Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purcheased a 2002 MDX with touring and navi package....but I wanna raise the suspension so I can go over the curbs without worry...and off roading of course :) Please, if anyone has any advice on what I should do please post it..any pics of a raised MDX??? Think it would look wierd? Let me know! I live in miami and need a place to get it done too...hope to hear from you all soon!:2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It will make your MDX less stable, which can be compensated some by going with larger than standard diameter wheels.

Raising height and going with larger than std. diameter wheels:

1) Will throw off your navi.
2) Will throw off other systems in the car dependent on tire diameter to determine road speed.
3) May put additional stress on drivetrain components.
4) It may well void your warranty, and also make insurance claims a problem if you have an accident.
5) It will degrade the handling characteristics of the car.

Raising height and not going with larger than std. diameter wheels.

1) Yes, it will look weird.
2) It may well void your warranty, and also make insurance claims a problem if you have an accident.
3) It will make your MDX much less stable.
4)It will degrade the handling characteristics of the car.

Advantages of raising vehicle:

You can go over curbs.

This is not a HD off road vehicle, get a hold of an older jeep, etc. and mod away!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Go over curbs?

I'm confused. Off roading generally means you go to a trail or designated area with unpaved areas. I generally consider the stuff on the other of curbs to be sidewalks or lawns. I don't think that is really a place that you should driving...

;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
MDX Monster Truck?

I don't think so.

I think you have your vehicle confused with an American body-on-frame truck.

A jacked up sleek and sporty mini-van with off-road mega tires is not a pretty sight. You'll get a lot of attention, I'm sure, but probably not a lot of respect.

It hurts to even think about it! Please reconsider in order to avoid image degradation for the rest of us.

And this comes from someone who has a few miles of not only 4x4 trails, but also ATV trails on my MDX.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
dieselburn, I'm with you on this one!!

dieselburn said:
I recently purcheased a 2002 MDX with touring and navi package....but I wanna raise the suspension so I can go over the curbs without worry...and off roading of course :) Please, if anyone has any advice on what I should do please post it..any pics of a raised MDX??? Think it would look wierd? Let me know! I live in miami and need a place to get it done too...hope to hear from you all soon!:2:
I too would've liked the MDX to be just about 1 to 1.5 inches higher from the ground (Actually all they needed to do is better "tuck in" those hanging components underneath and "push" those rear suspension arms, which are begging to be damaged :eek:, a bit further up.

However, one way of doing this, which I considered, but am afraid to do now because of possible problems with VTM-4/ABS/VSA (Navi can always be re-calibrated - there's a way to do this), was to put a larger tire (about 3/4" higher sidewall) to increase ground clearance just under an inch. With this you can easily accomplish what you're looking for - light to moderate off roadability.
On an "imaginary" scale of:
LIGHT
LIGHT-MEDIUM
MEDIUM
MEDIUM-HEAVY DUTY and
HEAVY DUTY
.......with LIGHT being rough unpaved roads and HEAVY DUTY being the Rubicon Trail with huge boulders, I'd say you'd achieve "medium" capability with about an inch more ground clearance. Right now on this same scale I would consider a stock MDX a "light-medium"

However, as far as raising the MDX (with a lift-kit - I dont think one's available anyways), I think this is not at all a good idea as it could affect so many different handling attributes of the vehicle, not to mention the warranty and overall reliability of the vehicle (may stress some components).

Another obstacle one runs into while trying to find a larger tire for the MDX is tire size availabilty. Choice of tires for the 17" wheels on the MDX are very very limited. The only sizes I've found at tirerack.com are:

Michelin Pilot LTX - 255/65/17 - increases ground clearance by 0.5 inch (not sure if it fits the stock wheel which is 6.5" wide) - I think it needs a 7" wide wheel

Michelin LTX A/S - 245/70/17 - increases ground clearance by 0.75 inch (most likely will fit the stock wheel)

Michelin Cross Terrain - 245/65/17 - increases ground clearance by 0.3 inch (again most likely will fit the stock wheel) - However the increase in ground clearance here is very marginal, but for the MDX any little bit that can be had is a bonus.

I'm very likely leaning towards the 245/65/17 cross terrains because it's very unlikely to affect the VTM-4/ABS/VSA systems due to the very small increase in sidewall height. Additionally it only changes the speedometer reading by 1.8%. I was told by Acura corporate that a small increase (under an inch of sidewall height) will not affect anything as long as ALL FOUR tires are the exact same size. They said more than that could put additional stress on the transmission and suspension components.

As a thought, I might consider the 245/70/17s after some more research on this to ensure that it will not adversely affect any of the above mentioned components in any way. However, the speedo reading will be off quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Bruce, could you PLEASE enlighten me....

TheyCallMeBruce said:
................And this comes from someone who has a few miles of not only 4x4 trails, but also ATV trails on my MDX.
........on how capable the MDX really is in off-road situations from a GROUND-CLEARANCE perspective. I have heard from many that the VTM-4 is very capable as far as traction goes, but I have found it impossible to get any feedback as to the MDX's true ability in the "outback", to clear small obstacles without harming it's belly ;) (I'm not talking about serious boulder bashing, but rather, badly degraded roads, ability to straddle rutted trails and fire trails with light rocks/debris strewn about, ability to climb over SMALL logs on the trails etc.

Any insight gained from REAL-WORLD experience (and photos if you have any) is greatly appreciated :6:

THANKS!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: Bruce, could you PLEASE enlighten me....

vicpai said:

........on how capable the MDX really is in off-road situations from a GROUND-CLEARANCE perspective. I have heard from many that the VTM-4 is very capable as far as traction goes, but I have found it impossible to get any feedback as to the MDX's true ability in the "outback", to clear small obstacles without harming it's belly ;) (I'm not talking about serious boulder bashing, but rather, badly degraded roads, ability to straddle rutted trails and fire trails with light rocks/debris strewn about, ability to climb over SMALL logs on the trails etc.

Any insight gained from REAL-WORLD experience (and photos if you have any) is greatly appreciated :6:

THANKS!
Pictures, even? No, this kind of driving is way too intense to be thinking about composition and contrast lighting. Constantly need to judge whether to go ahead, or stop and check clearances. I'm not an expert in 4x4 off-road driving, but as crazy as it gets (2-3" side clearance, filling pits with logs/rocks), I'm actually pretty conservative. I'm constantly getting out and estimating clearances and drops as I painstakenly inch forward in challenging terrain. I'm much more concerned with getting stuck in deep mud than getting hung over a boulder. There's no way to check the sink-depth of a muddy wash. Then you understand the importance of a high-torque bumper winch, fitted with rollers so the cable can also go under and behind the vehicle. I can't give you dimensional measures. I think in terms of whether that grapefruit sized rock is sitting on soft dirt or hard-packed soil, as to whether it will give way under my frame, or will actually cause some damage. After a while you get good at guessing at the compactness of the road by the texture and other clues, and when the rock is larger or the ground is firmer than usual, I'll play it safe and visually check clearances as I approach. I've learned to take along a pick-adzel if the wheel grooves are too deep and obstructions keep me from driving along the edge of the road, to flatten out certain areas. I'm gonna take a tree-branch saw with me next time I plan on going on ATV trails to make it easier to clear tight spots (no eco-damage, just helping to maintain the trail, for free).

My concern is more with the unibody construction of the MDX. In some spots, the ruts where so deep, I was teeter-tottering on diagonally opposing wheels. In the past, it was scary enough in my 4x4 Explorer, but with the MDX, I was becoming very concerned with frame flexing. The difference can be like trying to twist a ladder, to twisting a cardboard box. Hard to describe; kind of like a flippity-floppy feeling in the X, opposed to a jagged-rocky type motion in the Explorer. It made for a very unstabble roller coaster ride.

In a nutshell, the MDX is definitely not engineered for off-road use, but if you force it to, it will come through for you, as with most 4x4 vehicles, even wagons like Subarus. It won't come apart on you, but it could be considered bordering on abusive if you push it too hard. Like everyone has been saying, moderate off-road use.

Speaking of off-roading, what is Zaino for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts