Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post in detailing but then realized the last action in there was 4 months ago!
I have used Invisible Glass and Windex with both paper and cloth towels and there are always streaks and smudged areas after cleaning.

Does anyone have a better way?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just bought RainX window cleaner. It seems to do a decent job. Still takes a lot of polishing with a clean dry cloth.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I use. /www.amazon.com/Invisible-Glass-99031-Reach-Reach/dp/B01C6PE73C/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=invisible+glass+reach+tool&qid=1575231322&sr=8-3
I use Invisible Glass and it leaves behind streaks and smudges. How are you removing the cleaner after applied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you tried using their cleaning tool. It works very well for me. Sorry my link was not working, so I deleted it, but you can find the tool on Amazon. (Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Tool)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have the same issue of (trying) to clean my inside windshield during the day and seeing all the streaks I missed at night. YouTube vids was a big help with folks using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to cut through the layer of film/grease on the windows. I used a small bowl with Dawn and water mix, Magic eraser, and microfiber cloth. Finished up with Invisible Glass cleaner.

This combo was the only thing that worked to cut through the film I had on the rear hatch and rear hatch side windows.

·
Registered
665 Posts
use a damp cloth towel with a glass cleaner like windex or the spray industrial stuff in a can that foams. Then when you are done do it again with a dry towel. Don't use dryer fabric softeners or softener sheets when you dry the towels before you use them. The sheets put an oil into the cloth so you are always fighting it. Last, when your car sits in the hot sun the gases come out of the vinyl and condense on the cooler glass. You have to clean the window once a week or so to keep the oils from building up on it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The trick, regardless of the glass cleaner or other methods used, is to finish with a microfiber cloth and buff until there is no moisture from the glass cleaner remaining. I spray glass cleaner on the entire window and use paper towels to take the dirt/film off, then buff with the microfiber towel until completely dry. I use Invisible Glass and like it better than other products I've tried, but I can still get acceptable results with Windex or other glass cleaners.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with the microfiber towel as being the real solution. You can even get a stopgap set of great results with a microfiber cloth and no window cleaner at all. I use non-ammonia Windex with a microfiber towel and get long-lasting and streak-free results.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I swear by using crinkled up newspaper. Don't laugh - try it. I use regular Windex and wipe with newspaper. When it rips apart, crumble up a new page and continue. I find this to be the best method of wiping. Old detailers' trick from long ago, and it still works.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I get my news online. Might have to scrape my laptop against my windows with a news site on the browser.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I get my news online. Might have to scrape my laptop against my windows with a news site on the browser.
Those ads in the mail for grocery store sales and other junk mail on general newspaper type paper all work.

But you so funny :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
665 Posts
newspaper works well. I used it in a window cleaning business many years ago, however the newer papers don't work as well as they did way back. The best is to wash an old towel in the washer, then when it is damp after the full spin at the end use it and some glass cleaner - either the foam or windex. Then do it again with a dry towel. Do not use dryer fabric softener sheets because they put an oil into the towel. Paper towels are hit and miss. Same for microfiber. If you throw a microfiber towel in the washer and your wife tosses a fabric softener sheet into the dryer with it, you are back to oil on the towel again. For the NAV and touch screens use ScreenDrx.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Newspaper is better than paper towels, but it's the same as saying a fax machine is better than a carrier pigeon...a true statement but there is much better technology and technique available.

I would strongly encourage everyone to ditch Windex and find a better product. I've tried them all, but my current product is Hope's perfect glass. I've also made my own using denatured alcohol and distilled water. In my opinion, a glass specific microfiber towel is critical and as a poster above said, you need to give it a good polish after you think you're done.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
My theory is the hazing can be from interior giving off fumes from the petro based synthetic materials. Probably more fumes with extra heat from being a greenhouse with all windows up in warmer/hot temps. Any type of interior conditioner use to protect the seats, doors, and dash is also adding to the hazing. Rest of the haze from us or pets. I like to use a front windshield sunshade all year, tint windows, and de-grease the interior with (soap, microfiber, and warm water) a few times a year.

Trying an experiment with my 19 MDX and did Ceramic Pro made for interior surfaces as a sealant. No additional conditioners needed and just a soapy microfiber is all is needed to clean. I didn't do the ceramic coating until the end of summer. So far, so good; but, next summer with +100 degree days will be the real test.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My theory is the hazing can be from interior giving off fumes from the petro based synthetic materials. Probably more fumes with extra heat from being a greenhouse with all windows up in warmer/hot temps. Any type of interior conditioner use to protect the seats, doors, and dash is also adding to the hazing. Rest of the haze from us or pets. I like to use a front windshield sunshade all year, tint windows, and de-grease the interior with (soap, microfiber, and warm water) a few times a year.

Trying an experiment with my 19 MDX and did Ceramic Pro made for interior surfaces as a sealant. No additional conditioners needed and just a soapy microfiber is all is needed to clean. I didn't do the ceramic coating until the end of summer. So far, so good; but, next summer with +100 degree days will be the real test.
Thanks, I am well aware of what causes it. My problem is getting rid of it efficiently.

I know that some of the products I use in the interior will end up on the windows. Just want to be able to remove it.

I had a bad experience with ceramic products and will never use again.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
What issue did you have with ceramic products? I did ceramic coating on my paint, rims, exterior windows, and interior. The stuff works like fresh RainX on the entire MDX.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What issue did you have with ceramic products? I did ceramic coating on my paint, rims, exterior windows, and interior. The stuff works like fresh RainX on the entire MDX.
Had it applied to my Q7 by a certified ceramic tech and the vehicle looked bad. Hazy in direct sunlight.

Took it back and they accused me of doing something to the finish!

My lawyers got it fixed and had a professional fix it. Not fond of Rain-X either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts