Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. As you can see, I'm new. And as you can see from my signature, I could be very popular here. Or maybe the comment about never owning one will get me banned in less than 24 hours. But it's the truth. I drive them all day, why would I want to drive one in my off time? Especially after seeing all the things that go wrong with them!

I'll probably mostly stay in the Problem and Maintenance forums, seeing as how I don't actually own what this whole board is about, but I'll be around.

Rob

·
Registered
747 Posts
Welcome Rob...

Err...you own a Honda. Doesn't this for all intents and purposes go against your no acura policy?

Rob :31:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
TheRobSJ said:
.............I drive them all day, why would I want to drive one in my off time? Especially after seeing all the things that go wrong with them!
An Acura mechanic that will never own one...believe it.

Rob
So you own a Chevy Truck? Something smells fishy here.

·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's fishy? Look in the employee parking at the dealer, and you'll find a LOT of American trucks. Oh sure, there are a few loyal to the brand. Our shop foreman has an SLX. Now that is REAL loyalty to want to have one of those rollover masters. But most of us don't drive what we work on.

Yes I own a Honda bike. No I will never own a Honda car. The reason? I believe that no matter what vehicle they have, there is something American that is better or at least equal to it. For the MDX, what comes to mind is the GMC Envoy/Chevy TrailBlazer/and Bravada if anyone actually buys that one. I almost bought a TrailBlazer, but I got the Silverado instead just in case I ever had the desire to wear a cowboy hat while driving, and a full size truck had loads of interior room. And don't even get me started on people that think the NSX is the very best sports car there is. There's PLENTY of better cars out there.

Bikes however...hmmm, what's the offerings for American sportbikes? Oh gee, it's just these mutated Harley's that are called Buells. And get outperformed in just about everyway by imports. Jeez, even Triumph blows them away! So, I'll give it to Honda for the two wheeled world, but my respect goes away when you put more than two wheels on them (and yes that includes those silly looking GoldWing trikes that people build).

Rob

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi TheRobSJ:

___Ok, lets here about some maintenance comparisons … GX470, RX300, Highlander, Odyssey, and Pilot vs. the MDX as far as serviceability, general problems found, quality of build, or anything else that you may have heard of/seen up close and personal in regards to the X? I own (2) Toyota’s and a Honda as far as the family is concerned but an 03 X is on order.

___Welcome to the forums by the way. I am a very new member as well :D

___As an afterthought, Chevy makes very tough landscaping trucks!

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
89 Posts
GM Products Appeal

Welcome to the board TheRobSJ. BTW, I appreciated your post regarding the SRS light.

Chevy Silverado, huh? My wife drives a 2001 GMC Yukon XL and prefers it over the MDX. I enjoy driving the MDX, she enjoys the Yukon. No problem. She also pumps a lot more gas into the Yukon. She tells me that she feels "safe" driving the behemoth.

Look forward to additional insight in the problems and maintenance forum.

:cool:

·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xcel said:
Hi TheRobSJ:

___Ok, lets here about some maintenance comparisons … GX470, RX300, Highlander, Odyssey, and Pilot vs. the MDX as far as serviceability, general problems found, quality of build, or anything else that you may have heard of/seen up close and personal in regards to the X?
LX470 you mean? Or Land Cruiser to more precise. Still one of the original SUVs. Kinda evolved to more of a "minivan" like SUV. The original Land Cruisers were very capable off road. The Lexus version is more show than go. (When you see rap stars owning them, that's a sign, and I know that MC Hammer has one) The Nav and stereo system is the very best. Yes I prefer Toyota's Navi over Honda's. The Lexus is a bulletproof brand name. More reliable and better initial quality. The very best of the Japanese brands IMO. The RX300 and Highlander are on the same platform I believe. Haven't had any experience with those.

The Pilot and MDX are based on the Odyssey platform. So, of course, serviceability, build quality, and all that are all very similar. Including all the same design flaws like the moonroof seal, sloshing noise from the fuel tank, and brakes that make "click" noises all the time. The SUVs have complicated things a little more with the 5-speed auto. Which is a horrible design by the way. Just a beefed up version from the TL/CL (which I'd say about 1 in 5 will fail before 60k). The VTM-4 system seems to be a pretty good design so not too many problems there. So if you are getting an '03, if the dealer pitches you an extended warranty, get it. The transmission has been a major weak point on these cars, and it'd REALLY suck to have to pony up over $2k for a rebuilt tranny because you have 50k on the odometer and you're out of the factory warranty.

Rob

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
TheRobSJ

Rob,
What is your take on the transmission as far as replacement?
There has been a few topics on here regarding whether the replacments are truly remans or rebuilts.
Also, where they are rebuilt or remanufactured.
By the way, most of us with 02s have had minimal if any problems with brakes clicking or fuel sloshing annoyingly. And I find my brakes very quiet, cold or hot.
Maybe my hearing is going, but I hear just fine when my wife says something under her breath.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi TheRobSJ:

___Actually, no. The GX470 discussion as linked intrigues a lot of future MDX owners. This vehicle is out of my league as far as price is concerned but many apparently feel that this may be an MDX decision killer if Acura decides to push the X into the $40,000 + range in almost any trim … Myself included although the MDX is by far the best looking SUV on the market IMHO.

___Thanks for the comments on the MDX Transmission. I was going over the pros and cons of the X against all of the above just tonight with the real future X owner (my wife ;)) and mentioned the MDX transmission problems appearing sporadically in this forum. Do you think the 03 Odyssey would have similar problems with its 5 speed through its 2-wheel drive (only) setup? We also discussed the Highlander as another lower end choice if the RX300 cannot be found at a reasonable discount locally.

___Thanks in advance for your insight.

___Good Luck

PS: You may want to consider keeping your head down a bit as you are providing some eerily good information in regards to the X that American Honda/Acura may not like the public to know about. Maybe remove your posting locale just in case anyone is watching as someone usually does when a forum of this type springs up … Just a pre-cautionary thought is all.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brakes click very pronounced, mostly from the rear, in a situation where you back up first, brake to shift the pads over in the carriers, then go foward. You'll hear the click again at the first aplication of the brakes as the pads shift back. Varies alot though.

As far as the transmissions go... They are ALL remans in some form or another from what I can see. Some have almost every part including the case replaced new. For all I know, maybe there are some new ones, but they all still come from the reman. center, most likely for testing. I have no idea where they are done. I've never read the tags that close.

I believe that the '03 Odyssey will have the same failures as the TL/CL/MDX if they use the same 5-speed. It's just not a good design. This month I'd estimate that my dealer has replaced 25 CL/TL transmissions, and probably 5 MDXs as well. But there are alot more CL/TLs on the road.

It's what I'd call an embarassment of a design flaw. I bet you didn't know that jsut about EVERY Integra or Civic made in the 90's (yes the whole decade) will require the trailing arms to be replaced. A $900 job at the dealer. Just a poor design. Same goes for the clutch master cylinder on those cars. Bad design. This 5-speed transmission is going to go down in the history books as being just as bad.

And I'm not worried about American Honda coming after me. I won't exactly make it super easy for anyone by saying what dealer I work for, but if they should find me and I have to change the scenery, the beauty of my profession is nationwide job security. And with my credentials, I can easily get another job...especially for what they pay me now!

Rob

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi TheRobSJ:

___Once again, thank you for the internal insights.

___When the 03 X becomes available, I hope you have a chance to look through the service manuals and see if a redesign or fix for whatever ails this particular transmission was indeed installed. An update as to what you see as possible problems right now may help others avoid problems with their transmissions in the future. Is it heat, lack of a filter, poor seals, poor clearances, lack of some essential maintenance from the factory … that is causing all of these problem transmissions or is it just that the housing/gears/bearings are not beefed up enough to handle the 240 HP engine and VTM? With Acura sending out all of the broken transmissions for inspection (as has been discussed a few times), they must have found a root cause already as well as created/designed a fix by now? In any case, please keep us informed as this is a big deal for most current and future X owners. Could it be as simple as adding the Acura based transmission cooler possibly?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hi Rob! and welcome to the board!!

TheRobSJ said:
Hello folks. As you can see, I'm new. And as you can see from my signature, I could be very popular here. Or maybe the comment about never owning one will get me banned in less than 24 hours. But it's the truth. I drive them all day, why would I want to drive one in my off time? Especially after seeing all the things that go wrong with them!

I'll probably mostly stay in the Problem and Maintenance forums, seeing as how I don't actually own what this whole board is about, but I'll be around.

Rob
I think you would be a GREAT resource and benefit to this board!!.....from your posts below I can see that you're really passionate about your profession and cars in general.....can't find too many of your kind these days.

BTW, my brother's 2002 TL-Type S transmission just blew up and he just took the car in today and they're gonna put a remanufactured one in (they say it's not built to a new one's tolerances)......so my thought on this is, if the new ones fail so frequently a remanufactured one must be even worse :rolleyes:

Anyways this has been a real eyeopener........ and I'm seriously reconsidering my decision to get a 2003 MDX!.......I'm still in shock/disbelief and then my brother showed me on the TL forums (www.acura-tl.com) that this is not an isolated incidence, and now I recall that a couple of people had said they were having their transmissions replaced on their TLs and CLs.....see my post in the link below

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7116

Wonder what's happening to that "famed" Acura/Honda quality :confused:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
xcel said:
Hi TheRobSJ:

__Is it heat, lack of a filter, poor seals, poor clearances, lack of some essential maintenance from the factory ? that is causing all of these problem transmissions or is it just that the housing/gears/bearings are not beefed up enough to handle the 240 HP engine and VTM?
I can not answer these with any real authority as maybe RobSJ can, but there is a an inline filter in the cooling line. It is screwed into the transmission housing on the outside. However, looking at the service manual it appears it is only replaced if there are repairs, not routinely.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Changed my Mind

Geez.. I thought when I placed my order 2 weeks ago for my '02 Black/Ebony X I was making a good decision. But since I have found this board it appears that I was mistaken. I guess I should have bought a Lexus.. they never fail and their quality is far superior to that of any other vehicle produced. Or at least that is what ALOT of people like to infer on these threads. And now we have ROB the Acura mechanic who hates HONDA and owns a CHEVY. Now there is a car that doesn't have any problems.. a CHEVY. Now I am not saying CHEVY is all bad. I happen to own a POS '88 s-10, its a great yard work truck. I know people who swear by the CHEVY not me though.

But if the American made vehicles are as good as or better than the imports then why are you ROB working for Acura if you are so underpaid as you claim. Go get a job at Chevy or Ford and be happy with your life I am sure with the MILLIONS of fleet vehicles they sell there must be plenty of work to go around. But don't try to sell me a bill of goods that Acura is the only manufacturer who has issues with their cars. Or that their issues are at all in any way different from anybody else. Let me explain.

I have over the last 12 years owned vehicles made by a 7 different manufaturers VW, Ford, Chevy, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Honda, Toyota. I will NEVER EVER buy the following makes of vehicles again : Ford, Mitsubishi, and Toyota. The reason is that every one of them had a major failure within the warranty period that the dealers were UNABLE or UNWILLING to repair. I am not likely to again buy the VW or the Chevy again due to the shear number of problems that I had with both vehicles. The VW was dealer serviced and they DID stand behind their product. The Chevy is easy enough for me to work on myself which is why I still have it. That leaves Isuzu and Honda. I would definately buy both again. Though the Isuzu is not quite as good in my opinion as the Honda but they do build decent SUV's.

And on that note I owned a '94 Trooper and never rolled it once after 50k miles. I love how you point out that the SLX is prone to flip, but how many people do you ACTUALLY know who rolled their Troopers? I know alot more drunk rednecks that have rolled their Silverados. I guess CR ought to issue a safety notice on all Chevy trucks that if you turn a corner after sucking down a 12 pack of beer at 65 miles an hour that the Chevy has a propensity to tip over. Get real.

I am sure that you will be a wealth of knowlede on this board but I wish people would get their head out of their @sses when they make ridiculus comments about how "BAD" the Acura quality is. I loved the quality and service I got from my Honda and my Honda Dealer. I am sure I will be able to say the same about my Acura when I take delivery on 9/10. Until then I will keep lurking..

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Acuras and Hondas-

Rob the ASE mechanic from San Jose has a title...I respect that and over the years of my existence in owning, racing and modifying Honda cars, Honda motorcycles and Acura vehicles...I have never came accross a situation where I feel that these vehicles are inferior of or possess bad designs. My friends are ASE mechanics and as mechanics am sure that you will have received the same types of responses depending on where the mechanics work and what types of cars/bikes he works on...!:eek:

If you ask an MB mechanic about Mercedes...he will tell you faults of his cars. If you ask a ford, chevy, GM he will tell you faults of his cars and same thing with Hondas and Acuras...The ONLY American car that I ever own is a crappy piece of car called a Gremlin....sheesh!:eek:

Since then I owned a 1971 Honda Civic, 1980 Honda Civic, 1989 Honda Prelude Si, 1990 Honda CRX Si, 1991 Acura Integra LSSE, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1988 Honda Hurricane, 1991 Honda CBR F1, 1996 Honda CBR F3, 1996 Honda CBR900RR, 2000 Honda RC51, 1996 Honda RC45, 2002 Honda RCV211, 1999 Acura Integra and 2001 Acura MDX and NOT one...NOT one of these vehicle that I own breaks down due to abuse or regular use. Keep in mine...I race some of these vehicles and I abuse the hell out of them and if anyone seen people who races...these vehicles go through environment that is beyond normal environment compare to everyday driving...

Who knows...maybe am lucky...maybe am one of of those owners who just got lucky on the VINs that I received...but from the laundry list....that is one hell of a pattern or coincidence. All I can say is, I believe Hondas/Acuras have reliable vehicles. Only recently have I considered the H2(hummer 2) because of some extreme activities I do and I need to abuse the vehicle to the extent that I will not worry about dents, dings, scratches or having the vehicle get muddy or whatever...

Anyway....Dont let one mechanic voice his opinions to scare all of you off to purchase a vehicle that you like to drive. With anything there is a level of risk and that risk is a risk all of you need to reallize when you purchase a vehicle or anything.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree - every car has potential problems. I had a 1989 Nissan Maxima for >12 years and never had any significant problems with it. Others have had problems with Nissans, but my experience was great. As far as Lexus/Toyota, they have not been immune to problems either (i.e. V6 engine sludge problem).

BTW, I bought an extended warranty, so hopefully I should be OK with my tranny ;)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
My Honda lawnmower finally gave out after ...

... 17 faithful years of trouble free service. Name me an American lawnmower that can top that:rolleyes:

By the way the new mower is a Honda:1:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
People who select a vehicle based on country of origin alone are deluded

There have been some in this thread that have condemned foreign cars and adamantly stood behind American cars. Come on people that is crap!

Fords are made in many other countries, just as GMs are. Chrysler is not even an American company anymore. Everyone knows that the MDX is made in Canada (along with other American branded cars). Many Hondas and Toyotas are made in the good ol USA. How anyone can pick solely on manufacturing location is beyond me.

Its not patriotism either (those who insist on "American" buy other products that are foreign).

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
My personal legacy

1974 Olds Cutlass Supreme - minor problems
1977 Toyota Corolla - trouble free
1979 Toyota Corolla - minor problems
1980 Datsun 200SX - trouble free
1884 Nissan Stanza - major problems, very expensive
1988 Ford Taurus - major problems
1994 Chrysler Concorde - major problems, extended warranty
1997 Toyota RAV4 - minor annoyances
1999 Ford EB Expedition - v. minor recall issue
2001 Acura MDX - trouble free
2002 Acura TL-S - trouble free

Is there a clear cut edge? foreign vs. domestic? I've had major troubles with both and good success with both.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey everyone .... remember where we are .... an online anonymous forum. For all we know Rob works for a competitor and his goal is to play mind games with potential MDX buyers. He may not even be a mechanic. Don't believe everything you read.

See his reply in the Maintenance section - Tipping post. Here he states that we should be tipping him if we want our service problems resolved - it begins to sound like we need to bribe him to do his job!

If even a small number of honda/acura mechanics have his attitude, then we do have a problem :rolleyes: and it has nothing to do with the vehicles.

Well, I didn't like his attitude in the Tipping post and his postings here have not improved my first impression of him.
Getting off my soapbox (with sidesteps :D )

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.