Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from work tonight and found a nice little package waiting for me...A round-tube hitch for my MDX! Gulped down my dinner, backed my baby into the garage and had it installed in 30 minutes!

About a month ago I called a place called "Glick's Hitch and Trailer" and they told me they were expecting the hitch within the month. Got an email last Friday telling me it was available and I immediately phoned in my credit card.

Here is the info:

Hidden Hitch Class III-IV round-tube hitch
Part Number 70545
$139.00 + 19.95 shipping.
Ordered from Jim at Glick's (717) 656-7027 (yeah, no web site but the best I could do since Tim can't sell the Acura one without those darn coolers that I don't need!)

Here is a picture -> http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2282

Rick

·
Registered
452 Posts
This looks like a great alternative to paying big bucks for Acura hitch and coolers just to haul bikes. Installation sounds easy. Anything that could not easily be taken off without obvious tales if I wanted to have car serviced etc without getting Acura dander all in a huff?

Chris

·
Registered
404 Posts
Looks like the Valley Industries brand that I had installed at U-Haul last month. Total cost of the hitch and installation was $161. The tail light adapter was an additional $20. (They are available cheaper, but U-Haul's is pretty nice). I spent a couple hours installing the adapter, which I preferred to do rather than let the U-Haul guy hone his wiring skills on my MDX.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rick: Looks like a good setup. One question: How did the wiring hookup? Does a harness come with hitch or do you have to wire it yourself? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sideburns said:
Rick: Looks like a good setup. One question: How did the wiring hookup? Does a harness come with hitch or do you have to wire it yourself? Thanks
You would need to purchase and install seperately. Since I only plan to use the hitch with my bike rack, I did not bother to get a wiring harness.

Rick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MGTD said:
This looks like a great alternative to paying big bucks for Acura hitch and coolers just to haul bikes. Installation sounds easy. Anything that could not easily be taken off without obvious tales if I wanted to have car serviced etc without getting Acura dander all in a huff?

Chris
There are a total of six bolts holding it in...Wouldn't want to take it off regularly but you could if necessary.

Rick

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the info Rick. I just ordered one through a local dealer for $120 plus $20 for wiring harness.

Crem, when u installed your wiring, did you try to tap into the factory wiring harness? I don't believe the aftermarket harness will plug into the factory connector but I'm thinking of using a plastic wire-tap to connect the wires. If this doesn't work, then I'll probably have to go the long way.

·
Registered
404 Posts
S/W,

Someone mentioned the correct place to install the tail light adapter, but I went ahead and did it my own way... I installed it behind the left tail light lens, which is easy to remove. I ran the wires back into the weather-sealed wheel-jack compartment, where I attached to the existing wiring. The wire that goes to the right turn signal went on a little ledge up under the bumper, and back into the sealed compartment behind the lens. To keep the wire in place and prevent rattles, I stuck a little "dum-dum" on it.

(A copy of my post from http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1542)

sidewinder said:
Crem, when u installed your wiring, did you try to tap into the factory wiring harness? I don't believe the aftermarket harness will plug into the factory connector but I'm thinking of using a plastic wire-tap to connect the wires. If this doesn't work, then I'll probably have to go the long way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Crem, thanks for the info. Installed the hitch today and it took around 30min as Rick indicated. This thing is solid. IMO it looks just like the Acura hitch minus the wiring connector. I found a Draw-tite T-harness that supposedly plugs into the existing connector on the vehicle from http://www.hitch-web.com for $30. Ordered it from a local dealer for $22. Will have to see how it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anybody else think that it is just a little ironic that "HIDDEN HITCH" is displayed in giant white letters on the hitch?

Otherwise, it's a good looking setup.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hitch wiring

The Draw-Tite wiring harness simply snaps into the existing connector under the rear plastic panel. You can then run the wiring out to the hitch via existing holes. I decided to store the wiring in the rear compartment and run it through the hatch only when using the trailer for aesthetic reasons. All in all the whole setup cost $180 including tax and around 30min for the installation of the hitch and 10min for the wiring. A great alternative to the acura hitch for light-duty towing or carrying things.(Only reason I say light-duty is due to the lack of transmission/power steering cooler.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
:mad: Rick; did you get six class 8.8 bolts and washers with your Hidden Hitch? My Hidden Hitch arrived today naked as a jay bird and sans bolts.
I can get them but I wasn't sure if they were supposed to come with it.
Cheers,
Hal Davey

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you check the hitch opening? Mine came with all bolts/washers and an instruction in a box stuffed into the hitch opening. Not sure if the place I bought it from put it in there or if it came like that from the factory. In any case I would call the place and have them send it to you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
www.etrailer.com is selling this hitch now for $99. I can also get an acura one plus the wiring harness for $269. I am not going to haul anything but bikes so I am leaning toward the HH without the wiring harness anyway.

Did you get a confirmation about the bolts? Also has anyone had experience with the receiver bolt hole needing any modification on HH with the MDX. There were reports of this with the Acura Hitch and the Draftmaster bike rack.

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
The bolts are shipped in the reciever opening. But mine are on the floor of some UPS truck. The warehouse said that happens all the time and sent me a new bolt kit. It came to day and I had the hitch on in half an hour, and another half hour to do the wiring (nicely) I used the Hidden Hitch part # 38317 t connector. Fit like factory.
To put the hitch on by my self, I taped old carpet at the lower outer corners of the bumper (the hitch is heavy and clumsy) to protect it against scratches from the hitch. Then I used some nylon string to hoist the left side (forward hole), up to the frame rail. Then I could manuever the right side over the tail pipes and started all the bolts in the right side. Then I went back over and removed the string and bolted up the left side. Torquing the bolts was the hardest part.
It does show though, on the sides below the quarter panel/bumper (so would the factory hitch.)
Cheers,
Sparkie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hitch vs warranty

Glad to see all these posts about hitches. All I want to do is carry a bike carrier on the hitch. I've been looking at adding a hitch to our MDX, and was balking at paying $$$ for the hitch and transmission oil cooler.

Is it true that Acura will not honor the warranty on transmission if it fails where the truck has a hitch and no transmission oil cooler?
Are the people here using the hitch w/o cooler?

SG

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was initially hesitant about getting an aftermarket hitch but here's my take on this. IF you have a transmission problem in the 4 years then you can always take off the hitch and take it in. But I seriously doubt any light-duty towing will do anything to the transmission as it is in the 4 years. In the long run, a cooler on any vehicle wether towing or not certainly won't hurt and will probably add to the life of the transmission. So the issue is not really about wether Acura is going to honor the warranty because you have a hitch but how long you want your transmission to last. Even if you have a problem down the road for whatever reason, you can use the money you saved from buying an aftermarket hitch towards the repair and still have some change left over. A win/win situation I'd say.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ordered the HH from www.etrailer.com yesterday lunch time. I got it this morning around 9:30 am
when a surprise UPS truck stopped in front of my house. I paid ~$35 UPS ground shipping charge
($10 - 15 more than other online shops charge), not next day delivery and was supposed to wait
for couple more days to receive the trailer hitch.

The bolts are in the hitch open area. I will install the hitch tonight.

The service I received from etrailer.com is wonderful. A job well done!

D MDXer

CA Cupertino/San Jose area

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have installed the hidden hitch, and it looks great! We are ready to carry 4 bikes now. (We have a 4 bikes carrier from last SUV we had.)

I have 2 questions about this hitch:

1) Can a full size spare tire work with this hitch?

The distance from the center to the hitch bar is approximated 14" and it is about the radius of my tour tire. However, the touring tire is actually wider. Has anyone has this HH and a full size spare?

Actually, the steel tube can be bent toward some more to leave a larger space for a full size spare.

Is it the same for the Acura OEM trailer hitch?

2) Do you still care for a tow hook?

The left side tow hook can not be put back, due to the bracket design. I guess the the bar as part of of the trailer hitch can serve the function of a tow hook.

Similarly, the steel tube can be cut shorter and the bracket can be designed toward right about 1" more to leave room for the tow hook.

Is it the same for the Acura OEM trailer hitch?

thanks,

D MDXer

1 - 20 of 91 Posts