Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ,
Can anyone help me identify w t f is this gunk under my rad cap? I don’t think it’s oil it feels sticky but I’m a novice so I’m just looking for answers. Sorry if pics are crappy phone camera sucks :( . I hope it’s not oil / head gasket . I thought maybe previous owner poured some kind of rad sealant? Had car for less then 6 months so not sure what he’s done . Any help appreciated !

·
Registered
4 Posts
It could be the build up from the coolant. If your car is over heating or you’re always having to add coolant I would flush the system and replace the thermostat and radiator cap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the build up from the coolant. If your car is over heating or you’re always having to add coolant I would flush the system and replace the thermostat and radiator cap.
Okay ,

car doesn’t over heat, but today when I got to work noticed a coolant leak from bottom left of radiator :(

·
Registered
673 Posts
Does look like oil that gets like jelly after a while when it churns with water. If the radiator is leaking, you might check your trans fluid to make sure if it’s oil, it’s not coming from there.

When you change the radiator, you could pressurize the old rad to 15psi and see if you get leaks at the trans oil section/fittings.

I suppose that could also happen from a leaking head gasket. One way to check is to get a test kit that checks for exhaust gas residuals in the coolant. You can get a loaner tool from an auto parts store and the test solution is about $10. The solution is blue and turns yellow if it detects exhaust gas.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does look like oil that gets like jelly after a while when it churns with water. If the radiator is leaking, you might check your trans fluid to make sure if it’s oil, it’s not coming from there.

When you change the radiator, you could pressurize the old rad to 15psi and see if you get leaks at the trans oil section/fittings.

I suppose that could also happen from a leaking head gasket. One way to check is to get a test kit that checks for exhaust gas residuals in the coolant. You can get a loaner tool from an auto parts store and the test solution is about $10. The solution is blue and turns yellow if it detects exhaust gas.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip I’m gonna do that this weekend 🙏🏻

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’d agree with the other person who mentioned transmission fluid. Especially if your radiator has a leak. However. On your left side where the leak is happening is it in the front or middle of your engine bay? Your thermostat is on the left side (drivers side). So if it was in the middle I’d suspect it’s your thermostat or one of your hoses.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’ll change my opinion. I didn’t read your post entirely. My bet is the previous person poured some radiator stop leak into it. Hands down that my bet. People need to stop using that. It destroys heater cores and water pumps.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The biggest problem I can see for certain is the OP's camera. ;-) It would be helpful to get a photo that shows enough detail to result in a meaningful diagnosis. From the blurry photos, it could be oil, tranny fluid or stop-leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The biggest problem I can see for certain is the OP's camera. ;-) It would be helpful to get a photo that shows enough detail to result in a meaningful diagnosis. From the blurry photos, it could be oil, tranny fluid or stop-leak.
Lol 😂 I tried man, anywayssss update my rad was clogged pretty bad, changed it and mystery goo is gone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts