Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an ongoing problem with my HFL and baking it in the oven fixes it for a while (there are a couple of threads on the subject).

I just tried baking my HFL again for the 5th time, each time it works for months and then dies. This time just after I took it out of the oven the baking sheet sprung or warped, I guess due to a temp change. When this happened 3 capacitors and 2 coils popped off the board. The coils are OK as they have no polarity but he capacitors have a positive & negative side. I don't know which way to put them back on. I did try to reattach them but I've got it wrong. I'm hoping that someone can take a picture of their board. Maybe you've replaced yours & still have the old board or you take your original out to try the baking method to fix it.
If you look at the top of the capacitors one side has a black mark on it, that's the negative side. My problem is with the larger board on the bottom so you'll have to remove the smaller top board, you can just pull it straight up and it will unplug from the bottom board.

If you look at the attached picture the 3 items in question are:
1. Looking at the board (connector to the right) in the top right corner there are 2 silver round cans, it's the larger one to the left, should the black face the top edge or bottom edge?
2. On the far left edge of this board there is only 1 large silver can, should the black face the top edge or bottom edge?
3. On the very bottom edge of this board there is only 1 large silver can, again, should the black be on the top edge or bottom edge? On mine, this one has a small round rubber pad on the top that just peels off, it will stick when you put it back on.

This is for a 2006 MDX, should be the same on 03 - 06, other years will have a different board.
Also, this is the larger board, there is a smaller board that sits on top of this one.

A couple of fellow MDX'ers have provided me with pictures but unfortunately they were from the 2nd gen MDX's which have a different board. I need the 1st gen MDX, the HFL module is located in the panel above the rear view mirror.
Any help will really be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If your HFL has died that many times, there's likely something other than the typical flaky solder connection wrong... I suspect you'll be haunted by the same problem many times in the future even if you do get the caps put on correctly. FWIW, most electrolytic caps are associated with power supply functions, so chances are you could use an ohmmeter and figure out which of the two PCB connections are tied to ground, and put the negative side of the cap there.

But if it was my HFL (a moot point since my MDX doesn't have one...), I'd do this:

Factory Acura 04 05 06 HFL Bluetooth Cellphone Control Module | eBay

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info habbyguy.
I agree that there may be something else wrong with it but since it works for 3 - 6 months after I bake it it's worth it to me to keep it limping along (must be the old tech in me). Good point about the capacitors, I actually tried to find a common ground on the circuit board but it has about 4 layers and everything is surface mounted so it's a bear to work on. It's worth trying that again, I'm still hoping to get a picture from a fellow MDXER though.
I took a look at the link you provided, it clearly states that it's the HFL / Bluetooth module for a 2004 - 2006 MDX however I have no idea what that really is, looks nothing like mine. It's definitely not the HFL module for a 04 - 06 MDX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts