Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a brand new 202 MDX on Saturday. Sunday morning I was giving it a solid test drive on the freeway as there was little traffic. When I get up to 80mph and beyond I'm hearing a very loud wind-whistle that I think is coming from the sun roof (during test drive on Saturday prior to purchase traffic was too congested near the dealership to get it up to higher speeds so didn't hear the noise then). Has anyone experienced this on this model run (2014 to present)? I'm taking it back to the dealer today to check it out but have a sinking feeling they're going to tell me "that's the way it is" which will be unacceptable. Just trying to get ammo from you all to see if this is something everyone (or many) are experiencing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I figured it should be quiet at all speeds and I can reproduce it just by going 80mph+. If they give me the run-around I'll test drive another right then & there to see if it's there on another vehicle, same model.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
No noise on my 19 MDX at hwy speeds of +80 mph. The only issue I've had was an air leak from the front passenger window that sounded like a "crackling" sound at hwy speeds. Mostly hear it on the open road. Hard to duplicate with the Acura tech with slower in-town hwy speeds, crowded roads, and drafting behind other vehicles. They just greased the window channel and told me to come back if that didn't work (didn't work at all).

Do you have the sun roof air defector? Have you popped the sun roof completely open to see if anything is out of place or the gasket is loose in any area? Any change in sound with the sun roof cover open compared to closed? My 11 MDX had a sunroof whistle; but, I didn't hear it with the roof cover closed. Depending on the dealership, they might be very lazy and give up if they can't duplicate the noise with a short test drive.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Don’t know about mine. Never been above 80. Maybe if I take another trip to the west coast,I’ll check it out.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
MDX (my 2019 Hybrid) rides too smooth, it was quiet easy to go over 75 mph without noticing speeding (when no car around). While driving 75/80+ mph, I haven't notice any louder wind noise.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My 2020 has not done 80+ often but the few times it did, I did not hear it whistle.

Not sure if Honda designs the bodies to be quiet beyond 80+, it takes a lot of engineering to keep them quiet at less than 80.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it to the dealer and the service manager went for a ride. He could hear it and gave me a loaner while they check it out. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Duplicating the sound in front of the service manager is about 90% of getting it fixed! Let us know what the fix was so we can watch out for it on our MDXs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Duplicating the sound in front of the service manager is about 90% of getting it fixed! Let us know what the fix was so we can watch out for it on our MDXs.
I'll post when I have an update/ it's resolved and let you all know for sure.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I had a few + 19 RDX loaners and a lot or road noise from the rear area, the precision cockpit is information overload when you first sit down, and the single screen can get a little crowded with info compared to the dual MDX screens. I really did love the RDX's HUD, sound system, pano sunroof, and more seat/headrest adjustments.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I have a 2014 AWD w/Tech package... Ever since new, I have noticed a 'whine' at constant highway speed- starting at 73 mph. For me it's not wind noise- it when I have light pressure on the gas pedal- going at constant speed. Lift my foot off the gas, and the whine goes away. Never had it diagnosed (dealer said they couldn't hear it)… Not sure if it's something with the direct injection, transmission or whatever. In diagnosing your issue try different things- sunroof closed, open partly open. Do you have a roof rack? try cracking the windows open. Have someone sit in the back seat and see if they agree it's coming from the sunroof.

I just purchased a brand new 202 MDX on Saturday. Sunday morning I was giving it a solid test drive on the freeway as there was little traffic. When I get up to 80mph and beyond I'm hearing a very loud wind-whistle that I think is coming from the sun roof (during test drive on Saturday prior to purchase traffic was too congested near the dealership to get it up to higher speeds so didn't hear the noise then). Has anyone experienced this on this model run (2014 to present)? I'm taking it back to the dealer today to check it out but have a sinking feeling they're going to tell me "that's the way it is" which will be unacceptable. Just trying to get ammo from you all to see if this is something everyone (or many) are experiencing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took it to the dealer and the service manager went for a ride. He could hear it and gave me a loaner while they check it out. Thanks for the replies!
Please let us know bc my 17 MDX has been making a similar noise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 MDX with less than 3,000 miles. I don't have a wind noise but I have irritating noise on the driver's side that comes and goes that sounds like something is lose in the wheel well or front end

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my 2020 red MDX SWD since November and it is very quiet a lot quieter than my 2009 MDX was. REALLY love it...
Like the auto heated seats....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please let us know bc my 17 MDX has been making a similar noise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The dealership called yesterday morning and said they fixed the wind leak in the moon roof and to come pick up. I picked it up after work which was during rush hour (in Phoenix...not LA but sucks regardless). Once I got out to where I could get it up to speed the noise that was whistling thru the moon roof at 80MPH was now coming in at 70-75MPH then full blast at 80MPH. So...not fixed. I turned around and took it back. Was able to get there before they closed and took the service manager for a ride. He heard it. Instead of adjusting things they're going to replace the entire moon roof and assembly. He was very apologetic and such. I didn't get peeved...just want it fixed. I'm trying to stick with the "S#!t happens" attitude but if this becomes a gremlin that will change. The parts are on order and should have the replacement done Tues/Wed next week. I'll post an update.
As for your issue - the best way to find out if it's the wind leak is to tape off yor moon roof and see if the noise comes thru still. Use painters tape so you don't jack up your paint. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unfortunately they all do that. I have a 2014 MDX TECH SPORT and reproduced the crackling sound from all the windows over 70mph. Tech replaced both front door/window gaskets to no avail. Took it back and they lubed them to no avail. After that they just said that’s all they could do. It’s a design flaw in the gaskets (fractionally too small). It’s worse in the winter when colder temps shrink all materials at different rates. I’ve driven every year MDX as loaners multiple times except a 2020, and excepting the hybrid (only drove for 10 minutes on a warm day) each one had the high speed air leak/crackle. I’ve learned to live with it and keep a supply of business cards in the vehicle to shove between the window and gasket at about ear height - solves the problem perfectly. That’s if you think shoving scrap paper into leaking space is “perfect”, but it does eliminate the noise every time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine pops and ticks at highway speeds from the driver side window area at high speed. I did my own treatment with the same Shen-Etsu silicone grease that Honda dealers use for this sort of thing and it did help a bit. Unfortunately this is par for the course with this vehicle and one of the MANY quality problems with my ‘19.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts