Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller on a 2002 Acura MDX that has a tow package.

Has anyone installed a brake controller on a Acura MDX (without factory installed brake controller wiring).

Can you pls share what you learnt/instructions?

As per instructions, I have to connect
1. one of the wires from brake controller to the battery - how did you route the wires from brake controller to battery.

2. connect output of the brake controller to the back of the vehicle (to 7 way connector) - how did you route the wire through the inside of the vehicle through existing channels?

I don't think the 2002 MDX's are wired for a brake controller, but there happens to be already some kind of connector below the dash of the acura 2002 close to where the brake controller is typically connected. Is that connector for a brake controller or something else?

Appreciate any help you can provide - John

·
Registered
738 Posts
JohnX said:
I am installing a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller on a 2002 Acura MDX that has a tow package.

Has anyone installed a brake controller on a Acura MDX (without factory installed brake controller wiring).

Can you pls share what you learnt/instructions?

As per instructions, I have to connect
1. one of the wires from brake controller to the battery - how did you route the wires from brake controller to battery.

2. connect output of the brake controller to the back of the vehicle (to 7 way connector) - how did you route the wire through the inside of the vehicle through existing channels?

I don't think the 2002 MDX's are wired for a brake controller, but there happens to be already some kind of connector below the dash of the acura 2002 close to where the brake controller is typically connected. Is that connector for a brake controller or something else?

Appreciate any help you can provide - John
I don't know anything about brake controllers, except that, Acura did not prewire any underdash connectors for a brake controller. I've studied the schematics for the testing connectors you refer to and I've needed to reset the ABS computer by shorting out pinouts on this connector when I was at the Arctic coast with a malfunction - these connecters lead to fragile electronics, including main CPU and SRS components, please don't attempt any brake connections until you verify what each circuit does.

I recommend you let a trailer shop which routinely installs brake controllers to do the job for you. Safety is the most important factor and if you don't have confidence in this type of work, it best to leave to others. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts