Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just joined the forum. I recently purchased a 2104 AWD MDX with 51K miles from a private party. MDX is in pretty good shape except I noticed few issues after owning it for couple of weeks.
1. Occasional grinding or cranking noise with mild vibration(mostly felt by the driver) while driving in city at normal speeds, I don't think I noticed any such issue while driving at highway speeds.
2. Steering wheel vibrations while braking at 70+mph speeds(pads are 75% worn out), suspecting warped rotors
3. Similar vibrations while trying to accelerate(floor the pedal)at 75+mph
4. Passenger side drive shaft inner boot is greasy

Not sure if any of the above are covered by powertrain warranty. Please reply if you have any experience with the issues I listed above and any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Hi and Welcome!!

1.- You should check your brakes, It could be an issue with the brake pad hardware or caliper.
2.- This is warped brake rotors (Pretty common on Acuras & Hondas).
3.- Tire balancing?
4.- CV Boot is probably shifting allowing grease to leak out.

CV Boot might be covered under powertrain warranty..
The other stuff I sincerely do not know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For #1 issue, it doesn't look like it is coming from brakes. The vibration and noise is more like a motor kicking in intermittently and lasts for about 2 seconds. Only noticed it while driving at low speeds.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Vibration under acceleration could be shudder from the torque converter. If it were mine, I would do a "3x3" ATF change. ( 3 changes, refilling with 3 quarts after each, driving a few miles in between changes, adjust final level after 3rd change ). Honda doesn't recommend power flushing. There is a known issue with premature ATF degradation.

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Did some more driving and noticed the below...

The grinding noise with mild vibration at city speeds does not look like coming from any powertrain items. To reproduce the issue, I need to gain steady speeds around 40 mph and keep the rpm around 1500, the rattle/mild vibration most likely returns.

I am leaning more to some loose underbody panels or some other panels near driver's side. My Honda accord did the same and it turned out to be rusted Cat shields.

If anyone dealt with similar issue with 2014 MDX and got it fixed, please respond.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've had lots of rusted cat shields on older Honda/Acura vehicles, but it's pretty early for that on a 2014.

There was a TSB for the clips that hold the plastic cover above the radiator. Those could get loose and cause a mystery buzz. Acura released a revised version of the clips, and I replaced those on our 2014. It takes 10 of the kits ( pin and receptacle ) at a few bucks a pop.

View attachment B14-003.pdf

Electric engine fans cycle on and off, so that could be the "motor" sound you're hearing. If the clips are loose, it will make that a lot more obvious.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couple of issues resolved

I took my MDX to the dealer to check on oil around the axle boot. Dealer says its oil residue from past oil changes.
Initially I didn't believe but when I wend underneath the car I could see oil filter is right next to the shat inner boot.

Also, I jacked up the car and looked for possible loose plates underneath. Almost immediately I thought the possible culprit could be the plate under tranny drain bolt. I took it out, cleaned it and put it back with 4 rubber washers(used drain hose washers). And took it for ad rive, no more rattle around 1500 rams. Problem solved.

My next tasks on the car are wheel alignment (brought new tire so) and brake job. Do you think at 50k miles does it make sense to resurface or replace the rotors?
If I were to replace rotors, I could take it to a local mechanic who can do at $70per axle. Looks like resurfacing with pads at dealer costs about $300 per axle. Which option is better?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts