Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me tell you what a PITA just to remove the serpentine belt. It took me almost 4.5 hours and 80% of that was trying to remove and install the serpentine belt using combination of tools that I have and removing the PS reservoir, coolant reservoir, ground cable just make rooms to get my rigged up tool to push the tensioner. If I had the Honda serpentine belt removal it would had saved me 3 hours. So here is my timing belt. It looks good and feels tight. I started the car with timing belt cover removed and the serpentine belt removed. I can not hear anything around the timing belt section. And I am still hearing the same ticking noise from the middle of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
"looks" good. but i never go off of looks for these belts. if it needs replaced just do the service, no point in gambling on it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks tell you if belt is physically deteriorating and needs immediate replacement. BUT, a good looking belt tells you absolutely nothing about expected remaining life. Your belt looks great on the outside but you can not see what really matters - the tensile cords on the inside.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
They almost always look "great" right up until the point they fail.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you think it is too soon to do the timing belt right now because it is only 79,600 miles / 6 years.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Don't you think it is too soon to do the timing belt right now because it is only 79,600 miles / 6 years.
I'm not sure on the 2nd gen.

According to my manual (I have a 2017, 3rd gen) it says normal interval is 105k miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. And every 60k if you drive in very high/low temperatures. But that's a 3rd gen. Probably similar for yours... but don't quote me on it.

Honestly, I don't understand why you've been tearing your MDX apart in all your threads.

Reactions: skinny2

·
Registered
268 Posts
My dad had a stealership do the belt, I never saw the condition. I believe for second gen it's 105k or 7 years, which ever comes first. Also when he got the belt done he got spark plugs, because they were most likely due. I never heard anything myself before he got the belt, but honestly I would never want to chance it if it's something this crucial in the engine.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So now you know the noise is somewhere else besides timing belt component and serpentine belt component. That is progress.

Suggest inspecting exhaust and spark plugs. Spark plug inspection is simply removing COP w/ engine at idle to see if noise is coming from a spark plug well. If yes, you likely have a very loose plug.

good luck

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure on the 2nd gen.

According to my manual (I have a 2017, 3rd gen) it says normal interval is 105k miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. And every 60k if you drive in very high/low temperatures. But that's a 3rd gen. Probably similar for yours... but don't quote me on it.

Honestly, I don't understand why you've been tearing your MDX apart in all your threads.

I am trying to find out what is causing the engine ticking/knocking noise

·
Registered
3,338 Posts

Again.. 2011 models were built in 2010... Acura always sells them before the year changes. So that 2011 timing belt is now 7 years old.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Meh. I just had mine replaced on my 07 with 135k. All was well. [puts flame suit on]

I debated with myself whether or not I should do the work or take it to a shop. Ended up going the shop route. $950 or so parts & labor.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meh. I just had mine replaced on my 07 with 135k. All was well. [puts flame suit on]

I debated with myself whether or not I should do the work or take it to a shop. Ended up going the shop route. $950 or so parts & labor.

So that was first timing belt changed on the car?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ive heard of many cars with OG Timing Belts with tons of miles/years... I think Honda is being conservative on the 105K/7y interval.

But common 7 years is more than enough time to save up for the procedure.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
There's almost no advantage to delaying the service. Unless you just can't afford it. Most people only perform the service once during the time they own the car so why risk it? Maybe if you plan to sell the car in a few months/year, but if your buyer/dealer knows it hasn't been performed they're going to deduct from the offer.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's almost no advantage to delaying the service. Unless you just can't afford it. Most people only perform the service once during the time they own the car so why risk it? Maybe if you plan to sell the car in a few months/year, but if your buyer/dealer knows it hasn't been performed they're going to deduct from the offer.

I am going to do it myself after I will figure out a way to remove and install the crankshaft bolt

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Check youtube for many videos on removing crankshaft bolt. My personal favorite is use of Lyle Harmonic Balancer Socket (77080) w/ good air impact. It did the job immediately on my 03 MDX during recent TB job.

good luck

Reactions: 07J36
1 - 20 of 62 Posts