Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I handed her 2011 MDX down to our teenage daughters last summer. It's been a great car, providing 90k+ safe and reliable miles. It's in excellent mechanical shape and good cosmetic shape with just the usual scratches and dings you'd find on a nine year-old family hauler. Anyway, it's taken good care of us and we're definitely going to keep this vehicle for the long haul.

So just as my office went to full-time telework in mid-March, I noticed the MDX’s headlights were in need of repair/restoration. After doing a little research on the best DIY products, I purchased Sylvania’s headlight restoration kit back in April and finally got around to doing the work today. While I’m a pretty decent weekend detailer, I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive as I definitely didn’t want screw this up. I watched several YouTube videos to be certain I understood the steps and the process. I also read the directions multiple times before getting started. For those who haven’t attempted this repair, it wasn’t very hard and the most difficult part was that it was time consuming. While not perfect I think it turned out pretty well. I'm not sure how long these kits tend to last, but $25 once every year or two easily beats paying someone else to do it or buying new headlamps.

Here are some before and after shots. I'm very happy with the end results and would definitely recommend the Sylvania product to others.

CF31C9ED-0BEE-4061-A575-83E2839A6985.jpeg
B11FDA98-EA7D-49F1-B9CE-594D9006A8EB.jpeg

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It's easy to get initial result. It is hard to keep the good look for a long period of time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Did you use a uv coating like McKee's 37 headlight coating?
I did four of my cars and used McKee's. Store the left over bottle upside down, to keep it from hardening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you use a uv coating like McKee's 37 headlight coating?
I did four of my cars and used McKee's. Store the left over bottle upside down, to keep it from hardening.
Yeah, I used whatever coating was included in the Sylvania kit. After the cleaning, sanding, and polishing, you add a UV protector. My hope is that it lasts a couple years...we'll see.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The UV coating will make the restoration last longer. I used the same kits and very pleased with the results. The hardiest part is applying the clear coat. It’s a one shot deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The UV coating will make the restoration last longer. I used the same kits and very pleased with the results. The hardiest part is applying the clear coat. It’s a one shot deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're not kidding...it's even harder if you pour too much out and it messes with the application process. I'll have to get some of the McKee's product. I don't have ceramic coatings on our cars but I do love their Sio 2 car spray and soap. It's really good for the weekend detailer....as long as you keep ahead of the game.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts