Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is '13 MDX.

I am not sure, but I may have dropped the aluminum cover of the Acura brake fluid bottle into the fluid reservoir while changing the brake fluid.

I did not realize the seals of Acura brake fluid 12 oz bottles have two layers, bottom being plastic seal, with another layer of aluminum covering it. I simply pierced a hole using a screw driver and dumped the fluid into the reservoir. When I am done, I noticed the aluminum cover is missing!!! I immediately looked inside the reservoir but did not find it near the opening. So I am not really sure if it indeed fell into the reservoir.

I took a photo with a torch tonight, which may reveal that the aluminum cover is inside the reservoir. Please see the attached photos.

Can anyone help me answering the following questions:

1. Is the shadow / dark dot (near the center of the reservoir) revealed on the photos normal? Or does it suggest foreign object in the reservoir?

2. If indeed the aluminum cover fell into the reservoir, is there any chance that it will move into the master cylinder? Is it safe to drive as it is?
What are my options?

Thanks a lot!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It's the braking system... I would remove any foreign objects. You don't want anything to happen at the wrong time with safety systems.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I know hindsight is 20/20 but I always put the screen filter back on before I pour for that reason. A few times in my life the aluminum seal on the oil bottles have fallen into the bottle even when I am being careful. Sometimes the wind blows just right.

When that happens I use a screened strainer over the funnel to catch it.

I’d drain with a turkey baster and fish it out. You don’t need it to act as a seal and clog a line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.