Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used 3rd generation MDX Technology. Which year would you recommend?? Obviously, all else being equal, newer is better. What I'm asking is what other issues should I be aware of that differentiate these model years?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Drive the 15 and a 16 to compare their transmissions. It's the thing that segregates a lot of owners between the old 6 speed and the new 9 speed for used ownership. 16 solves a lot more issues off the bat, but either way if the car still has a warranty, there are TSBs to solve a bunch of issues, including infotainment. I would just avoid a 14.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, neoshi! Would you avoid the '14s because of teething pains with the new model design? I have read about some quality control/build issues with the early '14s.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Thanks, neoshi! Would you avoid the '14s because of teething pains with the new model design? I have read about some quality control/build issues with the early '14s.
Yeah that's pretty much it. They also seemed to shaft the 14 owners more with TSB fixes than 15s for some reason (mainly the infotainment at this point).

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My early 2014 (bought July 2013) now has 36,000 miles (after a 6,000 mile coast to coast round trip I just completed) and it's been great and I wouldn't hesitate buying it again.

Neoshi's points are valid but a number of the quality issues carried on from the 2014 to the 2015 and even the 2016 so the bottom line on that regardless of the year, is to check out the particular vehicle closely for door and other panel alignment in particular and other aspects that one should do for any vehicle they purchase (used or new).

The 'shafting' Neoshi referred to is an update Acura did for (most - but not all) 2015 infotainment systems but did not do for 2014 owners even though the system is virtually identical. It's aggravating that Acura would discard its care for their customers so readily when the fix was so simple and not costly (just a software update) but that's what they did. Regardless, the update itself is not really that big of a deal for me. It would have been nice to have those Nav items fixed, as they should have been, but the Nav is something I don't really use every day since I'm mostly going to places I've been many times before - the recently done 6,000 mile road trip being an exception.

Make sure you know what you're buying - including the specific Nav system if you end up getting a Tech or Advanced. As indicated above, there were some minor, but nice, updates done for the 2015 that they didn't do for 2014 having to do with being able to enter addresses more intuitively and make the traffic lines so they're actually reasonably visible, etc. but it's still essentially the same system. Just try out the Nav so you'll know what it is and won't be disappointed later. You can download the Nav user manual (and vehicle owner's manual) from Acura and read through it beforehand.

My recommendation - make sure you have reasonable factory warranty left on the vehicle (and some 2014s still have this), check out the vehicle closely for panel alignment, paint integrity, any abuse it might have had (some fool who posted on here thought it was cool to jump the MDX just prior to turning in the lease - not his own of course, but his father's), and take it on an extensive test drive paying attention to noises, thumps, rattles, tracking as it drives, etc. There have been some TSBs on rear end noise so if you find one with that condition it can likely be fixed under warranty. Make sure you understand the lane departure, etc. tech features as well and how they differ from a base to a Tech to an Advance.

Of course, usually the older the model year the less it'll cost. Even though mine's now over 3 years old, it still feels like a brand new vehicle to me and is a joy to drive due to its great handling, acceleration, comfort, etc.

Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
^He's always been way more level headed than I am about the 14s for sure lol. His has been pretty good to him though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts