Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to propose a new group buy to usher in the 2003 MDX model year.

HID 9006 headlights!

I would like to see the vendor supply an all Phillips parts unit with a choice of Phillips 4100 k or Philips 6000K Ultinon bulbs.

I have made preliminary contact with a service representative of autolamps-online.com and they are willing to discuss the project. You can check out their website.

They have had group buys before with other Acura clubs, not acuramdx.org. A minimum of 10 participants are required.

This is a trial balloon to get ideas from this group's membership about this project.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got a 2002 on order for Oct delivery......if the '03 and '02 are interchangeable, count me in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
:mad: I just bought mine last month from SPP. Let me know if you can get them for cheaper than $500.

A friend of mine wants a set for his Lexus LS400 which I think also uses the same 9006 lights.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SPP kit

doggiedog said:
:mad: I just bought mine last month from SPP. Let me know if you can get them for cheaper than $500.

A friend of mine wants a set for his Lexus LS400 which I think also uses the same 9006 lights.
I have also contacted SPP and am awaiting their response to the group buy idea. They do not however supply genuine Phillips parts. I have copied a quote from their website.

"This kit is supplied to us by one of the largest and most recognized HID retrofit lighting manufacturers in the world. Having this system private labeled for SPP allows us to offer it at a reduced price to our customers. Every HID system uses German made Philips bulbs and ballasts and comes with a wiring harness and detailed instructions even for the novice installer. Warranty coverage is for 1 year. Installation time is 45 minutes to one hour. System includes everything required for a plug and play install."

How did your project workout? How was the ease of installation?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Thats too bad I got mine last week. Installation for me was ahem interesting. directions were as they appeared to be translated from another language to english. Totally different wiring diagram. I figured it out my self was a weekend so I couldnt call SPP. But the results are WOW!!!!!!!! BTW the only reason I didnt go with autolamp wasw because they dont accept AMEX. I usually use AMEX for online purchases.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The SPP 4100K and 6000K are Philips. The 5000K which I bought I think is also but the bulb is dyed. The electronics are Philips though.

I had a hard time installing the HIDs because they forgot to include installation instructions. Instead the included a wiring schematic which was completely useless.

I tried doing it myself but couldn't figure it out so I called Erik at SPP and he tried working me through it. Then after about 4 calls, he realized I never got the instructions so he explained it more thoroughly. In hindsight, if I had the instructions, it should have taken me 10 mins tops to install it. It is very easy to do.

I am thoroughly satisfied with the HIDs. I would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd also be interested ib this group buy. I've seen a few aftermarket HID's and I've been very impressed with them.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would say go with SPP. The SPP 5000K is hooked up directly to the batter with a fuse and the original light socket is only used as a turn on switch. This IMO will help if the lights ever short circuit or there is excessive heat, as the only part that should blow is the fuse and not your OEM light wiring. Just make sure to get the detailed instructions from SPP and not just the diagram.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If the price is good, you can count me in on this group buy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have contacted both SPP and autolamps-online and asked them for a price quote for a group buy based on 10 kits. I am waiting for responses, exact figures.

I notice that the 2003 MDX will have auto on-off headlights and wonder if this will effect the kit installation/function?

I will email to ask this question.

I have also asked for the installation instructions to be email to me and will post them when I get them so everyone can take alook beforehand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
HrdTsk

Count me in if you decide to go with Autolamps-online

I think you'll find Autolamps-online will have the better setup.

They use 100% Genuine Philips parts (ballasts and bulbs) not privated labelled equipment, claiming its Philips.

Also, Autolamps-online supposedly manufactures the base of the bulb so it's an exact fit into the 9006 housing and requires no "retrofitting" of the base to make it fit. I've heard stories of guys having to cut little "nubbies" of the base and using tape to keep it in the housing...I wouldn't want to have to do that!!!!

The only drawback I see in dealing with Autolamps is they're located in the UK so I'm not too sure about warranty issues.

Please keep us posted on the group buy:5:

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
HrdTsk said:

I notice that the 2003 MDX will have auto on-off headlights and wonder if this will effect the kit installation/function?

What do you mean auto on-off? All MDX have this if you leave your lights on and arm or close the door the lights go off after 15 seconds. They turn back on when you disarm. or open the door.

BTW I tried it already and no it doesnt affect it. The light sockets as I understand are used to signal that the lights are on and the ballast and relay take over.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
auto on/off

AUTO ON/OFF HEADLIGHTS
New for 2003, the MDX features auto on/off headlights. A sensor at the front of the instrument panel senses outside illumination levels; when darkness occurs during automatic mode, the headlights, taillights, and instrument panel lighting turn on automatically for nighttime convenience. When the vehicle is parked at night, the lights remain lit after the ignition switch is turned off, but extinguish automatically when the driver's door is opened.

Above was copied from Honda News Release

·
Registered
1 Posts
Count me in. I just have to factor in conversion numbers for US to Canadian dollars and hope that they ship to Canada without jacking the price out of the ballpark.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Here's another link for SUV HID lights:

http://www.suvlights.com/

IMHO the 6000K look awesome with the slight blue color

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Re: auto on/off

HrdTsk said:
AUTO ON/OFF HEADLIGHTS
New for 2003, the MDX features auto on/off headlights. A sensor at the front of the instrument panel senses outside illumination levels;

Ahhh I see, well got the auto off :2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
paul123 said:
Here's another link for SUV HID lights:

http://www.suvlights.com/

IMHO the 6000K look awesome with the slight blue color
Ah yes, my McCulloch system. Great build quality, reasonable price and a written warranty from a solid American company!
I will try to get more fotos at night. I have one posted a while back during the day.
Just the right amount of blue. The bulb tint is vapor deposited not dipped.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DaleB said:

Ah yes, my McCulloch system. Great build quality, reasonable price and a written warranty from a solid American company!
I will try to get more fotos at night. I have one posted a while back during the day.
Just the right amount of blue. The bulb tint is vapor deposited not dipped.

What price did you get, if I may ask?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Here ya go

http://www.teamorangeracing.com/main.html

Click on 'Garage Sale'.

Check this out!! $320! I paid $400 a few months ago! I paid for a new system. They have none left apparently.
Bulbs are new but ballasts are used.

Bill Chen is the guy. Very helpful. I would go for it! Ask him if you can still get a warranty since ballasts are used.

Otherwise do a search on "McCulloch HID" and I am sure you will find nicely priced ones too.
You can search HIDs and my name and find more photos.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see the HID from www.teamorangeracing.com includes used McCullogh ballasts and new H4 5300 k bulb ( no manufacturer listed). I will try to contact them to see if they can include a 9006 bulb so it will fit the MDX. Also I will ask regarding any warranty.

I am still waiting to hear from SPP about pricing and warranty.

autoheadlamps.com has responded and is interested in a group buy. I have countered their most recent offer to try and shave off a few more dollars. I will post when the terms when available.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts