many companies can afford the machine that makes the bulbs. Truthfully, there are less than 10 of them that has the technology and facility. McCulloch make bulbs for some Japanese and Korean HID companies, however, as I have mentioned before, if the ballast is junk then it will die prematurely and might kill the bulb along with it. It is easier for the retrofit companies to make the ballast instead of the bulb and it is also easier for electronics to fail.

I hope this can help shed some light on a few things.
I appreciate the information, but it actually raises more questions than it answers.
Assuming McCulloch does a good job manufacturing the bulb from the Philips raw stock, then it's not a problem.
It is still possible they make and/or design the ballast and igniter. It is 'assembled' in Taiwan which does not have to be a negative factor.
So the ballast is another unkown.
So the test of time will be the proof.
I know of at least one racing team that uses it on their vehicles under those conditions. Not that racing should neceessarliy be any more severe for an HID system, than normal driving, unless you crash I guess. Or do off road racing which would induce more vibration and shock to all components.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where do i get those HIDs?

Hey i like those HIDs you put on
jus wanted to know where i can get them cuz on the the spp link you put up i dun know where to go inorder to order them. those light kits are all for sedans. Please advice how to get them.
Thanks a bunch..

PS anyone know where i can get bullbars and front grills for my MDX?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts