Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 AWD Tech and Ent
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! A couple of clear coat droplets landed on the headlights. How do I clean it! My wife’s car is prestine as she loves it. Yikes!

Thanks in advance and for the support!

·
Registered
818 Posts
First off it's often helpful to include the details of your MDX in your signature. How to remedy something like this could vary on 2020 vs a 2007.

That's a tough one. I assume you mean clear touch up paint? Any chance the headlights were a little dirty or have a road film on them to keep the paint from sticking well? The challenge is any solvent capable of softening/removing the paint would have an adverse affect on the headlights? I might start with a razor blade to see if I can peel it off. I assume you didn't try to wipe it off immediately? Even if you smeared it a thin film would be easier to remove than a thick droplet. With a little more info I might have some other suggestions.

Reactions: Noviogonz

·
Registered
2017 AWD Tech and Ent
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes it was the clear coat that came with the touchup paint. I ended up removing it with a light dab of Klean Strip Green - Safer Paint Thinner....

After the initial paint drop (and panic), I wiped it off immediately with a clean towel and was able to thin it down. But, it did smear. I tried my nails right after figuring it was less abrasive (and softer) but it hardened quick. I figured time was important so I tried rubbing alcohol applying on a small spot, being careful of potential harm on the plastic but did nothing. So I skimmed around my garage shelf and found a Klean Strip Green - Safer Paint Thinner that said it was safe in plastics. I used very little and immediately wiped the thinner off with the paint off as well. Am hoping there is no long term damage. With me needing to drive the car out today in peak sunlight, I did not want to leave the paint to harden and adhere to the plastic headlight cover. So far, my wife does not notice anything.....

I have a 2017 Tech & Ent and should have mentioned it. My profile is updated with it. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts