Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tail lights and headlights are about had it from just florida. the headlights are walleyeing out (yellower than a toenail) and the tail lights while clear looking are getting a crazing look to the plastic. While OE looks nice.. is there a better look out there? how have some of you goosed up the looks of your light assemblies? I've seen some I like the looks of that basically take the silver and swap it for an anodized/black look. but maybe you guy's n gals have something better. what say you?

·
Registered
35 Posts
To each is own. I decided when I purchased my used 04 MDX that I wasn't pleased with the headlights at all. Replacing them seemed like a good idea. But I wondered if there was something better. Maybe if they developed a kit that could really get the headlights looking near new again.

I've been following a car cleaning supply company on youtube called The Chemical Guys. They have lots of step-by-step videos showing how to sand, polish, and seal your headlights. I spent probably $100 for the kit, but I was able to do my other vehicle as well. Might need to pickup some more sanding sheets but otherwise my investment will provide me doing my headlights for years to come.

The sealer is said to last up to 12 months. I'm ok with the process once a year if it keeps my headlights looking like new. But don't take my word for it. Check out the video for yourself.

I've not provided enough posts so if you type in How To: Best Headlight Restoration Method in a youtube search it's the first video.

P.S. Once I did my first headlight the rest just got faster once I got the process down. That's what say I. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I actually liked the tail lights in my MDX, but the "egg yolk" look of the turn signal bulbs always bothered me. So I put I LED bulbs - they are silver, but light up orange. That small change made a big difference in the look of the rear end of the car (well, it did to me, though I'm certainly more anal about things like that than most). ;-)

For some reason, the image I included won't display (for me, anyway), though I made sure the link was accurate...

Cleaning headlights is also a great idea. It's not difficult to get 'em looking nearly new, though you DO have to put some sort of sealant on them to keep them that way for more than a few months at a time. I used to just hit my headlights with polishing compound, then wax. Then I clear-coated them with a two-part (mixed in the rattle can) clear coat, and they still looked new about a year later when I sold the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Once you clean/replace your headlights, look for Xpel headlight protection kit (I believe 3M and a couple of other companies also make them). They will keep them looking fresh for years. Maybe you can do a DIY solution for your taillights with similar material.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts