Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any significant differences btwn the 6000k and the 8000k?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The higher the color temperature the more blue (almost purple) the light. Along with a slight reduction in light output. But not enough reduction to take away the advantages.
However, there was a recent post on here in the last week or so on HIDs that demonstrate higher numbers with light extending into the blue tend to be more disturbing to on-coming drivers. Nothing conclusive other than that article.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Dale, I agree with your comment on blues; with me, bright white is fine, but the bluer -- the more they blind me. I think it's an old eyes thing.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
nyc said:
are there any significant differences btwn the 6000k and the 8000k?
There are no such thing as an official 8000Kelvin High Intensity Discharge lighting system. To better understand this in terms of light spectrum go do a research on what Kelvins is and also where each kelvins lie in terms of the environmental light spectrum. 6000K is daylight. This HID DS2 bulbs are available from Sylvania and Phillips. Just to let you know...At 8000kelvins??? It is near what some scientist refer to as Blue spectrum which a naked human CANNOT see...so when a company list their HID as 8000Kelvins...It is a marketing ploy. Having an HID lighting system measured at 8000K per bulb will blind every being that has a pair of eyes:eek:

Stick with Phillips Ultinons or Sylvanias if you want the whitest/blueish HID.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Re: HID queestion.

Fireblade6 said:

There are no such thing as an official 8000Kelvin High Intensity Discharge lighting system. To better understand this in terms of light spectrum go do a research on what Kelvins is and also where each kelvins lie in terms of the environmental light spectrum. 6000K is daylight. This HID DS2 bulbs are available from Sylvania and Phillips. Just to let you know...At 8000kelvins??? It is near what some scientist refer to as Blue spectrum which a naked human CANNOT see...so when a company list their HID as 8000Kelvins...It is a marketing ploy. Having an HID lighting system measured at 8000K per bulb will blind every being that has a pair of eyes:eek:

Stick with Phillips Ultinons or Sylvanias if you want the whitest/blueish HID.
Thanks for the clarication, that an 8000K HID is approaching the bluer part of the spectrum and is not the actual color temp of the bulb.
HIDs start at 4100K by the way, which is considered 'white', period. But with marketing as it is, most feel they need 6000K at least, while the lower color temp. system is probbaly providing optimal illumination but does not look as 'cool'.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ooops

Thats what I get for not doing grammar or spell check...I meant to say "Naked Human EYES." NOT "naked humans" LOL:21:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fireblade6,

I was wondering exactly what kind of test was done to determine what a "naked human" could or could not see. :22:

Donna

1 - 8 of 8 Posts