Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this on the knowledge base. I noticed that when my climate control system is in AUTO mode, the fan speed never drops down to the lowest speed. It stays at something intermediate, resulting in excessive cabin noise from the fan. Temperature seems OK, but the fan is running excessively. It is as though it doesn't even know it has a low speed. Anyone else noticed this. My MDX is a 2001 and has 10,000 miles on it. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I also have a 2001 & I haven't noticed it. Are you in "auto" or "full auto"?
"Full auto" will run the fan at a higher speed until the temp is obtained in the cabin. "Auto" should let you set th efan all the way down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've noticed this in FULL AUTO, as I don't seem to use the AUTO mode much. But in FULL AUTO the fan continues to blow in at intermediate speed even after cabin set temp is reached. I wanted to find out if this is a feature of all MDX air handling systems or whether mine is defective. My dealer can't seem to give me an answer. I've asked that it be checked on several occasions while the car was in for maintainence, but it is still the same. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else that owns an MDX that I could "test drive." If I could find out for certain that the fan speed is supposed to eventually reach the lowest setting, I will pursue the issue more aggressively with my dealer.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I will check it whenI go out tonight - but I am pretty sure the fan will slow down once temp is reached in full auto. I will post my findings late tonight or tomorrow.

In the meantime - try using auto mode & see if you can set the fan to it's lowest setting (you know you have to keep pushing thru the highest settings to get back to the lowest)

If you can't set it at the lowest fan speed in "auto" - then it sound slike you have a problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It should definitely slow down. Mine stays on high initially, but will slow down and stay down once the set temp is reached.

BTW - Mine is also an '01 with 10K miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as you mentioned, the fan speed can be controlled in AUTO mode, but if I have to reduce the fan speed manually to get a comfortable, quiet cabin, what good is FULL AUTO mode? It would not seem to serve much of a purpose if it is unable to use the lowest fan speed.

I have also noticed something else regarding the air handling system. The rear passenger vents blow hotter air than the front. As a matter of fact, the right rear vent blows much hotter air than the left rear. Even when the air conditioner is running the right rear vent is much warmer than the left. I have verified this with a digital thermometer. I informed my dealer about this, but do not receive a satisfactory reply (15-20 degree difference). My suspicion is that the ducts supplying the rear vents are not insulted well they are picking up heat from the drive train. With the right much more affected than the left. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine will slow down also in FULL AUTO, but it never reaches the lowest fan speed. When you think it has slowed down all it is going to in FULL AUTO, reach over and tap the fan button. A single tap will turn the fan on its lowest speed and change in from FULL AUTO to AUTO mode. I have found that by doing this there is almost always a slower speed available. Tap the botton to change it back into full auto and the fan kicks up another notch. It is really like FULL AUTO does not know the lowest fan speed exists. I know this is a rather minor point, but I find it really annoying for some reason. I would like to know if this is "just the way it is" or if my otherwise perfect MDX has a problem.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I checked mine last night & after reading all posts today - I would say you have a problem. Mine goes to the lowest setting in full auto. Also the rear air duct isn't normal eithir. Maybe you can try a diff dealer since the one you are using seems to be ignoring you.

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts