Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 on order (cant wait)

i am thinking that i will only add rear mud flaps and also thinking about bsm and winter mats.

what i want to know is if it is worth buying these online or are the savings on such small items negligable for the hassle.

specifically, are the winter mats installed or are they removeable? are they worth buying at all and if so why?

are the rear mud flaps really easy to install, because i am competant, but i am not a home car builder type of a guy.

thanks

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Wow, I guess I'm the guy today who's trumpeting the best parts-place guys we've ever met -- Tim and Erik at www.hondacuraworld.com . Price is better than any dealer, shipment is free, and shipment is fast unless they have problems stocking an item.

The rear mud guards are simple to install -- only 2 or 3 screws, if I recall properly. Don't know about the mats, but call Tim or Erik and they'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The savings when you buy from Tim (HondaWorld) are considerable, especially when you install these items yourself.

I installed the rear mud guards, very easy. You need a stubby #2 phillips to install one screw because of lack of room, tire is in the way. I saw a few here mention that they removed the tire but that is not necessary with a short tool. I couldn't find the stubby that was in my toolbox for years so I just used a phillips driver bit with pliers to turn that one screw in.

BSM's, although I have not installed, are also easy per other posts here. The 2003 may have BSM's.

Don't know about the mats.

One item that you didn't mention that is worth considering is the FormFit hood deflector. It is only about $95 from Tim, looks good, and is very easy to install. Took me about 20 minutes total, 5 to read the instructions, 5 to find the tools, and 10 to install the FormFit. Costs a lot less than the Acura deflector, is quieter, and looks much better.

As you probably have discovered already, Acura Dealers charge too much for add ons.

Hope you like your MDX as much as I have.

·
Registered
229 Posts
As you can see from my signature below I have lots of accessories! Click on signature for photos of exterior accessories.

I had the dealer match Tim's prices for the cargo tray, cargo cover, cargo net, separation net and allweather mats. I told them I could put those in myself ... didn't need to pay them to install. Not only did they match Tim's price, but they installed them all anyway.

All the exterior accessories were installed by the dealer ... we are not a DIY household :rolleyes: .

The dealer also color matched the fender flares, mud guards and rear deflector. Based on Tim's prices my dealer gave me fair prices to do these. Of course I had to pay for installation.

The first dealer we had gone to was price gouging (Acura of Boston)so we walked away and found another who was willing to treat us fairly (Sunnyside Acura, NH). If you have a reasonable dealer they should try to match Tim's prices on parts and charge you for the instal.

I am happy I spent the money to get the car to look just like I wanted.

As soon as the '03 specs come out in the next few weeks get the pricing from Tim and see if your dealer will match. If they are charging over msrp for car and aren't flexible on accessory prices, I would consider taking my business elsewhere :4: .

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am definitely not the DIY kind of person. But the mud flap is just so easy that everyone here can do it in less than 20 min. BSM is easy too. But I think it will nerve wrecking for non-DIY'er especially for the very first car-related job and on a $40K car!. The hard part for installing BSM I think will be the alignment. Is it too high, too low, too left ... But it is easy. Basically, you just stick 1 piece of plastic to a flat surface (repat 4 times).

As for winter mats, I thought it is just a sheet of mat. Just lay it on the cargo floor and that's it, right? I saw a photo in this site once about it. You can try looking for it on the gallery section or do a search about winter mat ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts