Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of discussions where many MDX owners wish that Acura would begin using the HID lights on the MDX. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't these the bulbs that appear to be "blue" and, give off a whiter, brighter light for driving? When my MDX arrives at the end of this month, I too, would light to install a "whiter" light for driving but, am extremely leary of using the "blue" ones since I've read so much about them being highly sought after by vandals. After seeing pictures of the headlights being pried out of Acura's "flagship" sedan with a crowbar, this is the LAST thing I'd want to happen. Has anyone found a safer (in my opinion...) alternative?

Also, is there anyone that, after getting the burlwood shift knob, hasn't liked it for some reason and perhaps switched back to the leather one? I've seen a wood shift knob with a silver Acura logo on it but wonder if, after time, it begins to rub off?

Thanks in advance for your replies.....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You have two options with the MDX for "white" light, since Acura does not offer the MDX with HIDs.

1. You can install a true Xenon HID kit for around $500 from hidkits.com. There are other threads that discuss this. Do a search on HID kit.

2. You can install a cheaper alternative that has the "white" light but at a lower price. These are "white" halogens. Many have tried the ones from www.platinumprices.net, and they run for $59.95 with a 3 year warranty.

Just summarizing the many discussions on this board on HIDs...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
2 comments:

I have the wood shift knob & love it - no problems with scratches. I also have a wood shift knob on my RX - no scratches in a year.

The HIDS are wonderful in my RX and I would love to have them in the MDX - however the key to safety with them is to have them "self level" like they do in the RX.

·
Registered
715 Posts
charlie....just to add some tidbits...there are a lot of threads on this site on the bright white bulbs (erroneously called Xenon Plasma, or some such) which are coated halogens, typically with higher wattages.

Like mdxtrous, I have Platinum lows/highs, but have PIAA Yellow Fogs, just for fun. They work great.....not HID-class, but I like them for safety reasons....besides being brighter (without hurting the eyes of other drivers) they grab attention more than typical halogens.....how many times have your eyes gravitated toward that car or SUV with the bright white lights, as an example.

As far as the wood knob is concerned, so far so good...no scratches and the logo looks fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts