Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister wants a ML320 :eek:, I want to show her how much trouble these things. Is there a site like ours that she can check out.
She has a Mercedes sedan and a wagon and thinks the ML will be just a reliable.

thanks
mike

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
First off, I want to say that the ML320 is a very good vehicle. Depending on your sister's priorities, it may indeed be a great vehicle for her. It has a lot of positive attributes.

Being an SUV, it's going to suffer more problems than a sedan. Unfortunately the ML320 does seem, statistically, to suffer more than a lot of other MB's too. For specifics, you can refer her to Consumer Reports (solid black dot for all model years listed). Also JD Power at www.jdpower.com; look up specific ML320 model years for short/long-term.

I think ML quality is much better now than it was before. I think the amount of break-down problems has gone down a lot and what's left are mostly annoying issues. But, overall, the M-class, even now in its fifth model year, still struggles to reach an "average" score in JD Power and Consumer Reports. Some folks will find that unacceptable and a disqualifier in their vehicle selection. Other folks will take their chances and hope that their only problems are the lesser ones, and enjoy the many positive attributes of their vehicle.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
www.mbworld.org has an ML and problems section on it. Not a ton of traffic but the posters tend not to sugarcoat anything. Similar software to our site.

www.mbnz.org also has an ML forum. Software isn't as good as this site's, so it's tough to find stuff (anything more than 1 week old scrolls off the page, and there is no organization @ all). IMO the posters there tend to downplay problems.

Both worth checking out, however.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Former ML owner now an X-Man

We had the first model year of the ML-320 which we drove for three years. It was actually trouble-free - and held its value quite well on resale. When we went new SUV shopping we found the 2002 MLs were vastly improved over that first year, but when we compared the Mercedes to the Acura. It was a no-brainer. The X is roomier, more comfortable, has much better Navigation, and (similarly equipped) costs thousands less. The only bonus for the 2003 MLs is free factory-scheduled maintenance - which Acura will get around to one of these years. They'll have to; every other luxo-maker is doing it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links and the inputs. I remember before I got my MDX like everyone else I looked at the ML but heard it was not up to Mercedes standard. I am sure they have improved but I still don't think it is up to what people expect from Mercedes, not up to par with there sedans. I just wanted to show her what she is getting into and let her decide from there.

·
Registered
715 Posts
SF, no problem, and, well, don't forget to show her another thing she could be getting into - your X!!:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
SF-MDX said:
My sister wants a ML320 :eek:, I want to show her how much trouble these things. Is there a site like ours that she can check out.
She has a Mercedes sedan and a wagon and thinks the ML will be just a reliable.

thanks
mike
I just came off a lease of an ML320. Part of my dislike for the ML was probably that when it did have a problem, the dealer always seemed to need two shots to fix it. I did have stalling a couple of times, which the dealer said was bad keys (chip in keys is part of security system). Unfortunately, with new keys, it crapped out at the end of the jersey turnpike, 150 miles from home. A month later, it was driven back with a new fuel pump and a new on board computer. I also had the engine light come on several times, and while told it was loose gas cap at first, it was two mal functions, separate times, in the emissions system. The ML is a solid SOLID vehicle, felt more rugged than the X. With the truck feel of solidarity, it also felt just like a truck. The X is a huge improvement IMHO. I looked at the new ML as the end of my lease, but after testing an X my opinion was firmly made up. Only complaints on X are the extra width freaks my wife out when she drives thru narrow lanes in some construction sites, and I don't like where the driver's cup holder is! Any suggestions, if i ever do allow coffee in my beautiful X? <grin> just kidding, i do allow coffee, but not kidding about that cup holder!:29:

·
Registered
928 Posts
simply.....

:28: :16:

·
Registered
619 Posts
octavian said:
You also may want to go to the following, courtesy of the Moderator at MBworld.org....

Mercedes-Benz Problem Database

http://www.mercedesproblems.com/

and type in the model you are interested in.
:eek: :eek: I read 1/2 the ML page before i gave up. Holy Cow, how on earth can people justify buying this piece of crap!

·
Registered
616 Posts
wmquan said:
Being an SUV, it's going to suffer more problems than a sedan.
Hey William, I can't let that one slide by (and I don't mean to pick on that particular sentence out of the many fine things you have written, but...). Exactly what aspect of an SUV would cause it to inherently "suffer more problems than a sedan". Is it the complexity of the 4 wheel drive system? - many manufacturers have crafted some very well regarded and reliable 4 wheel drive systems for sedans including Subaru and MB's own 4Matic. Is it the larger body shell? - Minivan shells are larger still and can be quite structurally rigid (in particular the Odyssey). Is it the additional electronics that typically go into a "luxury" SUV? - they pale in comparison to the MB S500 and the BMW 745i.

Is it because, in the past, *most* SUVs were truck based and inherited the legacy of their poor performing, poor quality, poor reliability counterparts :)

(There really is no excuse for the reliability issues suffered by the ML models. There is nothing in the design or in the technology that should have prevented them from being able to construct a quality automobile - they just didn't)

·
Registered
699 Posts
sedan quality

donsev said:

Hey William, I can't let that one slide by (and I don't mean to pick on that particular sentence out of the many fine things you have written, but...). Exactly what aspect of an SUV would cause it to inherently "suffer more problems than a sedan". Is it the complexity of the 4 wheel drive system? - many manufacturers have crafted some very well regarded and reliable 4 wheel drive systems for sedans including Subaru and MB's own 4Matic. Is it the larger body shell? - Minivan shells are larger still and can be quite structurally rigid (in particular the Odyssey). Is it the additional electronics that typically go into a "luxury" SUV? - they pale in comparison to the MB S500 and the BMW 745i.

Is it because, in the past, *most* SUVs were truck based and inherited the legacy of their poor performing, poor quality, poor reliability counterparts :)

(There really is no excuse for the reliability issues suffered by the ML models. There is nothing in the design or in the technology that should have prevented them from being able to construct a quality automobile - they just didn't)
I think the original post was referring to higher quality in the Mercedes sedans, not general SUV vs sedan quality.

·
Registered
42 Posts
donsev said:

I do believe SUV is typically more problem-prone then sedan. The most reliable vehicle (article was about 1-2 years ago) was a Toyota Tercel. And the reason is simple: because it is a simple car. A lexus LS400 (now 430) is one of the most reliable vehicle around but it is just not as reliable as a Tercel. Also keep in mind that Tercel owners don't try as hard as others to keep up the maintenence.

SUV is slightly more complicated than a sedan (which has a much longer development history too), so here we have: SUV is less reliable than sedan.

I thought I read a JD Power survey once that said new truck has about 180 (per 1000? I don't recall now) defects relative to car's of about 100 (or maybe 110).

Having said that, I would still think a Toyota SUV is still more reliable than a Jaguar sedan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts