Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new here:1: I have a 2002 Nighthawk Black MDX with Ebony interior, all tricked out !! I am beginning to be peeved by the yellowish glow of my stock bulbs, mainly just hte lows, since the highs i dont use much. FOr the time being, while i research HID replacment kits, i would liek the opinion of you all, what are the best halogen bulbs to buy, reliablity wise to get either the white glow, or slightly bluish glow? I've read that Plasma brand lights are great by some, but suck by others. Sylvannia and PIAA seem to be high on the list, so i would be very greateful for the input, and exact part number for the kind of bulbs best for my suv.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I went with the silverstars for a while until I upgraded to HIDS, nothing really compares to HIDS, even the blue dipped bulbs dont compare (too dull) or maybe its just me, 400 dollar difference makes things brighter:)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I had sylvania and it was white but still had enough yellow to appear like HID want to be bulbs. I still have the Sylvania bulbs and if your interested I can send them to you for $14 shipped. I used them for only 1 month and they are in perfect untouched condition. PIAA 4000k and the Japanese 5000k is the closest thing to HID and they have a long life. If your not going to get HID get the PIAA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer manus. but i am leaning towards buying the HID conversion kit. BUt it troubles me, since they use higher wattage than the standard halogen bulbs, couold that lead to a possible blow out? I had a 2000 accord which i replaced with the 2001 Tl HID set, and within two months, the set burned out, oy. However, are the PIAA bulbs use exactly the same power details as the stock bulbs?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Chromedeuces said:
Thanks for the offer manus. but i am leaning towards buying the HID conversion kit. BUt it troubles me, since they use higher wattage than the standard halogen bulbs, couold that lead to a possible blow out? I had a 2000 accord which i replaced with the 2001 Tl HID set, and within two months, the set burned out, oy. However, are the PIAA bulbs use exactly the same power details as the stock bulbs?
Thanks
Are you talking about true HIDs? They only generate 35W.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Don't confuse HIDs with NON-HIDs

The power used by the HIDs systems is FAR less than that used by traditional headlights.

The life span of HIDs should be FAR greater than any traditonal headlight.

If you've used PIAA bulbs in the past, you know they are CONVETIONAL headlights. The filament is somewhat fragile, and they are available in "high wattage" designs. Personally I do not think they represent a good value.

TRUE HID systems can be purchased for around $400, and while pricey at least are "no brainer" when it comes to actual IMPROVEMENT IN LIGHT OUTPUT. The same cannot be said for PIAA bulbs...

Where did you get the 2001 TL HID setup from? Was it replaced under warranty? Perhaps they were, uh, 'creatively obtained'? http://www.bxtimes.com/News/2002/0307/Letters/005.html

I'm sure you'll see the light :D

Chromedeuces said:
Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
bulb difference...

Does anyone know for sure, if I can sure same bulb for low beam on the fog light? Someone told me it's doable, and the dealer tells me it's not.

Please help...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: bulb difference...

mckb32 said:
Does anyone know for sure, if I can sure same bulb for low beam on the fog light? Someone told me it's doable, and the dealer tells me it's not.

Please help...
Both your low beam and fogs are 9006 bulbs. Your dealer is an idiot! OK maybe not an idiot but stupid for not reseaching the info before telling u that it is not do-able.

Double check your owners manual, too. It has all the info you need on the size of your bulbs.

Just another one of those times where u can't always trust the dealer.

-WL

·
Registered
45 Posts
after reading some of the threads, i've decided that i would like the silverstars. but i don't know what to get. do i get the headlamps or just the bulbs? what number (ex. 9006) do i get? i'm clueless about these things. i only drive the mdx. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
, your going to buy the bulb not the headlamp, 9006 bulb for lows and fogs and 9005 for highs,

·
Registered
14 Posts
HID Conversion

DUBYA123 said:
I went with the silverstars for a while until I upgraded to HIDS, nothing really compares to HIDS, even the blue dipped bulbs dont compare (too dull) or maybe its just me, 400 dollar difference makes things brighter:)
Did you use the same fuse for the HID conversion and what is the power rating of your HID?

·
Registered
5 Posts
HIDs installed

I installed HIDs on my 2002 MDX this past weekend.

I purchased:
- Low beams
Stage 1 9006 HID Conversion kit
Supreme Power Parts
http://www.supremepowerparts.com/
(714) 632-1951
Philips Xenon 4,300k HID conversion kit for $540. This complete kit includes:
- Two (2) Philips Xenon D2S or D2R bulbs (depending on application)
- Two (2) Philips ballasts vehicle attachments
- Wiring and installation instructions
- 5yr warranty
Eric recommends replacing the low beam fuse with a 15 AMP fuse. [email protected].

I also purchased:
- Fogs
- Sylvania Silverstars, 9006, listed for $40 per pair.

Size info:
fogs/lows - 9006=HB4
high beams - 9005=HB3

With the assistance of all the posts and the instructions included, I was able to get them installed without any major incidences even though I am not very handy when it comes to cars. Taking my time and making sure I got everything right, took me approximately 1.5 hours for the low beams. 40 minutes for the fogs. Someone who knows their way around cars and such, well less than half that.

A few observations:
The kit that I bought, the connectors must be shorter than some of the other kits folks have referenced here, as I couldn't reach the flat surfaces below the windshield wiper fluid holder on the right and well below the battery on the left side. I used the space on the side of the interior engine well, above the fuse box on the right. Not ideal, as it does block opening the fuse box, however, since it's valcro, very easy to pull off and out of the way, then back again without incident. On the left side, I used a section of the interior engine well that slopes at approx. 45 degrees from verticle and attaches to the horizontal bottom section that others have used. I cleaned everything good with alcohol and everything is holding just great. Note: When using the connector adapters, it is easy to make sure you get the correct polarity by looking at the color of the wire feeds on the car connect. You can see where the red comes in. Oh, and I almost forgot. I did have to file down one of the connector adapter pins with a file to get it to fit all the way into the car connector. The way they flatten the ends, they tend to get a bit curved and not fit all the way in without just a tad of filing.

As for the fogs... used the directions in the owners manual for replacing. However, I was able to avoid removing the right light, as I had enough room to reach it from inside the engine block. Left side I was able to remove (although it required me purchasing a 3/8 in. ratchet extender that I didn't have in the tool box :) ). Found it tricky getting the screw back in place to tighten everything back up, but finally managed to get it to hold in place to get the threading started.

As my notes above indicates, Eric recommends upgrading to a 15 AMP fuse. Checked the owners manual, the fuse for the low beams comes 20 AMP from the factory. So, no change there.

Now, as for the lights. I drove them back from Steamboat CO to Denver last Sunday night. They are great! I now notice very little difference when I have my high beams on and the fogs add little difference now as well - because the HIDs are just that good. I highly recommend spending the $40 to make the fogs look the same color as the HIDs. Before I replaced them and just had the HIDs in, the yellow fogs looked rediculous against the HIDs.

Regarding the brightness and other vehicles.... On the 2.5 hour trip back that night, I was flashed once or twice when not having my highs on and have been flashed once driving at night in Denver so far this week. Something that I was doing on the way back from Steamboat, making sure that I was letting the oncoming car see me switch from high beam to low. This probably reduced some potential flashes. I do notice, as others have mentioned, people tend to know I'm behind or beside them and seem to move over faster than they used to. Kind of a nice safety feature, really. Not only are things for you more visible, but your more visible to others. Had my girlfriend in her Honda Accord in front of me a couple of nights ago. She indicated that the lights weren't bad in her rear view, but where blinding if hitting her side mirrors just right.

Anyway, I for one am super impressed with the new lights and will feel much safer with my night driving. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Let me know if you have any questions. I don't have a digital camera to show where I mounted, but if anyone has the same kit and needs to see where I put the ballasts, I can get one from a friend and post.

·
Registered
428 Posts
SPP sure did go up in price, 540 is really high for 4200k, i bought the 6000k from them for cheaper than that, I guess because HIDS are becoming more popular

·
Registered
5 Posts
HID price

----------------------------------
SPP sure did go up in price, 540 is really high for 4200k, i bought the 6000k from them for cheaper than that, I guess because HIDS are becoming more popular

----------------------------------

They have some less expensive options, but they don't include the 5 year warranty and according to Eric, aren't as user friendly to install. I didn't do much shopping around, so I'm sure folks can find for less.

·
Registered
153 Posts
manus1980 said:
I had sylvania and it was white but still had enough yellow to appear like HID want to be bulbs. I still have the Sylvania bulbs and if your interested I can send them to you for $14 shipped. I used them for only 1 month and they are in perfect untouched condition. PIAA 4000k and the Japanese 5000k is the closest thing to HID and they have a long life. If your not going to get HID get the PIAA.
Manus,
If your silverstars are still available, i'll take them... I'll pm you...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I got my Philips 4300K HIDs for only $360 shipped with a one year warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We've got a group buy going...

On the Philips HIDs. Philips ballasts and Philips bulbs, $450 delivered, with a 1 year warranty.

Check the group buy section.

Hurry, payment must be received by 1/31...

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts