Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Acura MDX Advance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just wanted to share some things I learned when I replaced the radiator on our 2010 X with 140k miles. I would highly recommend it as a preventative maintenance item if you live in the salt belt, especially after reading the stories of what happens when the transmission cooler fails and wrecks the transmission. The corrosion on ours was pretty bad so it should’ve probably been done sooner but I’m glad it got replaced before failure. I also found some more surprises on the tear down. The hose clamps for the lower radiator hose, trans cooler lines and power steering lines were all rusted bad and had started some small leaks from the clamps deteriorating. I replaced them with the worm style instead which I think are much better. Also I should’ve looked closer before tearing it all apart cause our condenser has started to leak the refrigerant oil out on the one side also. Something to inspect if you’re thinking about tackling this job.
I was able to do all the work from the top and didn’t have to remove the plastic panel behind the bumper. This job is not fun so if you don’t like a challenge it might be better to pay someone to install it. Also most of the bolts holding the fan and cooler lines to the radiator were rusted solid so I had to break the tabs off the old radiator to remove those items. Make sure to have spare m6 bolts on hand. I used my 3/8 cordless ratchet from harbor freight for alot of the job which made life easier. Also be sure to inspect the cooler lines to the transmission. One of ours was turned in a way that caused a kink in the hose. Got a denso radiator from Amazon for around $160 with the updated cooler and I now ordered a spectra condenser to install later for $75. Anyways hopefully some of this info was helpful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Great write up..

Do you have a link to the radiator that you bought off Amazon as a reference?

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts