Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We are in the market for a MDX and if you are in the Charlotte area, where did you purchased your MDX. The only Acura dealer close to us is Hendrick Acura, I don't know how they are yet, but would like to have a few places to shop around at before buying. If you have any dealings with Hendrick or another Acura dealership in NC, I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in the Raleigh area, and had a hard time finding a decent used one. Hendrick has a ton of lots all over the place, so they can usually find what you want. But they are also very overpriced and do not typically deal on anything, especially if they bring it in from another lot. If it is on the lot you are at, they may be willing to drop the price a little bit, but you will pay full internet price on anything they have to transport in.

Other people may have had better luck, but I have been to two of their dealerships and had the same result both times...no deal. That being said, they are polite, clean and have inventory...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply about Hendrick - its probably how they can run four cars in NASCAR ;-) !!

We would be buying new and that's the only dealership in the area - kind of tough to get a 'good' deal if you are the only player in town......

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
There are other dealers in NC. A new car is a sufficiently large purchase that it’s worth driving a couple hours for the right deal. I bought from Performance Acura in Chapel Hill. They’re owned by Hendricks, though. They had what I wanted in stock and I was happy with the deal. There is also Leith Acura in Cary. Crown Acura in Greensboro. Flow Acura in Winston-Salem. Fayetteville Acura in Fayettenam.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are other dealers in NC. A new car is a sufficiently large purchase that it’s worth driving a couple hours for the right deal. I bought from Performance Acura in Chapel Hill. They’re owned by Hendricks, though. They had what I wanted in stock and I was happy with the deal. There is also Leith Acura in Cary. Crown Acura in Greensboro. Flow Acura in Winston-Salem. Fayetteville Acura in Fayettenam.
Thanks for the response - I noticed you were from NC and I tried to PM you about where you purchased yours from, but because of my low post count, I was not able too. How was your experience at Performance Acura ?

I have no issues driving to the dealership that has the car, what I am really looking for is a smooth easy process. I hate the 4 hours, back and forth process it takes to buy a new car - super frustrating...always trying to sell you something - protection this - paint protection that.........

The other thing that really bothers me, are car dealerships that have 'extras' already tacked on to the window stickers - I noticed this when I went to Hendrick when they were not open.....they already had 99.00 dollars extra for Nitrogen in the tires..... 350 for tinted windows and something else that I cant remember.....those type of dealerships turn me right off...... I know that they are only out to pressure you into extras.....I get why they do it .......but I am not that type of buyer.....I need to start my own dealership.........

Sorry for the rant - thanks for any feedback you can provide.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks for the response - I noticed you were from NC and I tried to PM you about where you purchased yours from, but because of my low post count, I was not able too. How was your experience at Performance Acura ?
The sales experience was mostly positive. There was an incident where the sales person really pissed me off and I stormed out of there. I ended up calling the manager and gave him an earful. The manager actually listened -- which is something I find to be increasingly rare, these days. Ultimately I agreed to come back and give them another shot. The sales person was on their best behavior from that point on. Once we settled on a stock number, negotiation was directly with the sales manager -- which I prefer. I dislike when a sales person has to be the go-between. Overall I'd rate the experience to be above-average. I've had better, but I've definitely had worse.

I have no issues driving to the dealership that has the car, what I am really looking for is a smooth easy process. I hate the 4 hours, back and forth process it takes to buy a new car - super frustrating...always trying to sell you something - protection this - paint protection that.........
I recommend checking their inventory, online, and then calling to confirm that it's actually on the lot and not spoken for. As for the back-end add-ons, "just say no". Simple.

The other thing that really bothers me, are car dealerships that have 'extras' already tacked on to the window stickers - I noticed this when I went to Hendrick when they were not open.....they already had 99.00 dollars extra for Nitrogen in the tires..... 350 for tinted windows and something else that I cant remember.....those type of dealerships turn me right off...... I know that they are only out to pressure you into extras.....I get why they do it .......but I am not that type of buyer.....I need to start my own dealership.........
Lol.

The MDX that I bought had the following "extras" listed on the side of the monroney:
  • Window Tint $399
  • Wheel Locks $149
  • Door Edge Guards $99
  • Nitrogen in Tires $149

What I have found to be successful, when negotiating, is to ignore the extras. Make your offer for the car without regard to the extras... They're freebies, imo. Do your research, up-front, and then give the dealer a single "out-the-door" price you're willing to pay.

If the sales manager keeps going back to the "extras" or b.s. "documentation fees" then just shrug and say "look, I don't care how you dice it up and what goes where... I just need it all to add up to $xyz."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.