Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I uploaded the mp3 in a zip file so I could post it in here. This usually happens on cold engine starts (especially on cold days, but Ive noticed it happening now in spring temp days also), it seems to go away over time after car warms up. The serpentine belt was changed , but the noise did not go away. I find the noise embarrassing and want it taken care of.

Where should I start? have the idler/tensioner pulley replaced? or just go to dealer and pay the diagnostic fee?

any help is appreciated, thanks!

2011 mdx that now has 80k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
OP...Did you replace your serpentine belt or did you have someone else do it?

The serpentine belt's tensioner is hydraulic. This means that you should not use abrupt force, when you remove tension. You should firmly and steadily apply force and it will ease off of the belt and you can remove the old belt.

If you treat it like a lug nut, you can damage the tensioner's ability to retain pressure on the belt, when said belt is under load.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The serpentine belt's tensioner is hydraulic. This means that you should not use abrupt force, when you remove tension. You should firmly and steadily apply force and it will ease off of the belt and you can remove the old belt.

If you treat it like a lug nut, you can damage the tensioner's ability to retain pressure on the belt, when said belt is under load.

I bought a belt and gave it to a local shop to change...the noise was there before the change, and it still exists after the change.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
What is the brand of the belt you used? Have you ever changed the tensioner? My experience is that new replacement belts are of different lengths and some belts won't work with some tensioners.

I once paired a Mitsuboshi belt with a Gates tensioner, both are respectable brands, but they did not work well together and produced noise like this. When I finally put a Gates belt on the Gates tensioner, all noises disappeared. The Gates belt is shorter and VERY hard to install.

Since you are pretty close to timing belt change, I would just live with the noise for another 20k miles and then replace everything together with the big job.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

The Gates tensioner I used has a big spring inside. That is what Gates phone support people told me. The one for timing belt is hydraulic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the brand of the belt you used? Have you ever changed the tensioner? My experience is that new replacement belts are of different lengths and some belts won't work with some tensioners.

I once paired a Mitsuboshi belt with a Gates tensioner, both are respectable brands, but they did not work well together and produced noise like this. When I finally put a Gates belt on the Gates tensioner, all noises disappeared. The Gates belt is shorter and VERY hard to install.

Since you are pretty close to timing belt change, I would just live with the noise for another 20k miles and then replace everything together with the big job.

is the timing belt change a required one or just a "nice to do" preventative maintenance?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
is the timing belt change a required one or just a "nice to do" preventative maintenance?
That depends on how long you want your engine to last.

If you want the engine in your MDX to last much beyond 105k miles then a timing belt replacement should be considered MANDATORY. :grin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

can you please explain what replace everything includes?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Sure. It means replacing two belts and everything related.

1. Drive belt or serpentine belt. This is the easy one. Related items are idler and tensioner. All the parts are about 60 to 70 dollars. Dealer probably will charge $300.

2. Timing belt. This is the hard one. Typically owners let dealer or indy shops do it. It also includes belt, tensioner, idler etc. It may include spark plugs. Total will be more than $1100 at dealer. Add $200-$300 for spark plugs.

Since replacing timing belt will require removing drive belt, so maybe you can negotiate with dealer/shop so that they only charge parts for drive belt items, not labor. But this is not guaranteed. Also while removing and installing drive belt will require compressing the drive belt tensioner, doing it together is better since you only need to compress it once.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you do the timing belt you should also do the water pump. Consider camshaft seals, as well, although less important.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I used Gates kit but the noise is still there on cold engine starts
Accessory Belt Drive Kit
Gates® Complete™ Serpentine Kits make it easy to restore the entire accessory belt drive system. Neglecting to replace the tensioner and pulley(s) at the same time you replace the belt can ultimately shorten the life of the belt as well as other front-end accessory components. Each kit contains a Gates OE-equivalent belt, tensioner, idler pulley, and necessary hardware with installation instructions and tech tips for easy, accurate installation to virtually every vehicle on the road today.
90K38332

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Then do this.

First remove the belt and do a cold start
So you can be sure whether it is really due to belt and various pulley on the belt.

If the noise is gone, then it is. You have two choices. First, hand spin each pulley to determine which one. 2. With belt on, use a stethoscope to hear it.

It it is too hard for you, just live with it, until it is easy to diagnose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
That depends on how long you want your engine to last.

If you want the engine in your MDX to last much beyond 105k miles then a timing belt replacement should be considered MANDATORY. ?
Dude, I seen it. The timing belt might go 200k? All I know is the water pump clanks around 164k (8 sample size).
Which means that I've only seen EIGHT stupid people in my life that drove Honda/Acura's and let them fall to such lows.
Granted, they do get 5.1Hours for the job for this one. Expect a $1k bill, OP. If you have no other issues, pull the trigger.
You just don't know if they did the belt. Don't chance the trip on that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took the car to a honda mechanic and he stated to try changing the ac compressor mounting bolts per this TSB 10-035

my VIN doesnt seem to fall in the "Replace the drive belt, and install updated A/C compressor mounting bolts" section, but that was his first suggestion. The drive belt looks good.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I took the car to a honda mechanic and he stated to try changing the ac compressor mounting bolts per this TSB 10-035

my VIN doesnt seem to fall in the "Replace the drive belt, and install updated A/C compressor mounting bolts" section, but that was his first suggestion. The drive belt looks good.
Just want to make sure that you did replace drive belt + tension with pulley + idler pulley, correct? Instead of keeping throw money onto parts and labor, why don't you take a listen. Here is a good trick you can use. As the cars get old, DIY or not make a big difference. Better learn to do it yourself.

My MDX is actually covered by the TSB for changing the 4 bolts. I actually bought them. But since the noise is gone after changing drive belt + tension with pulley + idler pulley, I did not bother to install the 4 new bolts. As far as I know, this does not seem to be a popular issue. But it certainly won't hurt if you replace all four of them. I might get to it next time I do timing belt change. Will put another set of drive belt + tension with pulley + idler pulley on with these 4 bolts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just want to make sure that you did replace drive belt + tension with pulley + idler pulley, correct? Instead of keeping throw money onto parts and labor, why don't you take a listen. Here is a good trick you can use. As the cars get old, DIY or not make a big difference. Better learn to do it yourself.

My MDX is actually covered by the TSB for changing the 4 bolts. I actually bought them. But since the noise is gone after changing drive belt + tension with pulley + idler pulley, I did not bother to install the 4 new bolts. As far as I know, this does not seem to be a popular issue. But it certainly won't hurt if you replace all four of them. I might get to it next time I do timing belt change. Will put another set of drive belt + tension with pulley + idler pulley on with these 4 bolts.
  • Yes, it was the Gates 90K-38332 kit
  • Product Features
  • Contents: Belt
  • Tensioner
  • Idler

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.