Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my hfl module quit working so i replaced it with an original module from the dealer my phone is still not reconized and if i try to pair it again its says no phones have been paired and wont let me pair it
what am i doing wrong??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Procedure requred:

Push talk button and system beeps
Say "phone setup"
Push talk button
Say "pair"
Listen to all the instructions
Push talk button
Enter "0000" as your pairing code as HFL system recognizes it really well.

Ensure Bluetooth is active on your phone and it is in discovery or search mode

Select HandsFreeLink when it pops up enter 0000 and it will say successfully paired and ask you to enter a name for the phone

Push talk button

Name your phone

Done

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what ive been doing i push the talk button and the system beeps then i say phone setup and it keeps telling no phones have been paired and thats all it tells me ,doesnt give me an option to pair the phone so i did a system clear and now it lets me complete the pair

·
Registered
354 Posts
First, the new HFL bluetooth module you bought, is it the same part number as the one that failed? If yes, return it and get a a different part number. The original parts have been failing in all cars. If you have the same, it will fail again later on. I talked to my Acura parts especialyst and he send me the correct replacement module that replaces the one that fails.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I remember well, when the BlueTooth module is disconnected we loose the voice commands for radio, A/C, etc.

What I did to keep the module connected, use voice commands, and avoid the battery drain, I installed a micro-relay that disconnects the power from the module when the car is OFF. The relay is powered by the AUX power and the Normally Open (NO) contact interrupts the permanent power wire. I used this wiring for several years without any problems. Even after I replaced the BT module years later, I still have this wiring configuration in place. If the new module goes bad ever, I will not have a battery drain.

The factory wiring keeps the BT module powered 24x7, that is part of the problem in the electronics failing. This relay wiring switches the module ON only when the car is used, therefore it should extend its life.

Attachments

Reactions: Alpine003

·
Registered
798 Posts
If I remember well, when the BlueTooth module is disconnected we loose the voice commands for radio, A/C, etc.

What I did to keep the module connected, use voice commands, and avoid the battery drain, I installed a micro-relay that disconnects the power from the module when the car is OFF. The relay is powered by the AUX power and the Normally Open (NO) contact interrupts the permanent power wire. I used this wiring for several years without any problems. Even after I replaced the BT module years later, I still have this wiring configuration in place. If the new module goes bad ever, I will not have a battery drain.

The factory wiring keeps the BT module powered 24x7, that is part of the problem in the electronics failing. This relay wiring switches the module ON only when the car is used, therefore it should extend its life.
I was thinking of doing something similiar at one point but never got around to it. Thanks for posting about it. I'm really surprised they thought the BT needs to be on 24/7.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
That is right. With HFL, the parasitic draw is 0.2 Amp. Without it, it is 0.02 Amp. I am much more confident with the battery when HFL is gone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I took mine to the dealer and they said my HFL was bad. $80 to disconnect it or $999 to replace it. I should have said I will disconnect it but I let them do the work. Will look and see if I can find this unit from OEMAcura or Amazon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts