Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the arrival of warm weather, I am finally opening the sunroof.

Last week, it started an annoying squeaking over bumps, etc while fully open. I thought it was the sunroof, but now the headliner sqeaks with the sunroof closed too! If I push up in front of the dome light, the squeak stops. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
In my current car

I experience the exact same thing...have no idea why it does that sorry. Sure hope it doesn't happen when we get our new MDX!

·
Registered
221 Posts
There was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the NHTSA site for something very similar to what you are describing. See http://www.autopedia.com/html/NHTSAtsb.html

I have not experienced this on my MDX.

Here is the summary:
Summary: ON ALL 1999-01 3.2TL, 2001 3.2CL AND 2001 MDX MODEL VEHICLES, THE MOONROOF SEAL SQUEAKS AGAINST THE ROOF WHEN THE GLASS IS CLOSED AND THE SUNSHADE IS OPEN.

enter:
Make: Acura
Model: Acura
Year: 2001

·
Registered
56 Posts
I noticed a few squeaks as well, but after a while I noticed it was my sunglasses rattling around in the sunglass holder. I must have put them in awkwardly and when I went over any bumps I would hear a rattling/squeaking noise. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had the headliner/sunroof squeak/rattle a while back. First time they thought it was the issue raised in the NTSB filing- they "cleaned and lubed" the rubber seal. Didn't work.

Second time they removed the headliner and replaced the center seatbelt top mount trim piece. Didn't work.

Third time was a charm- replaced the left sunroof railing assembly. fixed it.

It has something to do with the sunroof motor mount,- I believe it vibrates over bumps. I've not looked at it though with the liner out.

Ard

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI, there are now two TSB's for this problem. The sunroof motor mounting bolts apparently come loose, causing the squeaks. I had to return for a second adjustment, but it is now back to squeak free driving!

·
Registered
616 Posts
jford62 said:
FYI, there are now two TSB's for this problem. The sunroof motor mounting bolts apparently come loose, causing the squeaks. I had to return for a second adjustment, but it is now back to squeak free driving!
Yep, that's the check. If you can push up on the headliner near the dome light and the squeak stops, then that is the sunroof motor mount squeak - as you found out, it is easily fixed and the service departments are aware of this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the rattle in the headliner also. I can create the sound, even when the vehicle is stopped, by pushing up on the headliner before the light. Were you able to create the rattle this way? Thanks.

·
Registered
619 Posts
jford62 said:
The sunroof motor mounting bolts apparently come loose, causing the squeaks. I had to return for a second adjustment, but it is now back to squeak free driving!
that's what i got done. No squeaks now!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts