Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New X owner here. Lifetime Chevy PU owner that wanted something smaller and more manageable for city driving. I looked at the Chevy Trail Blazer and was ready to buy until they gave me the trade numbers on my 2000 Silverado. What a bunch of asses. I went to McGrath Acura in Westmont Illinois (just west of Chicago) and looked at the X. I had experience with McGrath as my wife’s car (Lexus LS430) was purchased at their Lexus store. They offered $1500 more on my Chevy truck than the Chevy dealer. I bought the X, regular with the NAV system. Since then I've added a spoiler, roof rack, cargo cover, and cargo area liner. I'm as happy as a pig in **** with the X. I'm also happy to find this forum. What a wealth of information.

Now the reason I posted this under Problems:

On a lot of mornings when I get into the X and start it I get a very bad smell in the cabin, almost like a spoiled smell. It seems to be more prevalent on days following a hot day when I have had my air running. After a while running the air it goes away. Anyone have the same experience or have any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have not experienced that with my MDX, but I did own a Volvo that would get a musty smell if I went several days/weeks without using the AC. At the time, dealer told me it was from the condensation from the AC. Never was able to solve the problem other than to always make sure I ran the AC periodically, even with the heat in winter.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you are getting condensation pooling somewhere in the vent system. A drain hole is probably plugged. Should be a minor problem, but *can* be a real bear to get at to fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

Great sight, I just pick up my MDX last week and its been great. My one grip is I also get a smell. Smells almost like spolied milk. Let me know if anyone finds out anything.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Don't wait...

Bad smells mean either a leak, or a plugged A/C condensate drain -- neither of which should go unfixed.

Mold can get outa hand in the A/C system and cause you to get sick! It can also (in extreme cases) get under the carpet & in the seats and make the vehicle unsellable.

Leaks are the say way -- whether leaking fluids or leaking rain water it will get worse over time & ruin the vehicle.

Call the dealer and DO NOT let 'em brush you off with a spritz of Lysol -- in fact I would be sure that the service writer puts a note on your ticket to the effect of "Customer is allergic to many air fresheners DO NOT SPRAY IN VEHICLE OR A/C DUCT SYSTEM" so that they HAVE to find the source & fix it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts