Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed new parking brake shoes and replaced all the springs and adjuster. New rotors will not fit. I get one side over but the other hangs up. I need help suggestions. I am out of work and cannot afford a big bill here. The brakes were history on all four corners and the left rear caliper was frozen. Everything has gone mostly smoothly except this.

The adjuster is backed all the way in. Everything looks like it did before but new. There has to be some trick to this or I am missing something. These are Raybestos shoes and Raybestos Advanced Tech rotors.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are these carryover rotors or new?

If carryover, there may be a rust ridge the open end that didn't contact the older shoes. The rust buildup would be a smaller diameter then the new shoes so it would have to be removed first.

If new rotors then if you bought aftermarket shoes its possible the supplier provided too thick linings on the shoes. I can't tell from the pics and haven't had to do the DIH parking brake on this vehicle, but with some DIH parking brakes the shoes can move up and down, not anchored up top. In those cases a little up or down move to either shoe can get the rotor over the shoe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raybestos Advanced Tech Rotors and Raybestos shoes. Really ticking me off about to roll the ***** out of the garage and use it for target practice. I may just put the roasted shoes back and call it a day. Have lived without a functioning parking brake for a while can continue to do so. I had to replace the rotor as the caliper pin froze and the resulting pad wear tore up the rotor. Just that I spent money I didn't need to spend and those springs were not that fun to replace either, especially the bottom one just behind and above the adjuster.

Yes the parking brake is released. I am going to check the pedal adjuster to make sure there is no tention. Shouldn't make a difference as the shoe adjuster on the drum is fully collapsed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My two cents. Might be an optical illusion from the picture but compared to the back plate, the new shoes definitely don't looked centered to the wheel axis and look much farther out (making a bigger diameter) compared to the original. If you overlay the old and new shoes, are they exactly the same? How about when comparing old and new adjusters? Maybe the new shoes and/or your adjusters are longer?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Make sure that both shoes are properly seated on the top pin (hard to compare, since the photo of the old stuff doesn't show that area). Also, make sure you're not just dealing with a sticky / rusty parking brake cable (that's not retracting fully). I've seen those (on other, older vehicles) get pretty sticky.

I haven't had to do anything to my rear brakes, but am amazed that the MDX brakes look almost identical to those on my 40 year old motorhome! Smaller, of course! ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally gave up. I put the old shoes back on and the old adjuster and it still wouldn't clear the rotor. The passenger side I never touched the parking brake components the rotor cleared no problem. I pulled everything out of driver side drum and mounted the rotor. So no parking brake still but I will probably get someone else to do it later. I hate drum brakes since my 58 Ford Fairlane should have known better than to try it this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.