Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, DaleB if you have a digital camera, snap a few pics for me and I would be very greatfull. I am 99.99% sure that I'll change out mine someday soon.:29:

·
Registered
81 Posts
here ya go.!...switched mine out when i first got the car approx. 1 month ago...used 7500K system with hella ballasts...look white/blue...doesnt have quite the luminal output as OEM but the color is much better...i have done 3 retorfits so far so email me if ya want some help...here are some pics...dont have any pics of the ballast and bulbs inside engine bay though...goodlcuk.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291731495

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
joebergner said:
Well, DaleB if you have a digital camera, snap a few pics for me and I would be very greatfull. I am 99.99% sure that I'll change out mine someday soon.:29:
I love my HID's and don't think I will ever be able to drive with Halogen's again. I have the Hid4lless 6000k Hid, and think they are excellent. I know we had some trouble with them, but overall the complete price of $595 including shipping was excellent. It did take awhile for them to ship but worth the wait. I think the 7500k are to purple and the 6000k are perfect a white/slight bluish color. Pretty much like the Audi and BMW but a little more whiter and clear. Regularly the 6000k or higher are $750 or higher, so that group buy price was pretty good. I also like that they use less amps and draw less power from the MDX. You also don't have to worry about melting any wires under the hood. They have three times the life. I believe the replacement bulbs don't run as much as the initial system cost, probably about $100 per bulb. You have to see the distance that this Hid light travels it amazing. Bulbs sometimes look as bright but don't travel down the road as far as the Hid, also not as wide a beam as the hid. I can actually see sidewalks as I'm driving down the road in addition to a great distance ahead.

Click on my signature below to see some pic's of mine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The reason why BMW and Audis <i>look</i> bluish/purplish has to do with the optics of their lighting system. BMWs and Audis (and all MBzs now) utilise projector headlamps. As you drive towards these vehicles, the projectors cause the colour of the light to change anywhere from white/blue/purple. In effect, they're simply just very brilliant white. The projectors are there because they control the light FAR better than the normal reflector based headlamps. The cut off is much sharper and this results in less glare to you and to oncoming traffic. The MDX's reflector based US DOT headlamps are already not exactly the best out there, with a lot of scatter above the horizon.

I would seriously not consider anything about 6K in colour temperature. The high you go, to less illumination you get and the shorter the bulb life is. 6K bulbs already have somewhere around 20% less lumens than the normal bulbs! They just appear brighter since the colour temperature is higher and since one's eyes are more sensitive towards the blue spectrum, this extra glare is perceived as being brighter when in reality it isn't.

Additionally, 6K bulbs (and higher) scatter much more easily in poor weather. This means that in rainy/snowy/foggy weather, the light diffuses and you get less output and more backglare!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Drew said:
The reason why BMW and Audis <i>look</i> bluish/purplish has to do with the optics of their lighting system. BMWs and Audis (and all MBzs now) utilise projector headlamps. As you drive towards these vehicles, the projectors cause the colour of the light to change anywhere from white/blue/purple. In effect, they're simply just very brilliant white. The projectors are there because they control the light FAR better than the normal reflector based headlamps. The cut off is much sharper and this results in less glare to you and to oncoming traffic. The MDX's reflector based US DOT headlamps are already not exactly the best out there, with a lot of scatter above the horizon.

I would seriously not consider anything about 6K in colour temperature. The high you go, to less illumination you get and the shorter the bulb life is. 6K bulbs already have somewhere around 20% less lumens than the normal bulbs! They just appear brighter since the colour temperature is higher and since one's eyes are more sensitive towards the blue spectrum, this extra glare is perceived as being brighter when in reality it isn't.

Additionally, 6K bulbs (and higher) scatter much more easily in poor weather. This means that in rainy/snowy/foggy weather, the light diffuses and you get less output and more backglare!
But you must admit it does look pretty cool!!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
paul123 said:

But you must admit it does look pretty cool!!!!!!
Heh, I think that 6K ones are "cool" enough for me, otherwise I would still be in the tinted blue bulb stage (not that I ever was!). In the frequent rain that we get though, I don't think that they would be too advisable as a lot of output would be lost.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Philips doesnt make a 5000K bulb...they make the regular HID bulb we call the 4100K...and the new 6000K called the ultinons or cool blue...osram makes a 4100K and 5400K....Drew does have some good points but the luminal loss from higher kelvin bulbs is negligible in reality...i have had 6000K ultinons and 7500K bulbs...my OEM xenons on my 01' M3 look bad in comparison(looks slighlty yellowish to lime in color) and im not sure if there is any more luminal output that the ultinons i had in the past...im thinking of buying 6000K bulbs and swapping out for the 4100K's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
they are either wrong or lying!...often times , they say philips 5000-8000K but they are usually only talking about the ballast and not the bulb...call them and ask them who makes the bulb and i bet either they make it themselves or they ordered from elsewhere but they are not made by philips if they are truly 5000K...i have done extensive research in the past and you wouldnt believe how many guys you will talk to who have no idea what their talking about or flat out lie....matter of fact, i bought my 7500K from a guy who bought it directly from SPP...they get ballast from eithe r hella or philips and supposedly make their own bulbs...my bulb from did not say phil;ips on it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mact3333 said:
they are either wrong or lying!...often times , they say philips 5000-8000K but they are usually only talking about the ballast and not the bulb...call them and ask them who makes the bulb and i bet either they make it themselves or they ordered from elsewhere but they are not made by philips if they are truly 5000K...i have done extensive research in the past and you wouldnt believe how many guys you will talk to who have no idea what their talking about or flat out lie....matter of fact, i bought my 7500K from a guy who bought it directly from SPP...they get ballast from eithe r hella or philips and supposedly make their own bulbs...my bulb from did not say phil;ips on it.
Thanks for info!!! I just wrote them and acted like I knew what I was talking about :rolleyes:

We'll see if in fact the bulbs are made by Philips and are truly 5000K.

·
Registered
81 Posts
dale, did you notice the red order button on your link to SPP?...it says 4300K philips and no 5000K...if you want to learn about auto HID lighting, go to Philips automotive lighting message board, they know everything about hid lights there....i was wrong about one thing though, i said philips makes 4100K bulb but i should have said 4300K and 6000K bulb.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mact3333 said:
dale, did you notice the red order button on your link to SPP?...it says 4300K philips and no 5000K...if you want to learn about auto HID lighting, go to Philips automotive lighting message board, they know everything about hid lights there....i was wrong about one thing though, i said philips makes 4100K bulb but i should have said 4300K and 6000K bulb.

This is what I found at that link, another link to...

"We are now an authorized dealer of the XenonTechnologies / Philips 5,000k HID System! Click here for more info!"

·
Registered
273 Posts
mact3333 said:

I don't know about their new 5000K HID package, but I can personally vouch for their 4300K Philips HID package. Both ballasts and bulbs. See my Stage 1 Group Buy for pictures of the components.

I've sent Eric an email asking him about the 5000K system.

rflagg

·
Registered
273 Posts
SPP's 5000K HID package

All,

As you all may know, Philips only makes 4200K and 6000K bulbs.

This is what Eric at Supreme Power Parts told me concerning their 5000K HID package:

Components:
- Philips Ballasts
- Philips 4200K bulbs that their suppier dips to produce 5000K lighting.

Last year they were selling the Philips 6000K bulbs, but were unhappy with light output. (Afterall, the 4200K's are about 1/3 brighter.) What they are doing know is selling a HID bulb that is closer to the brightness of the 4200K, and gives off a blueish color.

For me, I love the pure white color of my 4200K's. And I take comfor in the fact that they are Philips bulbs and ballasts that are backed by by a 4 year warranty.

rflagg

·
Registered
81 Posts
first of all, only hids4less uses the lingo stage I and II...:)....i have spoken to SPP many times(a year ago) and they didnt have a clue what they were talking about...perhaps they do now since they supposedly make their own bulbs now which i doubt very highly...they prob buy them from someone near them...how could a autoparts store have the capacity to make the bulbs?...all i know is that have told people that their products are german(ie-philips or osrams) but with further questioning, they say that their bulbs are made in the US...this is not to say that they do not make a good product cause they do...i have their 7500K white/blue system on my MDX right now but you do sacrifice some luminal output for the nice color...the ultinons have nice color and good output...even the ultinons have 20% less luminal output that the 4300K philips but to me, i couldnt really tell.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: SPP's 5000K HID package

rflagg said:
All,

As you all may know, Philips only makes 4200K and 6000K bulbs.

This is what Eric at Supreme Power Parts told me concerning their 5000K HID package:

Components:
- Philips Ballasts
- Philips 4200K bulbs that their suppier dips to produce 5000K lighting.

Last year they were selling the Philips 6000K bulbs, but were unhappy with light output. (Afterall, the 4200K's are about 1/3 brighter.) What they are doing know is selling a HID bulb that is closer to the brightness of the 4200K, and gives off a blueish color.

For me, I love the pure white color of my 4200K's. And I take comfor in the fact that they are Philips bulbs and ballasts that are backed by by a 4 year warranty.

rflagg

Ah ha!...now the truth comes out...never buy a bulb that has a coating on it or has been dipped to make it 5000K...knew something was fishy...what you gain in color you lose big on luminal output, which means the intensity is much less(which is the same as those cheesy bulbs piaa makes).

·
Registered
273 Posts
mact3333 said:
first of all, only hids4less uses the lingo stage I and II...:)....i have spoken to SPP many times(a year ago) and they didnt have a clue what they were talking about...perhaps they do now since they supposedly make their own bulbs now which i doubt very highly...they prob buy them from someone near them...how could a autoparts store have the capacity to make the bulbs?...all i know is that have told people that their products are german(ie-philips or osrams) but with further questioning, they say that their bulbs are made in the US
SPP's Philips HID 4200K bulbs are the real deal. (Made in Germany) That said, Philips does not make 9006 mounts for their bulbs. That is where these other US companies come into the mix.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts