Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good ole' elbow grease is whats needed till you get the glass to where you want it. Then just maintain it.
I use RainX treatment on all my toys and have for decades. Some do not like having to apply it every now and then, but its no different than cleaning and dressing tires or trim, to me.

Even after a good carwash, you'd be surprised as to how much grime is still on the glass you cannot see. Especially inside. The glass inside is bombarded by the chemicals released from interior pcs when they are hot from the sun, cigarette smoke (if you or p.o. smokes), and there is also just the air out of your lungs and the various things such as moisture, etc, thats expelled naturally with breathing, that will adhere to the glass.
To get the glass as clean as possible inside and out, you can use MagicEraser with an APC for lubricant. Another trick is claybar, but if you do not get enough lubricant on the glass for the clay, it will smudge and make it hard to get the clay off.

I have a small orbital polisher I use glass polish with, to help deep clean the glass.

As for glass cleaner itself, I have found that just using a favorite (aka; on sale) windshield washer fluid in my spray bottle works better than most dedicated glass cleaners. It's also alot cheaper!

As stated earlier as well, microfiber cloths work wonders. Mistake I have seen many do is use the towels indiscriminately. Chemicals from other cleaners, dressings, etc, can hang on even after going thru the laundry. Normally this does not matter, but glass will expose it. Get yourself a particular color of microfiber towels and use them solely for the glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I post in detailing but then realized the last action in there was 4 months ago!
I have used Invisible Glass and Windex with both paper and cloth towels and there are always streaks and smudged areas after cleaning.

Does anyone have a better way?
I agree about Rain-X. And I'd get it cleaned by a prof'l car wash/detailing place to start fresh.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Also remember that if you have had additional tinting put on the inside of any glass you must be very careful - some of the previously recommended methods would readily damage the tint layer. My tint guy made a recommendation for a glass cleaner that was safe for tint - I'll get the name next time I get in the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I swear by using crinkled up newspaper. Don't laugh - try it. I use regular Windex and wipe with newspaper. When it rips apart, crumble up a new page and continue. I find this to be the best method of wiping. Old detailers' trick from long ago, and it still works.
Yes - Windex and newspaper is the way to go. Newspaper doesn't leave anything behind...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I post in detailing but then realized the last action in there was 4 months ago!
I have used Invisible Glass and Windex with both paper and cloth towels and there are always streaks and smudged areas after cleaning.

I've been using streak-free Windex with a multi-purpose (blue from Costco) shop towel and that worked as expected, ok. Then I started following that up with an immediate wipe down using a microfibre towel and that has awesome results. Bought a 36 pack from Costco and use them for many things and this was the latest use I came up with. Kicking myself for not starting sooner.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I suggest you first try rubbing alcohol on a clean microfiber cloth but don't get the alcohol on your dashboard. If the alcohol doesn't do it then use Hope's Perfect Glass. Great stuff. I suggest you stay away from anything that is or might be abrasive. I believe Magic Erasers might be abrasive. Warning: If you use something abrasive it can leave very fine scratches on the glass which you might not notice until you experience wicked headlight glare from oncoming traffic.
One of the reasons interior windshield glass gets dirty is because some dashboard materials deteriorate as they age and emit a gas that will collect on the inside of your windshield especially in hot climates.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I suggest you first try rubbing alcohol on a clean microfiber cloth but don't get the alcohol on your dashboard. If the alcohol doesn't do it then use Hope's Perfect Glass. Great stuff. I suggest you stay away from anything that is or might be abrasive. I believe Magic Erasers might be abrasive. Warning: If you use something abrasive it can leave very fine scratches on the glass which you might not notice until you experience wicked headlight glare from oncoming traffic.
One of the reasons interior windshield glass gets dirty is because some dashboard materials deteriorate as they age and emit a gas that will collect on the inside of your windshield especially in hot climates.
Thanks sir. I am familiar with the magic eraser and like you feel it could be abrasive and a bit of over kill to remove the fog and smudges. I got a couple products I will try this weekend. Being a new vehicle, plus my applications of vinyl dressing all do their share of “gassing”.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw that very technique of using Magic Eraser on YouTube by a Car detailer. I haven't tried it yet. I was pretty shocked to learn that "gassying" occurs from the Vinyls, etc. from the interior products , breathing (?) etc. I do use Windex with paper towels which is an Old Trick. Saves on paper towels. I will try the Microfiber towel too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I finally remembered to check the name of the cleaner that the tint shop recommended: Sprayway "World's Best Glass Cleaner". It did seem to work well, but world's best may be a bit OTT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw that very technique of using Magic Eraser on YouTube by a Car detailer. I haven't tried it yet. I was pretty shocked to learn that "gassying" occurs from the Vinyls, etc. from the interior products , breathing (?) etc. I do use Windex with paper towels which is an Old Trick. Saves on paper towels. I will try the Microfiber towel too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I meant to say that I use Newspapers with Windex or other comparable cleaners without ammonia. It works very well. I am 68 . My wife and I still get newspapers everyday so we have plenty LOL. Note that only the black and white print , no color comic pages. It is an Old Trick. I am looking forward to some Light Snow to see what this Baby can do !!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Buy yourself some Adam's Glass cleaner and their towels - you will never use anything else again.
So far YOU ARE THE WINNER for SURE!!!

Tried the Adams glass cleaner when using their towels and my interior wind shield is smudge and streak free!

I waited a couple days to make sure I saw the wind shield in all lighting conditions and I can not find a thing!

Hats off to you Sir!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
BTW, Rain-X works great on the camera lenses on the MDX.
Going to give this a try. My 360 degree camera gets blurry when wet and hazy from road muck collecting on the lens afterwards. I always forget to clean until I'm driving and need the extra view.

·
Registered
479 Posts
A comment on the Adam's website noted that the Sprayway and Adams window cleaners appeared to be the same. Since Sprayway is available at your local Walmart it might be worth considering. As I said earlier it seems to work well for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A comment on the Adam's website noted that the Sprayway and Adams window cleaners appeared to be the same. Since Sprayway is available at your local Walmart it might be worth considering. As I said earlier it seems to work well for me.
No doubt it worked best for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vinegar and water. Inexpensive and does not streak. Streaking could be caused because of persistent residue on the glass. If need be, add a litter rubbing alcohol to the mix if you want it to evaporate faster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Vinegar and water. Inexpensive and does not streak. Streaking could be caused because of persistent residue on the glass. If need be, add a litter rubbing alcohol to the mix if you want it to evaporate faster.
I also use a vinegar and water mixture. Works great. I use 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts