Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in MA. and just purchased an MDX down in Florida. I'm running into some problems that maybe someone with experience can resolve. The process in FL. is to issue a temp. tag and all I need to provide is an insurance Ryder and my license. When I go back to MA, I go to the DMV with the MSO (manufactures certificate of ownership) RMV1 form that is stamped from my insurance company and the cash for Title fee, registration fee and sales tax. The problem is, the dealership does not want to give me the MSO. It's policy rather than law. They want to mail the MSO to the DMV in MA but the DMV in MA does not accept MSO's. They do not want to be held responsible in case it gets lost etc etc... The dealership seems to be cautious in that if I have the MSO, I can just resell the vehicle, in other words grand theft? They are dumb as rocks down there and they don't have a clue as how to resolve this. I'm ready to walk away from the deal. Any ideas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm replying to my own post. I spoke with another person from the dealership. their concern is that if the car is not titled, I could just transfer the MSO over to another dealership so they could sell it. Apparently it is happening. Dealers are purchasing them up where available and then re-selling them over MSRP. What a joke. I just want the vehicle for myself. If they can't come up with a solution by tomorrow, I'm backing out of the deal and going somewhere else. I know of three other dealerships down south that have availability.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't have any experience with this, but if the salesman of the dealership can't come up with a solution that satisfies you, he really isn't interested in the sale and you should go somewhere else. He should be motivated by a sales commission.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nikonf & Lester,
One thing I can assure you of, the salesperson wants it to happen, we just don't have control over company policy. As far as the MSO goes we never give them to the customer either. We always send it to your local licensing agency where you live. I've never heard of a State or local license agency not accepting the MSO because they were afraid of losing it. I've lost a few deals over the years because the customer wanted to take the MSO to the agency themselves, I've tried everything in my power to get them to make an exception but this is one they won't budge on.
I wish you luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't back out yet

Hey Nikonf:

I'm here in Boston as well and purchased my X out of Jackson, MS. Instead of getting caught up in the paperwork shuffle, I simply had the dealership in MS FED EX all the paperwork directly to my insurance agent. The insurance agent then had a "runner" go to the DMV for me. Yes it cost me a little extra ( I forget how much registration is, but I wrote a check for $95). I picked up my plates the next day........No sweat!

Check it out with your agent, every car I ever purchased, I had the agent do all of the running around.

If your ever in the Metrowest area and see a Black X, that be me. I haven't seen too many Black X's out here yet.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply pacman. I asked them yesterday if they would do that and they were still reluctant to send the MSO to the insurance company. I don't get it. I don't know what the big deal is. If it's not resolved by 12:00 today, the deal is off. They were supposed to fedex everything overnight for my wife to sign and I already have a plane ticket to Florida for Friday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dilema

Hey nikonf, I guess if they are not willing to send the MSO to a MA licensed insurance agent, I guess they are not willing to sell you a vehicle.......That sucks!

I know you don't need more frustration, but what's the difference if they sent the MSO to the DMV, you register the vehicle in the morning and then sell that afternoon? All it really constitutes for is transfer of title.

Sorry about the ramble, I know you probably explained this already.

Maybe you can send them to the url that explains the process:

http://www.state.ma.us/rmv/regs/index.htm

Just in case, I pasted the info below. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting too much text.

Good Luck.........

To Register and Title Vehicles Purchased from an Out-of-State Dealer:
You must go to a licensed Massachusetts insurance agent to obtain an active insurance policy and have the agent complete, stamp and sign an Application for Registration and Title (RMV-1).
If there is a lien against the vehicle, please make sure the lienholder information is complete and accurate.

After verifying all information, sign the RMV-1 application.
Along with the completed RMV-1 application, you must submit one of the following documents:

A Certificate of Origin (new vehicles only), or
The previous owner's title, if a titled vehicle (model year 1980 and newer), or
The bill of sale and proof of last Registration, if a non-titled vehicle.

If presenting the Certificate of Origin or the previous owner's title, be sure the date sold, the odometer reading and the purchase price have been completed on the back. The dealer or the previous owner(s) and you must sign the back of either of these forms.

Take the completed RMV-1 application and supporting documents to the nearest full service RMV center.
If the dealer is not registered with the Department of Revenue, the sales tax will be calculated at 5% of the purchase price or the National Automotive Dealer Association (NADA) trade-in value, whichever is higher.

After completing the transaction, you will receive a registration certificate, new plates and a year of expiration decal for the rear plate. The title will be processed and mailed in approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks. If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed directly to your lienholder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Resolved!!! Thanks for the input from all. After two days of arguing on the phone they finally figured it out and realized that in MA. they could send it to the insurance agency. RGWomack, You obviously have not been to MA. The RMV DOES NOT accept MSO's directly from a dealership and the loss IS one of the concerns. It's a catch22, they will not accept a MSO without a RMV1 form that is stamped from the insurance agency as well as title fee, registration fee and 5% sales tax. So how can I register the vehicle without the MSO in hand even though I supplied everything else. You need to trust a licensed insurer. So I pick my new Silver MDX up Friday in Florida and will take my time driving it back to Boston over the weekend. Now I get to take over my wife's CL-S. I still love this car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good Job nikonf

Glad to hear it worked out.

It should be an awesome ride back to Beantown in you new X!!

Have a safe trip and watch out for that traffic around the beltway in D.C.

pacman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
mikedan
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing