Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple questions for those already using HID lights. I've read there is a delay starting up the lights before you get white light.

What happens when you switch from high beams back to HID low beams is there a delay when you will be driving with no lights on or very weak lights?

For anyone using HID high beams, are they too overpowering? Can you still see the road?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have 4300K Philips HIDs. There is very slight delay (about two seconds) when you first turn the HIDs on. After that they stay bright even when you hit the high beams (my high beams are SilverStars). With the HIDs you will actually see more of the road than your stock bulbs (I can only speak for the 4300K Philips HIDs). I feel much safer with my HIDs than my stock bulbs, especially on dark roads that are not well lit.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
accmdx said:
A couple questions for those already using HID lights. I've read there is a delay starting up the lights before you get white light.

What happens when you switch from high beams back to HID low beams is there a delay when you will be driving with no lights on or very weak lights?

For anyone using HID high beams, are they too overpowering? Can you still see the road?
HID hi-beams are not advisable, for the reasons given.
HID lo-beams should mean less reliance on hi-beams, but they are still there when you need the extended light for distance.

I find I need hi-beams much less with HID lo-beams, which tells me I don't need to see necessarily further, just better.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well, you use the highs when there's nobody coming. That's why bi-xenons exist. I have them in my Passat, and the highs light up like day up to 1-2 mile down the road. :eek: You are basically using the same bulb, except there is a metal plate blocking the uppermost aspect of the HID beam. When you turn the highs, a motor moves the plate out of the way,and voila, more HID light farther away. Plus also theres a separate regular high beam halogen light that comes on. They are awesome! :2:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice. I probably go the HID route in the near future.

rlm32,

Can the Bi-xenons be adapted to the MDX? They sound really cool and I do a lot of rural back roads driving with not much on coming traffic. Is it a special bulb sort of like an H4? It sounds like it would need a special headlight casing.

To anyone,

Do you gain any distance over stock not just on width when adjusted not to annoy oncoming traffic? The rural roads I travel on have a lot of rises and I would like to get as much distance as possible on lows.

From a driver's point of view, is it too bright (hot spot) on the road in front of you? How is it on your eyes? Mine aren't as good as they used to be.

Also, how will 80 watt fogs be with these? Or does everyone recommend HID's in the fogs also? I find the 80 watt to provide a lot of fill missing in the stock low beams, but I wish I could get a little more distance.

Thanks again for all your advice.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
accmdx said:

Do you gain any distance over stock not just on width when adjusted not to annoy oncoming traffic? The rural roads I travel on have a lot of rises and I would like to get as much distance as possible on lows.

From a driver's point of view, is it too bright (hot spot) on the road in front of you? How is it on your eyes? Mine aren't as good as they used to be.

Also, how will 80 watt fogs be with these? Or does everyone recommend HID's in the fogs also? I find the 80 watt to provide a lot of fill missing in the stock low beams, but I wish I could get a little more distance.

Thanks again for all your advice.
I can't speak for everyone with HIDs but my experience is that it provides a more even distribution of light. The entire light field is brighter, and even. No hot spots.
I thought there was a concern of heat buildup in the fogs because of the much smaller cavity of the fog reflector assembly. I could be wrong here, and it might be more that they won't fit properly in the smaller assembly.
I did not have to adjust my aiming, it came out the same (in spec.) when I installed HIDs. It should be the same with a properly designed system.

Overall, it's significantly better lighting for a good 90+ % of night driving I do without fogs or use of high beams.
I am sure you will find them a significant improvement if you do a lot of 'country road' driving at night.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have OEM HID's in my '02 RL. Only noticable delay is when you turn them on. When you hit the switch, there is about a 1/2 second delay, then the hid's put out a bright flash, then dim somewhat for about a 1/2 a second, then brighten up again and settle down to a bright white. The RL hid's stay on all the time. When you turn on the brights, the bright halogens come on beside the hid's, and both stay on. In other words, anytime the headlights are on, the hid's are on. When you hit the flasher, it just flashes the brights on and off.

The hid's are great to drive behind, very bright, sharp, clean view out front. Great improvement over Halogens. They do cut off very sharply , so they take some getting used to. Its like you draw a line in space in front of the car, one side of he line is "daylight", and the other side is dark.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't have a delay in my HIDs (5000K). Unless you are talking about the time for the HID to heat up. When I turn the HIDs on, the light is very blue for about 3 seconds then turn white.

When I turn my hi beams on, the HIDs stay on too though the fog lights turn off so there is no worry about the lights being too dim.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I think the reason why our MDX's low beam stays on when you turn on your high or flash your high is because we have dual headlight system versus say some of the other vehicles that use a single light for dual purposes...HIGH and lows.

For example...My motorcycle has dual headlights but the two headlights are for low and high usage with the flip of the switch. It is originally from the factory as H4 halogen. I converted into HIDs so I lost the HIGH capability. The ONLY way that I will be able to get HIGH and LOW using HIDS is to convert it to BI-XENON HIDs.

Now...on the other hand...during the day...if your MDX low beam is off with HIDs...and you go to flash someone...the low will flash and not the highs...This is done through the way Acura wire their headlights...BUT...with HIDs DS2 bulbs and ballasts on low when you go to flash someone when the low is NOT turned on...the HID does not work so well simply because it takes approximately three seconds for the DS2 bulbs to fully burn at its maximum efficiency.

I tried to do a headlight flash using the low beam when the headlight is OFF using HIDs and it barely turn on..It will show a purple flash and thats it because the charge is not sustained long enough to fully burn the xenon gass inside of the DS2s. The flash looks kinda cool actually because it looks like two BLUE EYES winking..:eek:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Fireblade6 said:

I tried to do a headlight flash using the low beam when the headlight is OFF using HIDs and it barely turn on..It will show a purple flash and thats it because the charge is not sustained long enough to fully burn the xenon gass inside of the DS2s. The flash looks kinda cool actually because it looks like two BLUE EYES winking..:eek:
Kind of makes me wonder why they don't have only the highs flash whether the lights are turned on or not.
Seems it would be easier that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts