Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew was driving my Acura, and when he tried to park into the garage, he rammed the front bumper into the side of the ibeam of my garage DOOR! When he backed out, there were huge white scracthes, the surface type, streaks on my bumper!!! How do you remove those? I just replaced th ebumper to a custom one 2 weeks ago!! Iwill try to load pictures as soon as my dig camera stops acting up.:3:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Post the pics and we'll give you a definitive answer/alternatives.

Are they actually scratches or is it just paint transfer? Is the white the paint from the garage, or is it primer under the bumper?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worm, it is a paint transfer, since my garage door is white, i have pictures, but how do i compress the jpeg below 100 kbs to post on this site? So how do i get rid of it? I already scheduled an appointment with the local trenton body shop, it will be in a few weeks..... but i would love info on how to treat it.
regards\:1:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I take it that is the last time your nephew gets to drive the X.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If it's paint transfer only, the easiest way is to use claybar. Just go to the local autoparts store and get one (usually in a 2 pack for $15-$20). Don't bother buying the "lube" if it's a seperate purchase; use car wash liquid in a spray bottle (diluted just the same as if you were washing the car).

Easy to fix.

For compressing and/or resizing files, best program I've used is called IRFANVIEW. You can specify the dimensions and the file sizes. Do a Google for it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Huge Scratches

Hi Chromedeuce:
If the paint on your bumper does not cover a large area,several inches by up to six inches is ok,I would suggest going to your local auto paint store and ask for a 16oz container of 3M perfect-it II rubbing compound,PN 39002.This product is clear coat safe and will remove grade 1200 grit scratches and finer.If you are creative and the build up of house paint is fairly thick you should ask for a 3M PN 05526 sponge pad and a sheet of PN 02032 Imperial wetordry paper,grade 1500.What this will do is give you some leveling as you remove the garage paint .Don't press to hard and use with water after five or six passes wipe dry so you can see what you have removed and make sure your not sanding much outside of the garage paint area .Repeat until you have removed most of the paint.Now come back with the Perfect-it II compound (pn39002) and a clean cloth.Then wax with a good wax like 3M Perfect-it paste wax pn39526,and your done.
The clay bar will also work fine!What I like about the above technique is that you are keeping the sanded surface fairly level as you remove the paint!
Ok I work for 3M but I have been selling abrasives,compounds,tapes and adhesives for 32 years so I have some knowledge.
If you have questions call me and I'll walk you thru it!615-504-5257.
Tom :4: :4:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Ouch, I did the same thing today, but it's gargage door paint on my fender flares. . . Worm, I sure hope the claybar works. I'm going out to buy it now.

I'm very upset right now. . . will keep you posted.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Wow!

Worm,

Great! The claybar worked excellently and very easily (only 5 minutes).

Next problem is that there are scratches under the paint on the fender flair. Now what do I do or use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Wow!

laborlitigator said:
Worm,

Great! The claybar worked excellently and very easily (only 5 minutes).

Next problem is that there are scratches under the paint on the fender flair. Now what do I do or use?

Thanks.
Not sure what u mean by "scratches under the paint". How can scratches be "under" it?

Do you mean the scratches have gone THROUGH the painted flare, and now you see unpainted plastic? And you can feel the scratches w/your fingernail?

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Worm,

Sorry, there are scratches on the surface of the flare. The underneath is not exposed, but the scratches are visible. What should I do now?

I'll try to get a pic of it today.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
3M scratch n swirl remover or Meguiar's Scratch X. Yep, another trip to the auto parts store...Best to do with a random orbital but can be done by hand.

Search for "dealer installed swirls" for some threads w/tips and techniques.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Worm,

I saw Meguirs at the auto shop. . . thanks again bro!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all, thank you Worm and TOmmy very much for your input and everyone else. I bought the claybar and some 3m perfect paste wax and my bumper is good as new, even better, since it is nice and shiny. I really have to wash my x more often. It took much restraint not to disown my nephew, you would think teen would have more sense in driving vehicles as large as... well as an Acura MDX. He isn't getting any car related product as long as I am still angry, a few more days at least:rolleyes: NOw all i have to do is visit the local body shop and get a proffessional quality retouch on some of the minor paint chips that were under the paint transfer. Overall though, doing it myself thanks to y'alls help make me feel more like the man that i am. :D
On a totally seperate notice, is there any particular reason why sometimes this forum does not post my replies? it has happened twice to me, once in this thread and another in a HID lighting thread, i submiteed my reply but when i checked hte next day for resposnes, my post wasnt up... Any input would be highly appreicated.

_________
Burning the carbs, and the carborater!!!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts