Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have already done an audio upgrade and i am about ready to to the video. ( as soon as i find an rgb1 or figure out how to convert the gex7000) anyhow, my questions are: i am wanting to change the head unit and use the pioneer dvh p7000(dvd, cd player). if i do this, will i lose the navi voice? second, will this head unit be fine to use as my source for video(dvd) instead of a stand alone dvd player? the reason i ask is because i am thinking about going ahead and having this head unit installed while i figure out the best way for me to convert the navi to video. any input will be much appreciated. thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Here's a thread on acura-tl discussing that exact issue:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40389&highlight=navi+voice

As a matter of fact if you do a search on the audio & electronics forum there, it has a wealth of info, since they've been around much longer than this forum.

If the headunit has DVD playback capability, there is no reason why you can't use it as your video source.

There's a thread on clublexus.com where someone was able to do the gex7000 conversion without the extra monitor. You can try doing a search there...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
navi

mdxtrous, first i want to thank you for your reply. i am very close to doing the conversion, but i want to get it right the first time, so i doing all the research that i can. i have a couple of ?'s for you. one of the main reasons that i wanted to change the head unit is so that i would not have to use an rf modulator and so that the sound from the video source would sound better. problem is that it seems complicated to keep the navi voice with an aftermarket unit, so i might stick to the stock and wanted your opinion on how bad the quality of the sound is when watching a movie or tv.
second, i am having a hard time decidind between an overhead screen or headrest monitors, and was wondering what made you decide on the overhead screen. would you do it agian? finally, is the tv tuner worth it? how is the general reception now that you've had it for a while? i live in lex, ky. which is a much smaller market and was wondering if it would still be useful to me. your replies would be much appreciated. thanks agian:)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: navi

slash007 said:
mdxtrous, first i want to thank you for your reply. i am very close to doing the conversion, but i want to get it right the first time, so i doing all the research that i can. i have a couple of ?'s for you. one of the main reasons that i wanted to change the head unit is so that i would not have to use an rf modulator and so that the sound from the video source would sound better. problem is that it seems complicated to keep the navi voice with an aftermarket unit, so i might stick to the stock and wanted your opinion on how bad the quality of the sound is when watching a movie or tv.
second, i am having a hard time decidind between an overhead screen or headrest monitors, and was wondering what made you decide on the overhead screen. would you do it agian? finally, is the tv tuner worth it? how is the general reception now that you've had it for a while? i live in lex, ky. which is a much smaller market and was wondering if it would still be useful to me. your replies would be much appreciated. thanks agian:)
slash007,
The RF modulator is good for everything except when playing DVDs. For some reason, the output volume for DVD discs are extremely low. I have no problems even for VCDs (from the same player). On highways, it's hard to hear clearly. However, my installer is going to swap out the RF modulator probably sometime next week. What he is going to do instead is utilize the external CD-changer input in the headunit. He will use the bus cable generally used for the external CD-changer accessory and connect one side to the audio from the video system, and then the other end to the CD-changer. In essence, he is going to trick the system into thinking there is an external CD-changer. The sound is supposed to be excellent. He's done it with other cars before, just not the MDX. I had to find a schematic of the cable plug for him to be able to do it. I can send that to you and let you know how it goes. In theory, pressing the CD button twice will switch to video sound using that setup. The installer said the DVD volume problem will go away, and he says the results should blow me away.

Another alternative, not to swap out the headunit is to use a switch Sony makes. It's the Sony XA39II. It can be found here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wC4ba5uumNm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158XA39II&s=0 , although I think it's out of stock now. It will also give you very good sound. I think some have done the install on acura-tl.com .

The decision to go with the overhead unit was due to security and economic reasons. The headrest monitors are more visible, and being in NYC it's not the best idea. It would draw too much attention. With the flip-down, when folded, it's much less conspicuous. It's also a bit cheaper. The 7 inch I got cost 280 shipped, whereas I would be looking at double that for the screens and then the installation costs. It's DIYable, and one guy on acura-tl.com also did it himself, I think he's Veilstype or something like that. But it wasn't for me. Security wise it may not be an issue for you living where you are, and the headrest screens are definitely much cooler!! But check out www.five-stars.com, www.savinglots.com, www.millionbuy.com and www.theautoaccessories.com for good prices on the equipment.

The TV Tuner has ok reception. When the car is moving it's not as good. The reception is best when I'm in the city. I can get most of the local channels, some better than others. When I drive to my brother's place about 30 miles away from the city it's not very good at all. So it's hard for me to judge where you are. Just make sure that if you get one, get one with diversity antennae. It's supposed to be much better. The technology works so that the tuner goes through the 4 antennae channels and always finds the best signal. The other reason I got the tuner, was it has 3 inputs, so that I could allocate one for the DVD, one for a the backup camera (always on option), and the third for the A/V inputs I put in the center console. This can be used for PS2 or camcorder, or a baby camera in the future. I can just switch between TV, Input 1, Input 2, Input 3 using the tuner remote.

Hope all of this helps.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
navi conversion

mdxtrous, thanks again for a very thorough reply. i am now sold on the tuner and am probably going to go with the headrest monitors, but i am still up in the air in regards to the head unit. i am going to talk to my installer and see what he can do in regards to the navi voice. i would appreciate it if you could send me the schematics that you sent ron and if you would keep me updated as to how yours works out. i am going to wait and see how you like yours after having the sound mod done. if it works as well as ron expects, i'll be probably follow the same route. thanks agian.

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts